The Great SMBX 38A Contest II

Description: Place for SMBX-38A games that are ready to be played. You can also share them here.
Moderators: Lx Xzit, Yoshi021, 5438A38A, TepigFan101, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

Yoshi021 M
Topic author, Moderator
Yoshi021 M
Topic author, Moderator

Post #1by Yoshi021 » 25 Feb 2018, 6:51

It took a while, but the episode for the second contest is here! Get it while it is fresh.
(NOTE: Some levels were edited to improve performance)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g68o5d3qwwpsz81/The Great SMBX 38A Contest II.7z?dl=0

Reviews
10th Place Whomp Cliffs by Wellington Games (2.25)
Spoiler
Mario Kirby 2/10
Spoiler
Design: 0.5/4
Aesthetics: 1/3
Creativity: 0.5/3
This level was long, boring, and repetitive. There wasn’t really that much of a challenge here, and the boss fight is just a reskinned version of SMB3 Bowser, which isn’t anything special. Like, at all.
TepigFan101 3.5/10
Spoiler
Design: 1/4
Aesthetics: 1.5/3
Creativity: 1/3
I find this level not to be that enjoyable. I'll start with the positives. The music fits well with the theme of the level, whomps and cliffs. Now onto the negatives. There's little to no creativity on this level. There's only goombas, koopas, and occasional whomps + hammer bros.. there's no background objects to give the level more flair. I find the whomp placements to be stupid, as there's three surrounding a star coin, one on top of a platform that has little to no footing for Mario, and ones that are on top of hills, so it's hard to jump over them. The whomp king boss wasn't very creative, as it was just the SMB3 Bowser with frame 1 generator bombs. And my final complaint, the sections are too long and bland, with no gimmick to them at all. If there were more enemies, more design added, and a more creative boss, it would've gotten a higher score.
Yoshi021 1.25/10
Spoiler
Design: 0.25/4
Aesthetics: 0.75/3
Creativity: 0.25/3
This level is really repetitive. The level does not make any progression, it just repeats the same thing over and over. It simply is a flat empty land with some para-goombas, hammer bros. and some whomps scattered around. There were also some occasional spring blocks that were not utilized in a fun or creative way. The boss at the end was bad too. An SMB3 reskinned bowser with some bombs. Not only was the boss long and tedious, but the hitbox of the boss is too big and at times it will turn into unfair deaths.

9th Place Mario In The Beams by Vxzg (3.58)
Spoiler
Mario Kirby - 3.5/10
Spoiler
Design: 1.5/4
This level was very confusing. First off, the collision on some of the blocks aren’t set up correctly so that makes Mario hit walls half a block away from him, there’s no indication of which way you’re supposed to go, there are style-mixed graphics everywhere, there’s no way to know that you HAVE to collect the Big Coins, and the cannons are too hard to dodge.
TepigFan101 - 3/10
Spoiler
This level is challenging, and not in a good way. It mixes gfx from SMW and smb3, which doesn't fit the design aesthetics of the level either. It also has unfair moments, like the part where you drop down into the cage with boom-booms, and you can't see where you're gonna land. Next time, make the level more favorable for casual players and change some gfx in the level to make it match, especially the background.
Yoshi021 - 4.25/10
Spoiler
Design: 1.75/4
Aesthetics: 0.5/3
Creativity: 2/3
For the most part, this level is fine. I did appreciate that one part where you had to use wall jumps to progress through the level. The level is fun in parts. There are some big major flaws. The beam graphic is placed incorrectly making the hitbox kinda confusing to see. It is also a bit dumb that you are required to have to collect those coins to pass to the final part of the level. It would have been better if instead, collecting the three coins would make a powerup appear or some other reward. Also, the bosses were pretty lame. Something better could have been made there.

8h Place The Great Eight Bits by Pokemaster (4.08)
Spoiler
Mario Kirby - 6/10
Spoiler
Aesthetics: 2.5/3
This was a nice break from all the overly hard levels we’ve been getting. The aesthetic was nice, even if some of the NPCs didn’t completely fit in with the style. I also liked how you didn’t have to replay the whole level all over again if you failed. The only real issue was how big the structures were, and how difficult it can be to tell the difference between solid and not solid.
TepigFan101 - 4.5/10
Spoiler
I'll get the positives out first. There's no mesh of gfx in this level, it's all 8-bit, so that's good. And the concept of defeating every enemy on 8-bit models of SMB characters is a creative one that I'll give it props. The negatives.....so this level doesn't tell you that your spin jump is disabled, so when it says to kill every enemy, I try to spin jump on a koopa but can't. Instead, it's replaced with a double jump, which is also not told to you in the level. And defeating every enemy in the room to advance is kinda repetitive since that's all the level is. A gauntlet of enemies. This level could have had more potential if it was an actual level, not an enemy gauntlet.
Yoshi021 - 1.75/10
Spoiler
Design: 0.25/4
Creativity: 0.5/3
This level is...odd. This level had a cool idea, but it had an awful execution. First, it is really tedious to recognize what blocks are solid, and which are not solid. Second, some enemies hide in solid blocks, making you trying to jump on them really inconvenient. You can double jump which is just there, I guess?

7th Place Dry Fields by Gas (4.25)
Spoiler
Mario Kirby - 3.75/10
Spoiler
Design: 1.25/4
This level has some neat graphics (at least when they weren’t style-mixing), but other than that this was pretty… meh. There wasn’t any real challenge, and in all honestly, the Blue Coin gimmick doesn’t work well with Checkpoints.
TepigFan101 - 4.75/10
Spoiler
Design: 2/4
Creativity: 1.75/3
The level design is....out there. For starters, it mixes SMW and SMB1 graphics, which doesn't work that well. For example, SMB1 overworld blocks with SMW overworld blocks. Some of the enemy placements, especially the mid-boss isn't fair. Like it spawns on top of Mario when you press the TNT switch. At least the level had some creative moments like having the bone spinies pop out from underground, and the flying thwomp. But overall, it's a meh to me because of the aesthetics.
Yoshi021 - 4.25/10
Spoiler
Aesthetics: 1.75/3
This level doesn’t really have much going for. The design was pretty basic and simplistic. It had a pretty boring mid-boss, and the secret star is faulty and doesn’t always appear. The blue coins were placed in really boring and non-interesting ways.

6th Place Killer by Deice (5.17)
Spoiler
Mario Kirby 5/10
Spoiler
Design: 1.25/4
Creativity: 1.25/3
Honestly, the biggest thing holding this level back is how hard it is. If this level were made so that average SMBX player could beat it without raging or cheating, this level would have been one of the higher placing levels. The aesthetics were spot-on, and the enemy placement was rather good despite being light kaizo. Alas, the level was too hard. I’m not looking forward to actually having to beat this level in my playthrough.
TepigFan101 5.5/10
Spoiler
Aesthetics: 2/3
Creativity: 1.5/3
The level is way too challenging for any normal SMBX player. It has too many do or die moments in it. The one thing that was the most challenging were the boos, as if you look away from them for too long, you can't reach the other platform, forcing you to start over. Even though the level was kaizo, I still liked the design of how each enemy was placed, as well as the graphics choice. Everything fits well in this level, in terms of aesthetics. But other than that, this level isn't bad, it's just a little too challenging.
Yoshi021 5/10
Spoiler
This level can be fun, but there is something that really bothers me. If this level had multiple checkpoints, it would have made been much better. Each small part does have some value, but it is not fun having to replay each part over and over. Also, most of the parts in the first section are a bit of trial and error which further supports my point on adding checkpoints.

5th Place Funky Forest by R.O.A. (5.58)
Spoiler
Mario Kirby - 6/10
Spoiler
Aesthetics: 3/3
This level would be fine if it were *just* a puzzle level or *just* a moderately challenging level, but when you put both into one it gets hard to maintain the quality. Some of the puzzles are near impossible (like the Green Switch Block or the Yellow Fan Switch) and the level was confusing a lot of the time. The (very few) straightforward segments of the level were the best part, which when you made a big level like this it’s almost a shame. Also, this level would benefit greatly from more power-ups. But hey! There were some good things about this level, like the aesthetics and NPCs, most notably the boss.
TepigFan101 6/10
Spoiler
I really, REALLY like the aesthetics of this level. The colors of the forest, and NPCs are perfect, with no gfx meshing and such. Having said that, this level lacks any linear design and is going for a more, free roam type of level, which isn't good because if you die, you have to do the same switches in the forest again, and no one wants to back track for 5 minutes. The platforming and level design kinda turned me off. There's too much going on like the switch blocks, the air jets, and the platforming. Aesthetics alone dosent make a level interesting. If the gimmicks in the level were handled better, it would've ranked higher
Yoshi021 4.75/10
Spoiler
Design: 0.5/4
This level looked nice, but there are some big problems I had with this level. This level creates a really confusing and difficult “puzzle”. The puzzle is that you have to hit some blocks in a specific order. The way to find the order is by trial and error. At first glance, you might think of an order, but as you progress, making a mistake means doing a lot of backtracking, which is not fun at all. The level looks like it’s designed to trick you into hitting the blocks in the wrong order so you have to retry the level over and over until you finally get it. The difficulty to get some blocks is hard too. I find that there are not that many power-ups, and the challenge where you have to pick up a shell and carry it back was too much. The level expected you to do a lot in a single run. On a better note, the boss was nice.

4th Place Los Acantilados Rojos by Greendan (6.08)
Spoiler
Mario Kirby - 6/10
Spoiler
Aesthetics: 2.75/3
Well, this level was big and very aesthetic. The one major complaint I have: the laaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. Really though, this level was not meant to be replayed. It wasn’t especially difficult compared to some of the entries, but due to SMBX lagging, I ended up using cheats to speed up the process. Aside from that, I’m going to say that this isn’t really too creative. I mean, yeah there’s NSMBW graphics but that’s pretty much it. Anyways, I know parallax is cool but always weigh the risks with the rewards. It doesn’t always pay out. Ignoring the lag though, this level was pretty well designed. It just had that major flaw.
TepigFan101 - 6.5/10
Spoiler
Design: 2.5/4
The Desert theme of the level is done well on this level. Not every day you play a level with NSMB styled graphics. A problem I had with this level is that the level could lag, or not lag, depending on your hardware, so be careful. One other problem is that some background objects are blurred, like the cactuses. But besides that, the platforming in the level is forgiving, the music is snazzy, and platforming is balanced.
Yoshi021 - 5.75/10
Spoiler
Design: 1.75/4
A beautiful looking level, with one big problem. The level is slow and really ruins the spirit of playing the level. Ignoring this technical problem, the level felt boring. There were switch blocks, which felt really unnecessary. I found that the monty mole AI is too fast and are placed in pretty unfair spots. I also felt there were too little power-ups.

2nd Place Dangerous Mountains by DarWix513 (6.75)
Spoiler
Mario Kirby - 6.5/10
Spoiler
Aesthetics: 2.25/3
Creativity: 1.75/3
Well, this level didn’t look like much but I found it to be far more enjoyable than some of the levels submitted since it’s not insanely difficult. Quick memo to anyone who reads these reviews: Hard and Long =/= Good level. That aside, this level was a nice break and I wish there were more levels like this. Good job.
TepigFan101 - 6.5/10
Spoiler
The layout of this level is alright. There's no mesh of gfx here, and the level design isn't great, but it's not bad. It's in the middle for me. I liked the key puzzle at the end, you have to be really precise on your jumps to get the key, otherwise, you'll lose a life from hitting a nibbler. A thing I didn't like was the lack of power-ups. If there was at least one mushroom, the level would be a little easier. But other than that, the level design was good, as well as using the parachutes on enemies
Yoshi021 - 7.25/10
Spoiler
Aesthetics: 2.75/3
Creativity: 2.5/3
A simple yet fun level that had wings and parachutes. There were some neat ideas introduced that I wish had been expanded to some cooler levels. Definitely, some cool things are here.

2nd Place Stormatuary Castle by RSupertheGreat (6.75)
Spoiler
Mario Kirby - 6.5/10
Spoiler
Design - 3/4
Aesthetics - 2/3
Creativity - 1.5/3
Alright, so this level was very traditional, but that’s not always a bad thing. I liked the dark effect and such, but I’m not sure that really added to the level. And also, we’ve all fought Dark Yoshi before. We all know how he usually plays out. Plus, he can be camped. That aside, the Yellow and Red! Blocks were somewhat glitchy in that it’s possible not to activate them even when you jump (if you do a short hop), although I never found this to be impeding on my progress so I’ll let it slide. On a side note, make sure the player KNOWS they can Wall Jump. Despite all this, I found the level to be very enjoyable and I look forward to seeing how well it will place.
TepigFan101 - 6.5/10
Spoiler
Design: 3/4
This level uses the Darkness Script right, making sure enemies and coins were lit up. The ice blocks should've been lit up too, but it's okay. A problem I had with the level is that it has occasional lag spikes which could hinder Precise Jumps in the level, especially the flip block section. But other than that, I like the design of the level, and the boss at the end was tough. Next time, it needs to be split up into more sections so it doesn't lag as much.
Yoshi021 - 7.25/10
Spoiler
Design - 3.25/4
Aesthetics - 2.5/3
Creativity - 1.5/3
While this level has a more generic SMBX Castle “feel”, it is still a fun level to play. The only problem I had is that the boss has a safe spot where you can camp.

1st Place Devastation Doomships by SoldierKoopa0 (7.67)
Spoiler
Mario Kirby - 7/10
Spoiler
This level was interesting. It was difficult, but not overly rage-inducing. Still, I feel like some improvements could be made, like not having so many projectiles to dodge or perhaps making greater use of the Green and Pink walls. Regardless of this, this was a nice level and I hope you do more like this in the future.
TepigFan 101 - 7.5/10
Spoiler
Design: 2.5
Aesthetics: 2
Creativity: 3
I find this level to be enjoyable. Most of the gfx fits the level, I like the gravity gimmick at the second section of the level, and the JR mini-boss at the end. The major gripe I had with the first section of the level is that there are too many projectiles on screen, which could make some players lag and lose lives. The second section had an interesting gimmick with the green walls and purple walls that made up for it. Overall, I find this level to me moderately challenging, but a lot of fun.
Yoshi021 - 8.5/10
Spoiler
Design: 3.5/4
Aesthetics: 2.25/3
Creativity: 2.75/3
A fun and exciting level. The first one puts you on your toes by pressuring you to avoid a lot of projectiles. It is a bit challenging, but not too hard. The second portion tries to add a gravity mechanic, but I feel the level ended before the mechanic was expanded. Nonetheless, it is a really fun level.
Links
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!" :pardon:

Return to “Episodes”