Description: It's archive, posting new is here viewforum.php?f=11

K-leb
Topic author, Nice citizen
Nice citizen
K-leb
Nice citizen

Post #1by K-leb » 19 Oct 2015, 0:14

I hope this is the correct forum section to post this...

So I was using the PGE Editor, making a new world. I made an outline of part of the world, hence making an enclosed space of nothingness. So, naturally, I wanted to fill that space with a grass tile. I used the fill tool inside that space, and...well, the editor became unresponsive indefinitely. I thought it would only need to fill in 50 tiles or something, but perhaps for whatever reason it decided to fill the entire usable space of the world. And of course that isn't good because that may as well be an infinite amount of tiles...

Ending the program doesn't help because every time I open up the editor again, it saves the tabs I had open beforehand. Which means the world that is causing unresponsiveness keeps on loading up, retaining the unresponsiveness. I was hoping there'd be a way to wipe the editor's memory of the tabs, but I can't find a way.

So...does anyone know what I should do?
Thanks...
One day I'll release a SMBX episode...

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #2by Wohlstand » 19 Oct 2015, 4:49

PGE Editor should abort infinite filling after 4 sec. timeout if you accidentally filled opened space, to prevent freezing or "memory overflow" crash.
Anyway, I will check up for something: I just found than it doing crash after third filling operation.

EDIT: that problem was not at fill tool, that problem at entire editor: the bug causes appearance of junk elements in the RTree and then collider tries to find items to collide - crash.

Added after 16 hours 32 minutes:
Bug has been fixed:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/PGE-Projec ... 307c6d69e8e3a3365d51113a873bb5

Wait while I will upload hotfix, then you will can take a fixed pge_editor(.exe) with other components.
Note: updated PGE Editor supports background2.txt's to customize properties of backgrounds. Syntax is same as in the INI file and you will need same specification

EDIT: Updated PGE with Hotfix already uploaded. Take update from download link ;-)

K-leb
Nice citizen
K-leb
Nice citizen

Post #3by K-leb » 20 Oct 2015, 10:13

Wohlstand wrote:Note: updated PGE Editor supports background2.txt's to customize properties of backgrounds. Syntax is same as in the INI file and you will need same specification

What kind of properties can be edited?
Last edited by K-leb on 21 Oct 2015, 7:13, edited 2 times in total.

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #4by Squishy Rex » 20 Oct 2015, 14:15

K-leb wrote:What kind of properties can be edited?

Correct me if I'm wrong Wohlstand, but if I remember correctly it had to do with parallax scrolling and a few other things.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #5by Wohlstand » 20 Oct 2015, 17:15

Squishy Rex wrote:
K-leb wrote:What kind of properties can be edited?

Correct me if I'm wrong Wohlstand, but if I remember correctly it had to do with parallax scrolling and a few other things.

Here is a small example and you can try to open that level in the updated PGE Editor:
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_files_for_posts/Misc/BackgroundTXT.zip
Anyway, if you would to do some experiments with custom background configs, I have a specification of this thing:
http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Game_Configuration_Pack_References#lvl_bkgrd.ini
* You will need "[ background2-*]" section where you need replace "*" with actual BackgroundID which you reconfiguring.
Note: I made new system merged with default configuration parser, so, when I will implement new parameters, new features will be automatically added into custom configs too. But for NPC.TXT I would need to add new things manually, because syntax is different

K-leb
Nice citizen
K-leb
Nice citizen

Post #6by K-leb » 21 Oct 2015, 7:14

I downloaded the newest version and installed. Unfortunately, it has retained the tabs I had open in the previous version, and it's still unresponsive.

At this point I could uninstall and reinstall the program, but I'm just waiting to see if there are better work-arounds.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #7by Wohlstand » 21 Oct 2015, 12:06

K-leb wrote:I downloaded the newest version and installed. Unfortunately, it has retained the tabs I had open in the previous version, and it's still unresponsive.

At this point I could uninstall and reinstall the program, but I'm just waiting to see if there are better work-arounds.
Fresh editor is 0.3.1.7, check in the about dialog. PGE Editor has an overflow protection and should abort flood-fill after 3 sec. If your app frozen on flood-fill, that means a silent crash. Also, your Hardware specs?

K-leb
Nice citizen
K-leb
Nice citizen

Post #8by K-leb » 31 Oct 2015, 3:17

Sorry for the late reply.

I've got:
Intel(R) Core(TM)
i7-4700MQ CPU @
2.40GHz 2.40GHz

8.00GB (7.78 GB Usable)

64-bit Operating
System, x64-based
processor

Hopefully that means something.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #9by Wohlstand » 31 Oct 2015, 4:00

K-leb wrote:Ending the program doesn't help because every time I open up the editor again, it saves the tabs I had open beforehand. Which means the world that is causing unresponsiveness keeps on loading up, retaining the unresponsiveness. I was hoping there'd be a way to wipe the editor's memory of the tabs, but I can't find a way.
Autosaving (with auto-restoring) works always when crash happened, even you didn't saw a crash message box. Crashed app with freezing (if message box can't be spawn) doensn't overloads CPU, therefore you will see that in a task manager. If it had real mistake in algorithm, than it will overload CPU to 100% (or one of CPU cores only or CPU load will be split to all cores).

Anyway, please take update again (recent time ago I'v been updated editor with another fix and improvements) + check carefully menu "?" -> "About" and editor version must be 0.3.1.7 which a latest version which I published. I was fixed true crash reason and you must not take that freezing again or you accidentally runs old version with bugs. Anyway, I will try to run full rebuild, because some broken object files are would break normal work of built application, therefore full rebuild is required to resolve this.

K-leb
Nice citizen
K-leb
Nice citizen

Post #10by K-leb » 31 Oct 2015, 9:23

Man, even uninstalling PGE and re-downloading the latest version saves that tab. I still can't do anything, and the program is still unresponsive.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #11by Wohlstand » 31 Oct 2015, 16:04

K-leb wrote:Man, even uninstalling PGE and re-downloading the latest version saves that tab. I still can't do anything, and the program is still unresponsive.
Are you have this thing with specific world map or when you doing that in empty space?
If that thing caused on specific world map - please send me it to I can test out it and confirm bug.
When I trying to fill empty space of just-made world map - everything works fine. Editor will abort filling after 3 sec and it going to be responsive again

Return to “Troubleshooting”