Ideas & Suggestions for future versions of PGE

Description: It's archive, posting new is here http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

What do you think of these suggestions?

They are perfect addition for this Engine.
Wohlstand, CaptainSwag101, John Leagsdurg, IngeniousPlatformer, Squishy Rex, Veudekato, the_end_of_WORLD, DeuxEx, CreatorForce, sky2, DatDude, Yingchun Soul, hacheipe399, Fennor, Sambo, itskadenhere, Yoshimoto, Tux-Prowess, Pilzinsel64, Yoshi021, Jayce 777, Bonnies, Caketaco, KesterTank, Newspaper Zombie, Stickman01, Jackson455, Glitchy, Greendan, the GaMERDoG, P3rf3ctXZer0, Axl Gallais, 5438ASPGE71, 3color BombDX, 6824, higgorgao1, anonymousmariofan17
73%
They are not bad, could think of some others.
Natsu, h2643, Void, Alucard, Josh16, ellingtonisland, lighthouse64, Saronin, Edward Elric, SamuelNM2, Sammzy, kitkat, GianaSistersfan64
27%
I disagree with some of them (specify).
tb1024, Infobox
4%
I don't like them at all (specify).
No votes

Total voters: 52
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
English Pronouns: he/him
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #361by Wohlstand » 19 Apr 2016, 22:15

4matsy wrote:Something for the SMBX Extended pack:
I edited together some new mushroom blocks. :3
Then I recolored them a lot. :D

I just implemented this:

ColorMushrooms.zip
Level with custom NPC and custom NPC-AI lua-script, will work with PGE Engine >=0.2.5.1-alpha
(13.05 KiB) Downloaded 427 times

To preview this, just run a test of this level in the PGE Engine as-is

I used alone NPC (based on 293 dummy NPC) which uses custom NPC-AI script which takes one of 91 frames randomly on initialization state. That a test, but in future I think to allow a choice of the color and the type via special values (combobox / spin-box for that, etc).

Scr_2016_4_19_22_11_48_949.png
Screen 1

Scr_2016_4_19_22_11_56_986.png
Screen 2

lighthouse64 M
Duke
Duke
lighthouse64 M
Duke
Duke

Post #362by lighthouse64 » 21 Apr 2016, 13:03

Heh. I bet you could make a mini pixel art out of those mushrooms.
Player of hedgewars!!! :)
And hi... it's me from smbx
Currently bug testing for Mac :apple: And Windows :windows:

4matsy M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
4matsy M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
Post #363by 4matsy » 22 Apr 2016, 1:15

You probably could, if you could place them in the level in the correct order, as that is what determines the random sequence of colors that is generated (since math.random, the function called to generate the random number to pick which frame on the strip of mushroom block images is used, is apparently pseudo-random).

Or if there were a way to choose what color of mushroom to place at a certain spot, like Wohlstand was talking about in his post.

Speaking of which, that demo level was fun to mess around with. Thanks for making it, Wohlstand. :)

I added a door leading to a 2nd section containing some ? blocks that had the random mushroom blocks inside. It was interesting seeing the ? blocks always giving me the same order of mushroom blocks, in the same order I hit them...until I added another one in section 1, which generated a completely different order for section 2. :biggrin:

I also tried shooting the blocks out of a cannon by using a random mushroom block as a projectile generator. They slid all the way across the ground and looped around the level once before coming to a stop. The 2nd and 3rd rows that formed on top got insanely fast and I jumped to higher ground to keep from being crushed. Eventually the cannon started shooting the blocks into...somewhere between one side of the level and the other, where they were getting lost but not destroyed somehow, and the framerate began to drop, as expected. :lol:

Entering the other section and waiting a few seconds doesn't clear the mushroom block NPCs for some reason...I'm curious. What is the reason why that happens? Or doesn't happen, in this case, I guess would be more correct. ;-)
:D

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #364by Wohlstand » 22 Apr 2016, 16:34

A small fix in the engine side (to allow some core lua bindings include os.clock()), I added rng.lua library by Hoeloe which provides better random number generation,
Fixed level, but it requires latets build from laboratory (since today)
ColorMushrooms.7z
Fixed level
(13.71 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #365by Yoshi021 » 2 May 2016, 5:27

I have a small suggestion and I don't know if someone asked for it before,but it would be really convenient if the coins option was placed right in the item properties than having to open the Block Content menu every time you want coins in blocks.
Links
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!" :pardon:

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #366by Sambo » 9 Jun 2016, 2:55

I think something useful for the editor would be a "filler block replacement" function. A "filler block" is the block that goes in the middle of platforms. For example, this is the filler block for the SMB3 Wood tileset:
block-16.gif
block-16.gif (953 Bytes) Viewed 8876 times

What the function would do is replace some of the "filler block" with other blocks that you chose. The dialog would look something like this:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.69 KiB) Viewed 8876 times

I know it doesn't look that good, but I built it in Multimedia Fusion in about 5 minutes.
The drop-down box on the top would be where you selected the filler block (with an image preview, of course). The left column would be where you selected the blocks to replace it with, and on the right, you would input the chance (probably a percentage) that the filler block would be replaced with this block. Then, you would hit "apply," and the blocks would be replaced. If the block that replaced the filler block was larger than the filler block, all the blocks it overlapped would just be overwritten.

This would be very useful because decorating the interiors of platforms can be tedious, but not decorating them can make it look rather bland. It would shorten the time spent to make levels look aesthetically pleasing and allow for more time to focus on the actual level design.

There could be a similar function for BGOs (similar to the one in Super Mario Maker, but optional). It would place BGOs for you when used, then you could adjust any that didn't look the way you liked.
Current Project:

Alucard
Our friend
Our friend
Alucard
Our friend
Our friend

Post #367by Alucard » 9 Jun 2016, 8:54

Sambo wrote:This would be very useful because decorating the interiors of platforms can be tedious, but not decorating them can make it look rather bland. It would shorten the time spent to make levels look aesthetically pleasing and allow for more time to focus on the actual level design.

There could be a similar function for BGOs (similar to the one in Super Mario Maker, but optional). It would place BGOs for you when used, then you could adjust any that didn't look the way you liked.
This should be a part of Smart Blocks Feature which auto-connects blocks according to customizable table and relativity to empty spaces.

SamuelNM2 M
Passerby
Passerby
SamuelNM2 M
Passerby
Passerby
Website

Post #368by SamuelNM2 » 11 Jun 2016, 16:23

They must also update the graphics of the characters to make them look better especially Toad and Peach. :)

One could add to Rosalina as a playable character ... :whistle:Image

New powers as boomerang for all charactersImage as CatImage

Also new special moves like Wall JumpImage
and Ground PoundImage

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #369by Yoshi021 » 5 Jul 2016, 22:56

What about when placing an item, you can hold ctrl or alt to trigger "disable auto-align" and "overlap" respectively. Also, it would be nice if you could implement the Overlap placement.
Links
ImageImageImage

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #370by Wohlstand » 5 Jul 2016, 23:25

Yoshi021 wrote:What about when placing an item, you can hold ctrl or alt to trigger "disable auto-align" and "overlap" respectively. Also, it would be nice if you could implement the Overlap placement.
I think, that is not hard to make (just check state of pressed Ctrl or Shift key while mouse moving and mouse releasing to temporary enable disabling of auto-aligning and enabling overlapping [disable collisions], currently allowing of overlapps done with disabling collisions, and you able to overlap elements while it already placed, while moving from one position to other. Buth I'll check out for Ctrl/Shift usage to disable aligning and enabling overlap in placing process )

Pilzinsel64
Count
Count
Pilzinsel64
Count
Count

Post #371by Pilzinsel64 » 6 Jul 2016, 10:57

Pilzinsel64 wrote:But i need to resize this blocks. Because this texture is from a tileset of an nsmbw hack (because this textures are better locking and are bigger) and sometimes i need only a part of the texture instand of the whole texture.

As example ...

PGE:

SMBX-38A:

All what i need is this, if it's possible to inclued it in the PGE-Editor. I play my levels on SMBX-38A and not in the PGE-Engine.:

And i don't mean this to resize sizeable blocks:

Can you remeber this?
You sad you will add a "Custom Size" option, but i can't find their.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #372by Wohlstand » 6 Jul 2016, 11:45

Pilzinsel64 wrote:You sad you will add a "Custom Size" option, but i can't find their.
That applying to sizable blocks only (you will see text fields in the properties boxes), but what you needed for non-sizable blocks is a "cropping mode" to have block which showing part of source texture

Pilzinsel64
Count
Count
Pilzinsel64
Count
Count

Post #373by Pilzinsel64 » 6 Jul 2016, 15:18

Wohlstand wrote:
Pilzinsel64 wrote:You sad you will add a "Custom Size" option, but i can't find their.
That applying to sizable blocks only (you will see text fields in the properties boxes), but what you needed for non-sizable blocks is a "cropping mode" to have block which showing part of source texture

SMBX-38A shows me the part of my custom textures, wich i can see of the original texture too. After i changed the block size, i can see the selected part of the texture.

Example:
Original texture is 32x32.
But i'm using a custom texture, which is 32x128.
SMBX shows me 32x32 pixle of the custom texture, because the original texture is 32x32:

So, i change the block size to this:
Now i can see all of my texture.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #374by Wohlstand » 7 Jul 2016, 20:50

I understood you, but I wasn't implemented ability to use part of block texture instead of whole yet, because was been busy with another core things. Anyway I going to implement this very soon

Pilzinsel64
Count
Count
Pilzinsel64
Count
Count

Post #375by Pilzinsel64 » 8 Jul 2016, 10:48

Wohlstand wrote:I understood you, but I wasn't implemented ability to use part of block texture instead of whole yet, because was been busy with another core things. Anyway I going to implement this very soon

You need only one texture instand of two, three, ore more. You can have the texture as big as you need. As example, if i have a 32x128 grass texture and i need only 32x64, then i can have it using the same texture. SMBX saves the size in the levelfile too.

... you don't understand the advantages. 5438A38A hasn't in vain insert this function.

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #376by Yoshi021 » 8 Jul 2016, 16:00

Pilzinsel64 wrote:... you don't understand the advantages. 5438A38A hasn't in vain insert this function.
He said he will implement it soon.
Links
ImageImageImage

Pilzinsel64
Count
Count
Pilzinsel64
Count
Count

Post #377by Pilzinsel64 » 8 Jul 2016, 17:26

Yoshi021 wrote:
Pilzinsel64 wrote:... you don't understand the advantages. 5438A38A hasn't in vain insert this function.
He said he will implement it soon.
He sad very soon...

EDIT: Oh sorry! Please excuse me! My english is not the best, i understood "very soon" as "in a long time" and forgot that "very soon" meens the opposit. I'm realy sorry.
So, please excuse me Wohlstand, I'm realy sorry! And Thanks that you will implement it!

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #378by Wohlstand » 8 Jul 2016, 17:55

Pilzinsel64, "soon" means no absolute time delay. It can be OR long OR small. Usually "soon" is something between "nearest time" and "long time"

Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend
Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend

Thing I think should be imlemented

Post #379by Shadowblitz16 » 15 Aug 2016, 6:55

- Block, Npc, Background and Player Editor within PGE Editor
- more zelda 2 and metroid content and in their separate categories
- combine lava water and quicksand into single liquid region and make it have properties
this will allow the player to create water, water currents, lava, acid, and different strengths of quick sand
- 4 player support
- make everything in the editor and game a lua script!
this will allow people to add additional config properties to their level editor. something like what you have going in the additional setting tab in scripts

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #380by Yoshi021 » 15 Aug 2016, 7:24

Shadowblitz16 wrote:- Block, Npc, Background and Player Editor within PGE Editor
- more zelda 2 and metroid content and in their separate categories
- combine lava water and quicksand into single liquid region and make it have properties
this will allow the player to create water, water currents, lava, acid, and different strengths of quick sand
- 4 player support
- make everything in the editor and game a lua script!
this will allow people to add additional config properties to their level editor. something like what you have going in the additional setting tab in scripts
1) If you mean to make custom graphics that will be implemented in the future
2) That could be added into the SMB Xpanded configure pack
3) I don't think Lava needs to be a liquid since it can't really be customizable, its just a inta-death block
5) The AI for NPCs and other data are in Lua.
Links
ImageImageImage

Return to “Troubleshooting”