Super Mario Bros. X2
|Super Mario Bros. X2|
|Latest version:||2.0.0b4 (January 2020)|
|Coded in:||Lua, C++|
Super Mario Bros. X2 (also known as SMBX2, SMBX 2.0) is a collaborative, open-source project to improve and expand upon the original SMBX. SMBX2 was founded by Horikawa Otane and the first public build was released in December 2015.
SMBX2 is a set of multiple tools and components developed in different repositories. SMBX 184.108.40.206 is used as a base for SMBX2. Most of the new features are written in Lua.
- An smbx.exe file built by Redigit in October 2010 for the SMBX 1.3 release.
- LunaLua - An extension framework with Lua scripting support. Library licensed under GNU GPLv3.
- SMBX Launcher - A new launcher for SMBX2 built with Qt and QWebEngine. Developed in the same repository as LunaLua, licensed under GNU GPLv3.
- SDL2 library - A multimedia layer library used for several purposes (originally for audio output only, but later game controller support was added), licensed under ZLib.
- SDL Mixer X - A music and sound playing and management library, a fork of SDL Mixer library. It can be used to play many sound and music formats. Library itself is licensed under ZLib; there are other linked libraries that are licensed differently (BSD/LGPL/GPLv2+/etc.).
- PGE Project - A platform game engine toolset. A development kit from PGE Project (mainly PGE Editor) is used as a main Editor for SMBX2. Licensed under GPLv3.
- Resources (graphics, music, sounds, characters, and universe) - A set of resources are replicating originals from classic Nintendo games. The content is copyrighted by the Nintendo, which doesn't sponsor, authorize, or endorse this project in any way. This content must be used fairly. Commercial usage is not allowed.
SMBX 2.0 Open Beta
The first announcement of the SMBX 2.0 project was published on December 2, 2015. The first release was published some days later as "SMBX 2.0 Open Beta", however it was quickly replaced with Release 2 which fixed several critical bugs that had been found in it.
SMBX 2.0 Open Beta Release 2
On December 14, 2015, a second release was published as a hot-fix for the first release.
SMBX 2.0 Beta 3
On September 20, 2016, a third release was published with a major set of additions including new blocks, new NPCs, and three new playable characters.  At this point the separate builds of LunaLua over SMBX 1.3 were discontinued and all updates to LunaLua were integrated solely into SMBX2.
On March 30, 2019, the SMBX2mx3 version was released. It was a preview build of SMBX2b4, with a mostly complete feature-set. The build's primary purpose was to be used for the MAGLX3 Level Contest, hence mx3.
SMBX2 PAL Release
On June 23, 2019 the PAL version was released. It fixed several issues with the SMBX2mx3 version and added some additional functionality.
SMBX2 Beta 4 (2.0.0.b4)
On January 31, 2020, the Beta 4 version was released. This update fixed several issues with the SMBX2 Beta 4 preview builds and added additional functionality. It included changes that may cause behavioral inconsistencies with levels made on preview builds or Beta 3 and is a stable release of SMBX2 sufficient for releasing episodes.