Bug Mega-thread (Part II)

Description: Report bugs of SMBX-38A here.
Forum rules: https://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1069
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Website

Post #1by Lx Xzit » 23 Jun 2020, 7:51

Before to start this topic I want to point something. In the previous part of this point I pointed that shells should not damage the players after 36 frames they were released. Well, it turns out that this doesn't happen only with shell, but with all NPCs. For example:
Spoiler
example.gif
example.gif (18.54 KiB) Viewed 68 times

Players:
  1. When the players transforms/ends the transformation of the statue, they should be invisible for 6 frames and reproduce the effect-131. This is similar to the other grown animation with Leaf, Frog Suit and other power-ups of this kind. I also recommend shorten the particle speed by half. They spread a bit too much.
    Spoiler
    34.gif
    34.gif (22.05 KiB) Viewed 68 times

2. When the player is skidding in the statue form, show the skid effect (74). But please don’t produce the skid sound effect, leave alone the visual effect.
    Spoiler
    35.gif
    35.gif (22.87 KiB) Viewed 68 times

3. With the Leaf/Tanooki form, when the players spin jump and are holding an object, they still can hit things with the tail.
    Spoiler
    36-a.gif
    36-a.gif (47.72 KiB) Viewed 68 times

Ideally, when the players are holding NPCs and spin jumping the tail hitbox should be removed, producing a standard spin jump.
    Spoiler
    1.3 behavior:
    36-b.gif
    36-b.gif (37.23 KiB) Viewed 68 times

4. When the player is paralyzed because of a screen tremor (produced by Big Hammer Bro) they should:
    a. Not being able to attack with the tail until the tremor ends.
    b. Undo the tail attack if they were performing one.

5. The players can throw shells and hit them with the tail:
    Spoiler
    38.gif
    38.gif (15.67 KiB) Viewed 68 times

This shouldn’t happen. Don’t modify the tail hitbox, but instead set a little timer (probably 3 frames) where shells can’t be hit by the tail.

6. Suggestion: When the players break a brick with the tail, produce the effect “block hit” too (along with “block smashed”)

7. Effect-73 (the effect displayed when NPC are hit by the tail) is not playing its animations properly. Currently, it only plays the first two frames and the third and fourth are discarded. Set its frame speed to 2, and its alive time to 7, so that it matches with 1.3 and plays all the animations.

8. You can release and grab NPCs in the shrinking/growing animations:
    Spoiler
    41.gif
    41.gif (18.92 KiB) Viewed 68 times

In SMBX 1.3 if you were holding an object and got hurt/grow, you can’t release it until the animation ends, and if you were not holding anything you can’t grab npcs until the animation ends.

9. Similar to the previous point, players can pull objects in the shrink/grow animations.
    Spoiler
    42.gif
    42.gif (21.17 KiB) Viewed 68 times

10. You can also enter warps in the shrinking/growing animations. This doesn’t happen in 1.3.
    Spoiler
    43.gif
    43.gif (15.57 KiB) Viewed 68 times

11. Hammer Suit’s shell can protect you from Boomerangs when crouched. This shouldn’t happen as they are not fireballs.

12. Players invincibility timer is paused when they are warping:
    Spoiler
    45.gif
    45.gif (29.8 KiB) Viewed 68 times

I don’t know why this was changed since in 1.4.4 this didn’t happen, but wherever the reason it, it should be changed back. It feels weird and allows to some exploit while warping. Please make the invincibility timer continue normally.

13. There are various bugs with the digable sand. The block (370) and the NPC (159) despite being the same thing behaves differently. These are some errors I could notice:
    a. You can dig mounted in Yoshi (block only)
    Spoiler
    46-a.gif
    46-a.gif (11.75 KiB) Viewed 68 times
    b. You can dig consecutively and grab NPCs all without ever releasing “run” key (npc only):
    Spoiler
    46-b.gif
    46-b.gif (34.66 KiB) Viewed 68 times
    c. Excavation effects of block-370 and npc-159 are different (I think block effects are better and both should use it)
    d. Excavation time with the block is slower compared to the NPC. I personally find the block excavation time better, as the NPC feels too fast.

14. As soon as one player touches the flagpole, the events that executes when they land should be executed. Let me explain better:
    Spoiler
    47.gif
    47.gif (31.44 KiB) Viewed 68 times

In this case, immunity should be granted to the player as soon as he touches the flagpole. But that’s not all, there are several bugs with it. For example, if two players get the goal before one ended sliding, you’ll hear the sound effect twice, if you get the flagpole in the fairy status it’ll be buggy, the second player should disappear as soon as the other got the goal, and the list keeps going. All of these problems can be fixed by simply executing the events when the player lands (aka the “ending” events, like when you get the roulette”) when the player touches the flagpole, not when he’s done sliding it.

15. In 2p mode when the second character is spawning while the other played got the exit, this happens:
    Spoiler
    48.gif
    48.gif (31.23 KiB) Viewed 68 times

Suggestion: when one of the players got the exit and the other disappear, I suggest changing the effect to a coin instead of particles. I think it looks better and resembles more 1.3.

16. When you get hit by an ice balls, the time the player is frozen lasts too long (230 frames). I suggest shortening it to 180 frames as it’s not really fun being locked for that long. It also matches more NSMB games duration.

17. Players in Penguin/Frog form being landed underwater, won’t be able to jump. They stick to the floor like a glue. In fact, a jump with these statuses underwater should be the exact equivalent of pressing “up”. That said, players should also be able to go up with the “jump” button. And “jump” button shouldn’t be used to accelerate while swimming.

18. You can slide slopes underwater (any status):
    Spoiler
    51.gif
    51.gif (13.07 KiB) Viewed 68 times

When you swim:
    a. This sliding should be undone
    b. The player shouldn’t be able to slide

19. When you skid underwater, the sound effect “skid” should be removed (it doesn’t occur in 1.3, thus it gives a weird feeling)

20. When the players splash into water, their y-speed should be set to 0.5 (the same as NPCs, reported in the previous topic). This is true for all statuses except for mini-mushroom, which should keep its y-momentum when gets into the water.

21. Being underwater with the mini mushroom, you can hit a block several times quickly without respecting its cooldown.
    Spoiler
    54.gif
    54.gif (24.68 KiB) Viewed 68 times

22. Peach should gain her ability to fly after climbing.

23. Peach can’t grab objects directly in front of them:

24. The players in shell form (Shell Suit) won’t be able to jump in slopes.
    Spoiler
    57.gif
    57.gif (21.88 KiB) Viewed 68 times

b. The exact same problem occurs when sliding with the Penguin Suit. In both cases you can hear the sound effect of the player jumping but wouldn’t be able to do so.

25. Can you make Peach and Toad to not lose their shell form after they hit a block?
    Spoiler
    58.gif
    58.gif (17.88 KiB) Viewed 68 times

My guess is that this is intentional to match the original SMB2 shell behavior. But the truth is, this ruins a lot of level designs. Every time people build levels around shell suit, they expect to the players to bounce back and keep breaking block continuously, like in this scenario:
    Spoiler
    58-b.gif
    58-b.gif (13.13 KiB) Viewed 68 times

But they won’t be able to do so. This greatly discourages the use of Toad and Peach in shell suit levels. I understand that you wanted it to be this way, but I see it pointless because there are no situations where you would benefit from stopping after hitting a wall like this. I hope shell suit with Toad and Peach feel as consistent as Mario and Luigi does.

26. Link’s sword attack when crouched is broken:
    Spoiler
    59-a.gif
    59-a.gif (24.99 KiB) Viewed 68 times

The sword hitbox when crouched only seems to interact with friendly npcs (ironic) by knocking them back. Aside from that, the hitbox seems non-existent.

27. When Link gets hurt and it’s on his hurting state:

a. His controls shouldn’t be disabled. In SMBX 1.3 his controls are never disabled, plus, he can control his trajectory:
    Spoiler
    60-a.gif
    60-a.gif (41.2 KiB) Viewed 68 times

b. If got hurt while ducking, you can “stand” in midair (notice the weird movement in Link)
    Spoiler
    60-b.gif
    60-b.gif (44.42 KiB) Viewed 68 times

c. As you can see in the previous gif, Link sprite is off-calibrated when ducked. This happens because he received the hit ducked, and she should stand and not being able to duck in this state. This is directly related with the previous point.
    Spoiler
    60-c.jpg
    60-c.jpg (10.04 KiB) Viewed 68 times

28. Pulling NPCs in moving platforms gives you a weird momentum. In this image, I didn’t press any directional input besides down, and I was pushed with a strange force to the right. This is especially noticeable in the level “the invasion” from The Invasion 2.
    Spoiler
    61.gif
    61.gif (53.14 KiB) Viewed 68 times

(Part III is pending. It'll feature a few bugs related to Yoshi and some miscellaneous ones, as well as minor suggestions)
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT
Join our 38A Discord server!

+KZ
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
+KZ
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #2by +KZ » 24 Jun 2020, 3:52

Lx Xzit wrote:
3 With the Leaf/Tanooki form, when the players spin jump and are holding an object, they still can hit things with the tail.
Spoiler
36-a.gif

Ideally, when the players are holding NPCs and spin jumping the tail hitbox should be removed, producing a standard spin jump.
Spoiler
1.3 behavior:
36-b.gif

I think its not a bug
:ɔ ଇ ଈ چ :Ɖ :ɛ
GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Userbars

RND

Return to “Bug reports”