SMBX 1.3 Source Code since Feburary 2, 2020, is now public

Description: Sub-forum dedicated to Vanilla SMBX - an original SMBX from 1.0 up to 1.3 made by Redigit in 2009 and maintained up to 2011 year. Also LunaLua-SMBX (1.3.0.1 and 1.3.0.2), a Vanilla SMBX equipped with LunaLua.
Moderators: Semi-moderatos, Moderators

Wohlstand M
Topic author, Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #1by Wohlstand » 4 Feb 2020, 13:23

This post is a copy of original post that was published at SMBXorg.

The SMBX source code is finally open! Do with it as you please. Here's a quick Q&A for anticipated questions...

Spoiler
Q: What is this?
A: The source code for Super Mario Bros. X 1.3 legacy version.

Q: Is this legit?
A: Yes.

Q: Is this decompiled code?
A: No. This is the source code that was written.

Q: Can I build this?
A: Short answer is not really. Long answer is that SMBX was written in VB6 and Microsoft has long since ended support for the language. You will need to set up your own development environment to build the project.

Q: Is this going to be built upon by the SMBX2 team?
A: No. Doing so would disrupt development.

Q: What is the utility of releasing the source code?
A: The code can be used as a reference for posterity. SMBX until this point has had a closed source engine, and editor. The value of releasing the code as-is exists from SMBX's history, the benefits of software freedom, analysis, and to help SMBX move forward.

Q: How will this fit into the community?
A: This board will remain the same in terms of support for SMBX2. Discussion about the source code may be posted in this thread, or in other threads. That will be the extent of the code's role.

Q: What will be the overall impact?
A: Everything will be the same, except that SMBX's code is now free. The forums, and SMBX2's progression will follow the same path as if the code was still unavailable.

GitHub Link
https://github.com/smbx/smbx-legacy-source

FAQ
http://codehaus.wohlsoft.ru/blog/faq/

My P.S. Since this good news, I took the code into my fork to do various experiments with it, make some fixes and updates, and mainly, research it's internals and use as reference to make PGE Engine be more accurate and develop it faster!

My proveground fork link
https://github.com/WohlSoft/smbx-legacy-source

BTW, For anyone who needs the VB6 legally, it's here, on ArchiveOrg, under "CreativeCommon Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0" license:

Also you would like to have MSDN library of 2001 to get an interactive help for in-code elements and API, there are 3 disks:

+KZ
Good citizen
Good citizen
+KZ
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #2by +KZ » 7 Feb 2020, 1:06

-I wash my eyes with wax and chlorine-

What¿¿¿

I never thought this would happen, did the original author of the game authorize it?
:ɔ ଇ ଈ چ :Ɖ :ɛ
GOOGLE TRANSLATE
RND

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #3by Wohlstand » 7 Feb 2020, 13:54

+KZ wrote:did the original author of the game authorize it?
In 2016'th year was a hearing that Redigit will going to share source code: we had a talk with Joey about that. However, Redigin't didn't gave the source in that time, there was some problem he should solve, however, no news from him later. Then, there was a waiting for 4 years, and now Aero posts the source code of SMBX. I don't know any details of the preparing works was done until to publish the source, you may ask Aero for that.

+KZ
Good citizen
Good citizen
+KZ
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #4by +KZ » 7 Feb 2020, 23:54

when I try to compile the program it shows me this error

Maybe that's the problem he wanted to solve :p

:ɔ ଇ ଈ چ :Ɖ :ɛ
GOOGLE TRANSLATE
RND

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #5by Wohlstand » 8 Feb 2020, 0:25

KZ+, I already solved this in my research fork. These are incomplete by Redigit features, feel free to comment two these lines (regarding to "Saved events" feature). Also later you'll meet two other lines are won't build, again, regarding to the "saved-events".
Note, you also should change the release number from 65 into 64. Otherwise saved by this build will be incompatible with PGE Editor and released SMBX 1.3. There was no new things added into file formats, however, the version number was already increased up.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #6by Wohlstand » 11 Feb 2020, 22:08

Just now I was added a links to VB6 and MSDN downloads are hosted at ArchiveOrg for free non-commercial use. These links would be useful for anyone who going to experiment with SMBX's source codes in action and never had VB6 toolchain before now.

Return to “Vanilla SMBX”