Bright
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
Bright
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #1by Bright » 18 Apr 2015, 3:50

:SOS:

I am user of Super Mario Bros. X (SMBX), I entered the site www.supermariobrosx.org (the site of SMBX), and SMBX site spoke of PGE, told me that it is here, I came here to download the PGE:

face a strange thing: here to download the PGE, there are many links to downloads:

I clicked on the first link called 'Download Standalone Installer of PGE 0.2.2-rc', and then another strange thing: the file I was downloading was almost 500MB in size! and on top was not a ZIP file (ZIP is a compressed file, multiple files are to form a file), was an EXE file (EXE is an executable file, this file type is the program itself, you can do any thing)

so I decided to create this article here, to have clarification, please do not get me wrong, but I want to understand why these things:

1) why so many links to downloads ? which the usefulness of each link of these ?

1a) Download Standalone Installer of PGE 0.2.2-rc . this goes to what? why is SO BIG?

1b) Download Editor 0.2.2-rc for Windows x86 . this goes to what?

1.c) Download Additional tools 0.2.2-rc for Windows x86 . this goes to what?

1.d) Download sources (Zip). this goes to what?

1.e) Download sources (tar.gz) . this goes to what?

2) why this EXE file is great as well?
why the first link is: Download Standalone Installer of PGE 0.2.2-rc. it's so big?

3) do not get me wrong: this seems weird. thank you for everyone's attention, good night, good morning or good afternoon. thank you

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #2by Wohlstand » 18 Apr 2015, 6:37

Hello!
I'm explain you sense of than links:
Exalts Mario wrote:1a) Download Standalone Installer of PGE 0.2.2-rc . this goes to what? why is SO BIG?
it's a FULL PGE which packed into alone installer. It contains:
- Editor
- Engine
- Helpful tools (LazyFixTool, GIFs2PNG, PNG2GIFs)
- 4 config packs: SMBX 1.3, A2XT, SMBX Redrawn, SMBX Integration (you need one of them to take PGE working)
- Included standalone help

Exalts Mario wrote:1b) Download Editor 0.2.2-rc for Windows x86 . this goes to what?
Here presented editor only with no config packs and with no other tools.

Exalts Mario wrote:1.c) Download Additional tools 0.2.2-rc for Windows x86 . this goes to what?
Here are LazyFix tool which fixing wrong masks made by lazily effort which looks ugly with alpha-blending render style; GIFs2PNG which converts each SMBX-styled sprite into solid PNG image which has native transparency and can be easily edited in the graphical tool like GIMP, Photoshop or Paint.NET; and PNG2GIFs - opposite tool which converts PNG pictures into SMBX-styled graphics. It saves your time if you drawing sprite and it fully automatizing creating of masks of any difficulty.

Exalts Mario wrote:1.d) Download sources (Zip). this goes to what?
1.e) Download sources (tar.gz) . this goes to what?
Both links are source code in C++ language of PGE Project which you can use to create your own PGE builts (I mean those soueces)

Exalts Mario wrote:2) why this EXE file is great as well?
why the first link is: Download Standalone Installer of PGE 0.2.2-rc. it's so big?
The question is stupid, and answer too: it contains EVERYTHING unlike ZIP files which are separated parts. If you don't want retrieve everything, you would can grab online installer which will download only necessary parts of PGE

EDIT: Online installer is much optimized choice which giving you able to retrieve only necessary parts of PGE (config packs are large parts of PGE but usually you need for 1-2 packs to use SMBX or A2XT stuff)
Online installer is here: http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_laboratory/pge-online-downloader.exe

Bright
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
Bright
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #3by Bright » 19 Apr 2015, 7:13

I downloaded all that I said, only not downloaded the 'Download Editor 0.2.2-rc', because we were told it is the same thing, but with fewer resources (it is what I understood).

a question: I have downloaded all the PGE project? is there anything of PGE to download?

Thank you

Added after 2 minutes 24 seconds:
I downloaded all that I said, only not downloaded the 'Download Editor 0.2.2-rc', because we were told it is the same thing, but with fewer resources (it is what I understood).

a question: I have downloaded all the PGE project? is there anything of PGE to download?

Thank you

CaptainSwag101 M
CaptainSwag101 M
YouTube

Post #4by CaptainSwag101 » 24 Apr 2015, 22:17

In order to start using PGE, it is recommended to download the PGE Online installer or the PGE Standalone installer. The Online installer is a small file because it is a small program which automatically downloads the bigger files needed to install the actual PGE application and all the resources. The Standalone installer is a large file because it already contains all the files you need to install PGE and all the resources without downloading anything else.

You probably don't need the "Additional Tools" package unless you regularly create custom SMBX graphics or music or want to optimize SMBX graphics/music files for PGE.

Also, I think there should be a "Recommended" title on the Downloads page to make it easy for people to find the most commonly-used installer file.
--The Captain of Swag

Return to “Troubleshooting”