Bug Mega-thread (Part I)

Description: Report bugs of SMBX-38A here.
Forum rules: https://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1069
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Website

Post #1by Lx Xzit » 14 Jun 2020, 8:48

I played The Invasion 2: Revolution and wrote all the bugs/problems I could notice. I also wrote a few suggestions. I will split this topic in 2 (or 3) parts because of how long it is. It's already written but the images and obtaining some values takes some time. Without further to add, please read this topic carefully.

World Map:
  1. The player shouldn’t be able to walk until the camera returns back the player.

2. Sometimes you can mess player walking animations. This generally happens when you exit a level or changed direction (i.e. if you were walking vertically and switched to horizontally). This problem is really hard to reproduce but is very common, it has always been there. My belief is that this happens because walking animation timers are not clearer when direction.
    Spoiler
    2.gif
    2.gif (7.52 MiB) Viewed 62 times

Even if you’re unable to reproduce this bug, I suggest changing the way the animation works, something like this: frame 1 to 8 -> animation 1; frame 9 to 16 -> animation 2. And not changing it every X frames which is may be messing the animations.

3. When you switch character in the world map screen (when paused) it should play the sound effect “slide”.

4. When auto-saving is enabled, the world should be saved every time the player enters a level, not only when they clear one. Sometimes you repeat a level you already beat and you expect the world to be saved, but it wasn’t. Also, in 1.3 it saves the world when you enter a level (any level).

5. I suggest making these arrows invisible (instead of darker) when they are not in use.

Spoiler
    5.png
    5.png (7.15 KiB) Viewed 62 times

It’s just a cosmetic change that would look better. I also suggest that when you switch to one power-up to another play the sound effect “slide” (like in SMB3) and not make this window transparent.

6. I suggest increasing the walking speed in the world map just a bit. Adding 0.6 should be enough. Currently the world map navigation feels a bit too slow, and is a standard nowadays to games to let players walk faster in the world map.

7. In SMBX 1.3 when you try to move to an invalid direction, it plays the sound effect “block hit”. If this is implemented, please be aware of what could happen if the player doesn’t release this input (i.e. be careful of not producing the “block hit” every frame if the player keeps holding right for example and there’s no path to the right).

NPCS:
  1. In 1.3 when players release/hit shells, they are friendly to the player for 36 frames:
    Spoiler
    8.gif
    8.gif (37.65 KiB) Viewed 62 times

2. The NPCs I’m holding won’t protect me from an upcoming shell:
    Spoiler
    9.gif
    9.gif (23.69 KiB) Viewed 62 times

• Hitting shells as they are spawning (warp effect, generator) will result in:
    • Improper animations in the Editor (it plays spinning animations when it should be static).
    • The player getting hurt/killed:
      Spoiler
      10-b.gif
      10-b.gif (14.33 KiB) Viewed 62 times
    • The shell being pushed downwards
      Spoiler
      Honeycam 2020-06-14 00-32-06.gif
      Honeycam 2020-06-14 00-32-06.gif (25.77 KiB) Viewed 62 times
    • The player bouncing in the shell, but not kicking it (like the gif above).

I highly recommend check this behavior in 1.3 to fix it.

3. When you release shells, they should show the same effect as when they hit a wall or are kicked by the player.

1.3:
    Spoiler
    11.gif
    11.gif (5.78 KiB) Viewed 62 times

4. When a flame (npc-108) is generated by the flamethrower (npc-279), it should play the sound effect “Zelda Fire”, not “Lava”.

5. The flames (npc-108) generated by flamethrowers go too high or too low, making it hard to hit enemies in front of you. Change their maximum and minimum y-speed to 1.5 and -1.5 respectively, to match 1.3 behavior.

6. Flames are being generated in a wrong position:

Spoiler
    14-a.png
    14-a.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 62 times

14-b.png
    14-b.png (1.91 KiB) Viewed 62 times

When facing right, move it 15 pixels to the left. And when facing left, move it 15 pixels to the right.

7. Change SMB3 Para-Koopas (npc-76 and npc-161) framespeed to 4.

8. Brown Para-Goomba (npc-244) plays its animations in wrong order. The correct order is 1-3-2-4.

9. Red Para-Goomba (npc-3):
    • Should have a framespeed of 4.
    • Should play frames 1 and 2 when landed, and frames 1-3-2-4 when jumping (like Brown Para-Goomba).
    • Please note that, when landed, para-goomba has a framespeed of 8 (or is the equivalent of playing the first and the second frame twice). If done correctly, its feet frames should match normal Red Goomba (npc-2).

10. I suggest lowering the speed of Fire’s Bro fireballs to 3.8. 5 is too fast to react.

11. Fire Bro’s fireballs doesn’t interact with solid NPCs (collision is not detected).

12. When Fire Bro’s fireballs collide with a wall right when they spawned, they don’t splash. Instead, they bounce.

Spoiler
    20.gif
    20.gif (12.33 KiB) Viewed 62 times

13. Modify the trajectory of the hammers thrown by the Hammer Bros (when grabbed). I suggest setting their y-speed to -8 and x-speed to -8. But make the NPC lose a x-speed of 0.26 per frame until it reaches a value <= 0.26. Then, increase the x-speed by 0.34 until it reaches 8 again. Sounds a bit complex for a hammer but that’s how it works in 1.3:
    Spoiler
    21.gif
    21.gif (75.39 KiB) Viewed 62 times

• When the player releases the Hammer Bro it should die (no matter if it’s a soft release or a hard release)

14. Blaargs (npc-199) should be activated in 8 blocks and half of distance (274 pixels) away from the nearest player. Not in 11 blocks.

15. Blaargs are too slow to react in 1.4. They don’t attack the player in time and are basically pointless enemies. The main problem I see is that the effect of him moving the eyes up travels too slow.

I suggest trying this beautiful level (in 1.3 format). With this setup the player should be hurt/killed by the blaarg.
    blaarg-setup.lvl
    (6.41 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

16. When you freeze and unfreeze an NPC, the fireball doesn’t play its melting effect and it misses the sound effect “block hit”.
    Spoiler
    24.gif
    24.gif (26.43 KiB) Viewed 62 times

17. Make Birdo’s Eggs generate two pixels above. The egg should be able to pass through these blocks:
    Spoiler
    25.png
    25.png (1.79 KiB) Viewed 62 times

18. When a Birdo’s Egg crush into a wall and dies, add the sound effect “Block Hit”

19. When you break a Yoshi egg, you can see the egg changing color to green and the Yoshi effect appearing green:
    Spoiler
    27.gif
    27.gif (11.39 KiB) Viewed 62 times

20. When NPCs affected by gravity falls into water, set their y-speed to 0.5 (to match SMBX 1.3).
    • When Mushrooms are underwater, set their x-speed to 0.9 and -0.9 respectively.
    • In fact, in SMBX 1.3 when NPCs are walking underwater, they x-speed becomes exactly the half of their normally speed. SMBX 1.4 doesn’t seem to follow this formula.

21. The grinder (npc-179) should kill NPCs.

22. Sometimes the Grinder stop playing its sound effects. I see this since it plays the sfx every 2 frames, so I recommend making it play the sfx every 4 frames instead. It has something to do with the audio channels, but I wasn’t able to reproduce the bug consistently.

23. When an NPC killed by another (either because it was thrown by the player or is a NPC that hurts other NPCs) it doesn’t show the effect-75. Examples:

Spoiler
    31-a.gif
    31-a.gif (16.3 KiB) Viewed 62 times

31-b.gif
    31-b.gif (16.24 KiB) Viewed 62 times

Note: for the thrown NPCs, this effect only seems to be playing by solid NPCs. But this should be more consistent.

24. Releasing a Ice Block softly with Peach and Toad will make the block break:

Spoiler
    32.gif
    32.gif (12.3 KiB) Viewed 62 times

25. You should be able to stomp fishes if part of them is standing out of the water:
    Spoiler
    33.gif
    33.gif (26.81 KiB) Viewed 62 times
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT
Join our 38A Discord server!

Return to “Bug reports”