Super Mario Nova UPDATE 19/09/2018 + BETA TESTERS NEEDED

Description: SMBX-38A projects which are currently WIP belong here.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Moderators, Semi-moderatos

Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount
Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount
Youtube channel URL Twitter

Post #1by Eri7 » 27 Dec 2016, 0:58

(This project is gonna be on smbx 1.4.4)

Hey guys, 2 years have officially passed since my project has been revealed to the public. Thank you for all of the support i received during these 2 years of development. This project has gone through a lot of different iterations because i wasn't satisfied with how it turned out but now, i feel like we have finally reached a line which we could call the first real starting line for the project. This doesn't mean that all of my past progress will go to waste but a lot of stuff will be redesigned to fit with my new vision of this project. So thank you for following the development of this big journey for these past 2 years. Lets hope it all goes well and the second demo gets released soon.

So this is my dev team, roles in bold mean what the members specialize in.

Outdated:
Spoiler
Flatkiwi - Beta Tester, Story Helper and Graphics Designer.
8luestorm - Beta Tester and Story Helper.
TawPawNaw - Beta Tester and Story Helper.
Yoshi Superstar - Beta Tester and Story Helper.
Dudsans2005 - Beta Tester and Story Helper.
NightyThomas456 - Beta Tester and Story Helper.
PeaMix - Story Helper.
Cedur - Beta Tester.
MemeLorr - Beta Tester.
Eric - Beta Tester.
Taycamgame - Story Helper.
Vito - Story Helper.
Dino - Story Helper.
ariinui - Story Helper.
MrSecuPupps - Beta Tester.
Mario - Graphics Designer.
Eclipsed - Youtube Promotor/Streamer.
TedNeeTed - Logo Designer.

Spoiler
The Story about this project is about Mario becoming a true hero.He will meet a lot of different kind of people in his world and he will need their help to solve challenges he as a plumber, can't really solve by himself.During his journey, his team will slowly build up into a bigger team with a lot of different perspectives that will change how Mario will face his future challenges.This story will have Mario as the lead character but other characters will get their moment to shine and will play a vital role into the story.If you like big stories about exploring a world full with interesting places and different kind of people, then this story will meet your expectations.

Regions are what your usual Worlds in your mario games be like if they go divided into different peaces with their own Chapter of the story to tell alongside a final challenge to face off and their own impact on the story.
There are also sub regions which are smaller regions but unlike normal regions, they don't have their own chapter to tell, instead most of them are connected to other chapters.
Currently not much progress has been done on the planning part of the regions but World 1 will be separated into 3 regions and few sub regions.
This is the current progress of the 1st region.
(Also these gifs/screenshots might be considered OUTDATED because few changes are planned for the hud design, world map design and gameplay for the region system.)

Spoiler

Spoiler
to be added soon

Here is where i will talk about the concepts for my project.
They are meant to be ideas that i would want to add to my project, i will represent them here.

Here is the most important concept, Assist characters!

Assist characters are npcs which follow you during gameplay.
They have at least 3 different moves, but few assist characters can have either less/more moves or transformation moves.
Their moves are separated into 3 categories and some assist characters follow only 1-2 categories and others all 3 of them.
Here they are:
Offensive moves deal damage to enemy npcs and bosses, they can also be mixed with the defence and support category such as using an offensive move to block an attack/projectile or using it to progress further in a certain area.
Defensive moves are used to provide a defence or cover for the player against incoming projectiles or certain type of enemies.
Support moves are used to provide a power up, buff or another means of support to help out the player.

There are also passive moves that fit into one of these categories. Most assist characters have a passive move that triggers only during certain circumstances and can vary from a transformation to a sequence to its own move.

Assist characters can be stunned which results into adding certain amount of time into the cooldown.
Spoiler

These moves can be triggered by the player and after execution, the moves will fall into a countdown until they are ready to use again after a certain period of time. Assist characters can be swapped for others during gameplay if available.
Some assist characters can fly and others can't. The main cast of assist characters play a vital role in the story.
This is the main cast:
Spoiler
Thomas Image

A young builder, he likes reading tales about heroes and is always ready to help out people. He is very kind hearted and doesn't give up easily.

Greencat Image

He is a friendly cat. He like Thomas likes to help people but he is aware that some people are not trust worthy. Thomas is his owner and both like to play fun minigames.

Ivan Image

He likes making jokes, bad jokes. He doesn't take stuff too seriously but when he does, he gets really serious about it. He also has a vibrant personality and likes to make a lot of movie and anime references.

Seta Star Image

A very smart yoshi and has deep knowledge of how to make cool gadgets. However he has problems with controlling his anger and because of his past events with humans, he doesn't trust people anymore.

Olympus Image

A being born out of destruction. He tries to medidate to control his other destructive personality. He is very prideful and doesn't like interacting with people.

Kewee Image

A spirit of darkness. Luckily he's on your side! Kewee is usually pretty chill, but if you anger him you'll be in for a deadly surprise.
He's oddly nervous around Luigi...

Then we have Story Arcs! They are the mean of progression in the both side story and main story. Story Arcs are divided in different chapters with their own theme and big story to tell while the story arcs tell their individual stories but then their stories end up in one conclusion/finale of a chapter. In order to beat a story arc, you have to do certain objectives present in it like a quest, some story arcs are very simple such as most of the side story arcs as they only require you to beat one level. Beating certain story arcs unlocks certain side story arcs. Side story arcs are 50% canon which means you can play the whole game without needing to play the side content however the final battle changes a bit if all of the side story arcs are beaten and hey, beating side story arcs grants you different rewards that can help you out in the main story. Also beating a story arc gives you a blue star which can be used to unlock certain story arcs and show your progression as a true adventurer ready to take every challenge.

Time to talk about the villains.
First off we will start with Nova. He is the villain who sets the plot in motion however he controls his battles from the shadows. He is very experienced and uses logic and strategy in his fights.

Then we have Null, he is one of Nova's followers and he is very powerful as he can glitch reality and bring out the most negative emotions of every being however he lacks the experience to use his powers correctly.

And last but not least, we have Darkstein. He is the only one without powers, kinda like Iron-Man, he designed his own suit with his own technology and uses his machines and different kinds of suits to fight however he has another unknown persona that he uses to fight his mind battles.

So that's it for the main villains, there are however some minor villains that will be present in Super Mario Nova so i'll leave them to find them on your own in the project.

How can you support me?
There are multiple ways. You can join my dev team and provide your services so the speed and quality of making this big project can increase.
You can also advertise this project through youtube videos, streams or even putting these in your signature and even just by only talking about it in various smbx related discord servers. Sparking its popularity can mean more people can support the project!

Spoiler
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: https://youtu.be/23MjOAMAtZY

phpBB [youtube]

Original link: https://youtu.be/q3I3hLR-8S8

phpBB [youtube]

Original link: https://youtu.be/vG5HrQWDNHA

Last edited by Eri7 on 9 Dec 2019, 23:31, edited 46 times in total.
Join the discord server about Nova Projects.

Alvespires M
Count
Count
Alvespires M
Count
Count

Post #2by Alvespires » 27 Dec 2016, 1:03

Hey,this sounds fun.I'm looking forward for it.Good screenshoots,you surely is a good level designer.I'm rooting for you!
Last edited by Alvespires on 2 Jan 2017, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Not really up to it.

MACKACHE
Lord
Lord
MACKACHE
Lord
Lord
Website Twitter

Post #3by MACKACHE » 27 Dec 2016, 4:18

Original post
Well this episode/project looks promising and very well made than mine(that's what I call it lol). Good luck on your project !
Alright, I hate double posting so I would like to edit my current post here. So here's my review.
Super Mario Nova Preview
Music variants
The level has a good music choice, the SMW PSwitch music is the probably a boring idea. Yes it's possible to change the music. By using the PSwitch's event. I couldn't tell you more things of changin PSwitch musics. I'll probably post it later.

Graphics
Almost the level was pretty vanilla, it means without using any CG. The level is making it more fun and enjoyment, so you'll probably uses someone's SMB1-W graphics. I'm a fan of SMW graphics. I really liked the SMB3 graphics too but it's outline was boring, I don't blame ya heh and the other ones. I really like it.

Atmosphere
I love a New Mario Wii, Mario 3DLand and New Mario U instead of the original ones. Seriously, I like how you make an intro for every level. Is it really easy to do ? Entertaining ! A few things are broken like the starman music. When the invincibility star ends, it's music still going on. Another thing that goes weird is the following picture:
Spoiler
1-27-2017_20h50m13s774ms.png
Look at the green next to blue one
And another one is uh:
Spoiler
1-27-2017_20h51m47s254ms.png
whoa trump
you know that 1x1 px do not fit with SMBX
HUB design is a pretty good choice, until you dunno the error is. I like the HUB design, your episode is similar to Star Expedition. Just sayin' :letter:

R. Ratings: 7.2/10

aaa
Good citizen
Good citizen
aaa
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #4by aaa » 29 Jan 2017, 11:55

Man, this episode is going to take up my storage!
I'll test that now. :acute:
Last edited by aaa on 3 Feb 2017, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

delete this account
delete this account

Post #5by delete this account » 30 Jan 2017, 5:16

Minecelot wrote:Man, this episode is going to take up my storage!
I'll test that now. (A lot of Emojis)

Why do you mean by these Emojis?

Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount
Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount

Post #6by Eri7 » 1 Feb 2017, 0:43

New update available! Check my new level played by Greendan!

Greendan M
Viscount
Viscount
Greendan M
Viscount
Viscount
English Pronouns: He/Him
Youtube channel URL

Post #7by Greendan » 1 Feb 2017, 1:01

Eri7 wrote:New update available! Check my new level played by Greendan!
:blush: :clapping:
Current Project:

You've cat to be kitten me right meow!

I Support:

aaa
Good citizen
Good citizen
aaa
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #8by aaa » 3 Feb 2017, 14:48

Eri7, please try to reduce the music to like 1 minute to 3 minutes.
The Sky Panel Theme - Super Mario 3D Land Music is 29:59!
Please consider, by the way, good job! :clapping:

MACKACHE
Lord
Lord
MACKACHE
Lord
Lord
Website Twitter

Post #9by MACKACHE » 3 Feb 2017, 16:33

Minecelot wrote:reduce the music to like 1 minute to 3 minutes.
I know I'm not "him". But just answering.
Why though ? Is it okay to have a longer music than 1-5 minutes ?
ImageImage

aaa
Good citizen
Good citizen
aaa
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #10by aaa » 3 Feb 2017, 16:50

RSupertheGreat wrote:
Minecelot wrote:reduce the music to like 1 minute to 3 minutes.
I know I'm not "him". But just answering.
Why though ? Is it okay to have a longer music than 1-5 minutes ?

I know, but if the music is large, It will take long to download.

Core
Our friend
Our friend
Core
Our friend
Our friend

Post #11by Core » 11 Feb 2017, 17:30

So, i played not the whole demo. But anyway, lets start.
Through some levels i (dunno why) felt a smb3 feeling, maybe because of graphics. Yeah, i know it has some 1 pixel graphics, and sometime they aren't used in right way, but sometime it is. That new screens looks not that bad actually, but we should end with demo. So the level 1 was simple, and level 2 was a lot better, maybe because of "parallax" background. Hub doesn't look bad, but that pillar looks a bit off, and that lighting is kinda cool. Now we are going into the new screens. That second screen looks amazing actually, but we should remember, that you use a 3d graphics, so i think its kinda mix, but anyway, i always thought that 3d graphics shouldn't be in 2d games, but yeah, theres some games, for example 3d pinball, theres kinda "3d" graphics. But if somewhere block design is 3d, then whats with mario..? Anyway, now i will judge old screens (or just screens), i don't like that grey ghost house, it kinda looks empty, everything else is 3d level, or just a level, with a unique design, which only some use. Don't recommend you to use that paint.net lighting in first screen of new screens, its cool, i know, but believe me, theres a lot better effects, and pixel lighting will probably took me to classical times, like that smooth edges of some graphics, like coins, switches and etc.. I like, that you use some npcs, that doesn't exist in smbx 1.4 (yes, this episode is for 1.4x), also liked that darkness, kinda feels a little original. So what i like in these screens? I like the blue castle screen, it looks a lot better than others, and i like 2nd screen in new screens, i like that lighting in up. Anyways, good luck on improving things!

Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount
Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount

Post #12by Eri7 » 25 Feb 2017, 1:24

New update as always!Expect some more updates on 28/02/2017!

Zwertll
Close friend
Close friend
Zwertll
Close friend
Close friend

Post #13by Zwertll » 25 Feb 2017, 4:22

About 24/02 update: This map is cool.

Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount
Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount

Post #14by Eri7 » 1 Mar 2017, 3:17

New update guys , its little one but still you should check it out!

NT2002 M
Duke
Duke
NT2002 M
Duke
Duke

Post #15by NT2002 » 1 Mar 2017, 15:20

I have seen them.

I support these projects:
Spoiler
SMBX Projects:
Super Mario and the Rainbow Stars
Super Mario: Magic Brick Adventure
SMBX Greendan Edition
Super Mario Infinity
Super Mario and the Moon Curse
Super Mario Bros. Origins

Non-SMBX Projects:
Super Mario: All-Star Attack!

Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount
Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount

Post #16by Eri7 » 4 Mar 2017, 1:14

New update guys , now you can help the project by submitting levels to it that will be playable in Princess Daisy's Castle and you can earn stuff like power-ups or things on the world map by it!

Ice
Duke
Duke
Ice
Duke
Duke

Post #17by Ice » 4 Mar 2017, 2:53

THI WORLD MAP IS AMAZING :shout: :good:
I-I-I-I-T'S-A-ICE TIME! :cool:

also i don't check this site often so sorry if I reply really late :fool:
My Projecct:

Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount
Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount

Post #18by Eri7 » 22 Aug 2017, 21:13

Hey guys I'm sorry that I'm not updating my topic about the project , right now Im having some problems but I still work on it and I decided that my second demo will contain everything that I've made and will make from world 1 to world 3 so it will take some time to finish the demo because right now I'm 66% finished with the demo.

Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount
Eri7 M
Topic author, Viscount
Viscount

Post #19by Eri7 » 21 Oct 2017, 13:57

Greendan M
Viscount
Viscount
Greendan M
Viscount
Viscount
English Pronouns: He/Him
Youtube channel URL

Post #20by Greendan » 21 Oct 2017, 23:19

Very creative and ambitious! I really like the videos, and the whole episode as well! :)
Current Project:

You've cat to be kitten me right meow!

I Support:

Return to “Projects”