Music suggestion

Description: Have any suggestions or new ideas for SMBX-38A? This is a place for you. Good suggestions may appear in future versions of SMBX-38A.
Moderators: Lx Xzit, Yoshi021, 5438A38A, Moderators, Semi-moderatos

Yave Yu M
Topic author, Marquis
Marquis
Yave Yu M
Topic author, Marquis
Marquis
Website

Post #1by Yave Yu » 10 Aug 2018, 10:05

We know some musics which in SMBX 1.4.2~1.4.4 (and PGE, SMBX2) are not original track, they are MIDI or SPC covers, I don't like them because they are lost original songs' feeling, so can you use original songs in future? Thanks!
I made an SMBX music pack, OGG songs are looped and made them not too loud.
SMBXMusic.7z
(23.25 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
Visit my YouTube channel Yave Yu!

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #2by Wohlstand » 16 Aug 2018, 2:13

The full music pack was updated long time ago to use looped OGGs and new-ripped BRSTMs and N64/NDS chiptunes with high quality. The config pack that contains latest state of the music pack http://wohlsoft.ru/config_packs/pack_info.php?pack=SMBX13/ (inside of archive the "SMBX/data/music" folder). I'll take this to review and I'll say, is this fine, or I'll just send my stuff to 38A as update of the music pack.

Added after 15 minutes 22 seconds:
Okay, I see the difference that some themes are different:
- mario64-castle: your with reverb, my without
- mario64-cave: different parties, at my is also choir plays
- tds-metroid-charge: mine is ripped from chiptune from Tetris-DS game directly by myself, it has much better quality, it's also has a faster tempo.

Common difference:
- You have tried to reduce volume of sounds, that good
- Quality of your sounds is worse, that is not so good...

Some tips:
- When you are making compressed file, choose compression rate wisely: try to save the song in 3 level, but check it, if you will hear it is distorted a bit, then increase quality. Until you will get equal sound with no any damage. My hears are sensitive and I can hear most of sound damages produced by low-rate compressions.
- Use chiptunes instead of pre-recorded MP3s are already compressed and having distorted sound. Speaking about of PCM-based songs (are originally BRSTM or something), convert them directly from BRSTM into WAV, upsample, and put loop tags as needed, and save OGG with wisely chosen compression rate.
- Don't compress everything with low-rate, otherwise you will produce distorted sound. It's NOT good.

Added after 21 minutes 26 seconds:
Speaking on reason why I have originally replaced some songs with SPC covers: SMBX itself is tries to reproduce SNES feeling, and it's would be better to have SMW-SPC covers than those originals. For some songs are no SPC yet, and I have put MIDI covers. However, as originally I hadn't libOPNMIDI and have early implementation of libADLMIDI, the well known by Win9x drivers and annoyed FatMan bank was used. Now those libraries are giving much more power with GS/XG standard features support and that can be used. As example, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PRagjJsSq0 .

Yave Yu M
Topic author, Marquis
Marquis
Yave Yu M
Topic author, Marquis
Marquis
Website

Post #3by Yave Yu » 16 Aug 2018, 10:53

Wohlstand wrote:Okay, I see the difference that some themes are different:
- mario64-castle: your with reverb, my without
- mario64-cave: different parties, at my is also choir plays
- tds-metroid-charge: mine is ripped from chiptune from Tetris-DS game directly by myself, it has much better quality, it's also has a faster tempo.
For SM64 BGM, I edited from FLAC OST. I tried use N64 MINIUSF, but some songs have problems, such as Snow Mountain, it's slower than original, I don't know is it bad rip, I got them from Zophar's Domain. The 2 SM64 songs sounds not like original, but more near to SMBX 1.3 or 1.3.0.1, so I used them.
For Tetris DS BGM, I used MINI2SF to output WAV and edit to OGG, use original not faster speed.
And one more difference: I don't know what the happened on your sm64-desert.ogg loop...

Wohlstand wrote:Some tips:
- When you are making compressed file, choose compression rate wisely: try to save the song in 3 level, but check it, if you will hear it is distorted a bit, then increase quality. Until you will get equal sound with no any damage. My hears are sensitive and I can hear most of sound damages produced by low-rate compressions.
- Use chiptunes instead of pre-recorded MP3s are already compressed and having distorted sound. Speaking about of PCM-based songs (are originally BRSTM or something), convert them directly from BRSTM into WAV, upsample, and put loop tags as needed, and save OGG with wisely chosen compression rate.
- Don't compress everything with low-rate, otherwise you will produce distorted sound. It's NOT good.
For 1st, first I tried save 50% quality OGG, sounds OK but size is larger, so I tried save 25% quality OGG, sounds worse but decent, so I won't try more quality rate such as 30%.
For 2nd, yes, I know this, I hate MP3 too, because MP3 sucks, I usually output WAV from chiptunes or just use FLAC OST to edit OGG.
For 3rd, may be 25% is too low...

Wohlstand wrote:Speaking on reason why I have originally replaced some songs with SPC covers: SMBX itself is tries to reproduce SNES feeling, and it's would be better to have SMW-SPC covers than those originals. For some songs are no SPC yet, and I have put MIDI covers. However, as originally I hadn't libOPNMIDI and have early implementation of libADLMIDI, the well known by Win9x drivers and annoyed FatMan bank was used. Now those libraries are giving much more power with GS/XG standard features support and that can be used. As example, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PRagjJsSq0 .
Oh, so use SPC covers to make SMBX plays more like SNES feeling, that's a good idea.
But for most SMBX player, especially from older version, they like original songs than these cover.
I remember someone said: "Is it necessary to use MIDI/SPC covers to reduce file size?"
Visit my YouTube channel Yave Yu!

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #4by Wohlstand » 16 Aug 2018, 14:59

Yave Yu wrote:For SM64 BGM, I edited from FLAC OST. I tried use N64 MINIUSF, but some songs have problems, such as Snow Mountain, it's slower than original, I don't know is it bad rip, I got them from Zophar's Domain. The 2 SM64 songs sounds not like original, but more near to SMBX 1.3 or 1.3.0.1, so I used them.
Some I have ripped from MINIUSF, but some from FLAC OST as XM Player plugin I have used is crap (I probably need better emulator to play this chiptune correctly).

Yave Yu wrote:And one more difference: I don't know what the happened on your sm64-desert.ogg loop...
Probably it's a fault of XM Player plugin I have used to convert MINIUSF into WAV...

Yave Yu wrote:For 1st, first I tried save 50% quality OGG, sounds OK but size is larger, so I tried save 25% quality OGG, sounds worse but decent, so I won't try more quality rate such as 30%.
For 2nd, yes, I know this, I hate MP3 too, because MP3 sucks, I usually output WAV from chiptunes or just use FLAC OST to edit OGG.
For 3rd, may be 25% is too low...
Chiptunes are very sensitive to lossy compressions, therefore is even better to support them natively than keeping PCM-dumps of them (for both filesize and quality). Therefore it's need to be careful on quality choosing, and it's even better to increase filesize than damage a quality.

Bandit
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
Bandit
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #5by Bandit » 19 Aug 2018, 3:41

Wohlstand wrote:
Speaking on reason why I have originally replaced some songs with SPC covers: SMBX itself is tries to reproduce SNES feeling, and it's would be better to have SMW-SPC covers than those originals. For some songs are no SPC yet, and I have put MIDI covers. However, as originally I hadn't libOPNMIDI and have early implementation of libADLMIDI, the well known by Win9x drivers and annoyed FatMan bank was used. Now those libraries are giving much more power with GS/XG standard features support and that can be used. As example, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PRagjJsSq0 .

People see smbx more as an inclusive game than a simple game of snes. The original songs are better suited to the variety offered by the game.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”