SMBX 1.4.4 Drooling for Red Coins in the Dog Bone Yard

Description: Place for SMBX-38A levels. You can also post them here.
Moderators: Lx Xzit, Yoshi021, 5438A38A, TepigFan101, Moderators, Semi-moderatos

How do you rate the difficulty of this level on a scale of 1 to 10?

1 (Easiest)
No votes
No votes
Hackplayer7
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
10 (Hardest)
No votes

Total voters: 1
Bulletbill510 M
Topic author, Good citizen
Good citizen
Bulletbill510 M
Topic author, Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #1by Bulletbill510 » 1 Jun 2018, 0:16

Here is a really hard 8 red coin level I made where you have to collect 8 red coins to reveal a star at the end of the stage.
Note: From now on, I will be inserting polls on the levels that I upload so people who have played them can vote how difficult it was on a scale of 1 to 10.
Attachments
Drooling for Red Coins in the Dog Bone Yard.zip
(44.84 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
drooling for red coins in the dog bone yard.png
Feel free to visit my Youtube channel! Bulletbill510 :)

Hackplayer7 M
Citizen
Citizen
Hackplayer7 M
Citizen
Citizen

Post #2by Hackplayer7 » 1 Jun 2018, 2:27

Here are a few nitpicks :

-The dog drool thing is more misleading than necessary. It caused me to jump right into it at the beginning of the level, thinking I would be safe, causing a cheap death. Unless it's supposed to somehow fit within the bone's theme, it's best if you just remove it all together.

-To be honest, the level isn't as difficult as you make it seem to be. Maybe I'm just an experienced SMBX player, but I know people way better than me.

- At the start of the level, there's a wall that you can walk into and reveal a secret passage. How am I supposed to know that? It looks like every other regular wall.

-The chain-chomps aren't really that much of a challenge. Since you start the stage with a hammer suit, you can just kill all of them before they even have a chance to attack you.

Speaking of chain-chomps...

The red coin in the clouds.

How in the world is anyone even supposed to know how to reach that coin? I had to scroll in the editor just to even know about it's existence! The only way to reach it is by hitting a randomly placed invisible block. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but that is not good design. At all. I think you should just find another way to reach that coin.

Overall : The problem with this level is the lack of real challenge. It's not hard, it's cheap. Putting enemies everywhere doesn't make it harder, since you can just kill them in barely seconds.

If you wish to keep this level design, however, here are some tips to make it more tolerable :

-Make the player aware that they can't swim in the ''water'' as soon as the level starts.

-Either don't give the player an OP item right away or change the enemy placement so they can't be killed as soon as they spawn.

-Why not replace the invisible block leading to the red coin above with a wall-jumping challenge? It would definitely be better.

Otherwise, that's all I have to say.
If you wish to waste precious time, then my Youtube channel is for you!
Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6C05VIpTq2JgafOV_V0jsQ
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legendary quote from notrockythechao :
Honestly, I'm with eri and helmetguy. When your troubleshooting advice boils down to "use our software instead" in a thread dedicated to their software, don't expect a warm reception. And I can't speak for the other devs but I, for one, don't appreciate the reputation we've gotten of hating SMBX38A and shoving SMBX2 down peoples' throats, so could y'all please, idk, stop going into 38A spaces and shoving SMBX2 down peoples' throats?

Return to “Levels”