[Poll] About adding new in-game objects into assets for TheXTech

Description: Sub-forum dedicated to Vanilla SMBX - an original SMBX from 1.0 up to 1.3 made by Redigit in 2009 and maintained up to 2011 year. Also LunaLua-SMBX (1.3.0.1 and 1.3.0.2), a Vanilla SMBX equipped with LunaLua. Also content made for TheXTech exclusively post to here.
Moderators: Moderators, Semi-moderatos

Which standard do I need to follow when I start adding new in-game items at TheXtech in the future?

One of the existing standards (X2 or 38A)
Olhi, Yidaozhan Ya, SStar, gingrum, GianaSistersfan64, PunLord666, ......, Superbloxen, TDK, Seyimsi_LBS, YzuruPlays
33%
Make own standard which will be exclusive for TheXTech
Dark Lamp, h2643, Retro_games428, VillFlying99, vitzie629, Yingchun Soul, +KZ, SkullGamer205, Lx Xzit, Chanceux2, SMBX Equipo Estelar, Slash_18, EmeraldMaster777, FH357, Xilore 25, CreativeCoder35, Ibiscus
52%
I don't care, select as you want
KlickyGam3rs
3%
I don't know
No votes
I have a different opinion on this (explain in comments)
Wohlstand, Guih48, Core, Fangamestalgia
12%

Total voters: 33
FanofSMBX
Contributor
Contributor
FanofSMBX
Contributor
Contributor

Post #21by FanofSMBX » 6 Feb 2022, 22:07

By the way, how will objects be chosen to be added into TheXTech?

Guih48
Citizen
Citizen
Guih48
Citizen
Citizen

Own, but compatible standard

Post #22by Guih48 » 8 Feb 2022, 10:00

I think, TheXtech should continue the SMBX64 standard, but with backward and parallel compatibility so:

* The smbx64 should be upgtaded to a standalone TheXtech standard (smbxt65?), because SMBX2 isn't really have own standard (it only uses extended verison of smbx64), and the smbx38a's standard we don't really know.

* But the npc and other names that are currently exist in other smbx branches, reserved for functions, which are possibly implemented from other smbx branches (easyer conversion).

* And TheXtech's own stuff inserted to higher npc, bgo and other IDs...

Advantages:

Will everyone can be happy, because there's functions from other smbxes, and brand new stuff too, while this stay well-structured.

Disadvantages:

There will be some percussive things (rotating platform or smw browser statue??? (X2 vs38A)), and blank gaps, what didn't gets used, and needs much bigger (can be 2x or more!) size, what is very bad.
Guih48 :tux:

Wohlstand M
Topic author, Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
English Pronouns: he/him
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #23by Wohlstand » 8 Feb 2022, 11:18

FanofSMBX wrote:By the way, how will objects be chosen to be added into TheXTech?
We'll probably build a list of things and choose which objects were most important and add them in first priority.

Guih48 wrote:* The smbx64 should be upgtaded to a standalone TheXtech standard (smbxt65?), because SMBX2 isn't really have own standard (it only uses extended verison of smbx64), and the smbx38a's standard we don't really know.
Yeah, and the case is very similar to the second item of the poll. But still, once backend will get enough functionality and cleaners state (first of all, I want to split down the scary spaghetti code into a set of function pointers to keep AIs being more controllable and more flexible for future extending and even allow to re-use same AIs for new IDs, etc., etc.)

Yingchun Soul M
Viscount
Viscount
Yingchun Soul M
Viscount
Viscount
English Pronouns: he / him
Website

Post #24by Yingchun Soul » 11 Feb 2022, 13:19

Maybe we should make own libraries by each asset instead of hardcoded......
迎春心情 (迎春心语 Alt.) in Chinese
Alt. nickname: "Elf of Happy and Love / 快乐爱的小精灵"

Check out my 2D Platform / TheXTech Assets:
Fairy Tale World
Nostalgic Paradise
Third Returns (Hiatus)

迎春花的精灵啊,请赋予我无尽的爱和指引,让每一座城在光明中重生,将大自然的力量和爱的力量集于一身吧!魔法凝结!

FanofSMBX
Contributor
Contributor
FanofSMBX
Contributor
Contributor

Post #25by FanofSMBX » 12 Feb 2022, 13:03

Yingchun Soul wrote:Maybe we should make own libraries by each asset instead of hardcoded......
My dreamplan is that like SMBX2, each asset has own editable code that can be cloned to make an own version of that asset. Especially NPCs and players.

Yingchun Soul M
Viscount
Viscount
Yingchun Soul M
Viscount
Viscount
Website

Post #26by Yingchun Soul » 2 Jul 2022, 11:42

The other one is "Customizable Max Count", instead of hardcoded, which isn't enough slot for use in a multiple themed asset.

Fairy Tale World
Nostalgic Paradise
Third Returns (Hiatus)

vitzie629
Good citizen
Good citizen
vitzie629
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #27by vitzie629 » 2 Jul 2022, 14:38

Yingchun Soul wrote:The other one is "Customizable Max Count", instead of hardcoded, which isn't enough slot for use in a multiple themed asset.
What does customizable max slot do and what graphics can it support?

Yingchun Soul M
Viscount
Viscount
Yingchun Soul M
Viscount
Viscount
Website

Post #28by Yingchun Soul » 2 Jul 2022, 15:08

vitzie629 wrote:
Yingchun Soul wrote:The other one is "Customizable Max Count", instead of hardcoded, which isn't enough slot for use in a multiple themed asset.
It's "max ID of block/BGO/etc".

Fairy Tale World
Nostalgic Paradise
Third Returns (Hiatus)

vitzie629
Good citizen
Good citizen
vitzie629
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #29by vitzie629 » 2 Jul 2022, 15:20

Yingchun Soul wrote:
vitzie629 wrote:
It's "max ID of block/BGO/etc".
Ok, thanks. It would be cool to provide a section for own blocks, BGOs, NPCs, effects, level backgrounds, as well as world map content for TheXTech & Moondust Editor just like the own NPCs section appeared in the fake SMBX 1.4!

Yingchun Soul M
Viscount
Viscount
Yingchun Soul M
Viscount
Viscount
Website

Post #30by Yingchun Soul » 29 Nov 2022, 6:04

Feels like the objects should be loaded in the order:

Coded via LUA script system (Asset-varied) → C++ (Hardcoded, if no LUA files in the base)

Fairy Tale World
Nostalgic Paradise
Third Returns (Hiatus)

Fangamestalgia
Good citizen
Good citizen
Fangamestalgia
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #31by Fangamestalgia » 3 Oct 2023, 10:04

The X-Tech level editor by default should be compatible with SMBX 1.3.0.1 but gives the user the possibility to change compatibility to SMBX 2.0 or SMBX 1.4 if desired.

Yingchun Soul M
Viscount
Viscount
Yingchun Soul M
Viscount
Viscount
Website

Post #32by Yingchun Soul » 31 Jan 2024, 8:55

The goal is now preserving old contents over than new, so does this make nonsense?

Fairy Tale World
Nostalgic Paradise
Third Returns (Hiatus)

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
English Pronouns: he/him
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #33by Wohlstand » 31 Jan 2024, 8:57

Yingchun Soul wrote:The goal is now preserving old contents over than new, so does this make nonsense?
This poll is a collection of people's opinion what they think better to. Actually, future flexibility extension (like allowing to assign any built-in algorithm to id, etc.) would allow to have different assets with incompatible itemsets, which can be used later to implement the necessary stuff easier.

Ibiscus
Passerby
Passerby
Ibiscus
Passerby
Passerby

Post #34by Ibiscus » 19 Feb 2024, 21:37

Yingchun Soul wrote:Should be Custom add-on object system instead of SMBX2 and Chinese SMBX-38A.

Wohlstand wrote:Actually, future flexibility extension (like allowing to assign any built-in algorithm to id, etc.) would allow to have different assets with incompatible itemsets, which can be used later to implement the necessary stuff easier.

I really like the idea of this, since my current project uses a lot of reserved IDs for custom world levels/scenery and while they work flawlessly with the use of .ini files, neither SMBX2b5 nor XTech SMBX engines render animation frames for world map scenes and levels which have them specified in their episode-specific configuration files. Only the Moondust editor recognises multiple-frame assets and showcases them perfectly.

Spoiler

Particularly for SMBX2b5 I find it quite peculiar that world map switch palaces have been added (each having a two-frame animation), yet when I try to replace one of them and tweaking its frame counter, it still only works in Moondust and not inside the SMBX2 engine. This is the same for decreasing frames and untouched frames.

Spoiler

So I am led to the conclusion something is either hardcoded or I am unable to figure out something so simple.

Hopefully XTech will make it possible to add custom animated items for large-scale episodes. And perhaps even more IDs beyond 100 (and 400 for tiles).

Granted, only animation does not work at the moment and you can use every single slot if you wish, which is pretty amazing. And the added fact of full .wldx support for XTech makes 2024 the best for such Mario-oriented projects so far.

Thanks a lot for all the work accomplished! :yes:

Return to “Vanilla SMBX and TheXTech”