Issue with SMBX (1.3) not recognising/loading custom gfx from a level folder.

Description: It's archive, posting new is here http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Snowburger
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby
Snowburger
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby

Post #1by Snowburger » 2 Jan 2020, 6:17

Hey,

I'm currently using the PGE Editor in order to create levels, and I'm using SMBX's playtest function through the editor to make sure everything is working as expected, and just to test the level in general.

I'm having an issue where I'm using custom GFX for one specific level (i.e. a file named "lvl" and a folder named "lvl" so obviously the custom GFX only appear in the one level. When in SMBX, the custom GFX don't load; it simply shows the original SMBX graphic. The custom GFX load fine in PGE and the folder has a standard layout, so I'm confused as to why the GFX aren't being picked up by SMBX. This only occurs with the level-specific custom GFX; the universal GFX work and appear normally.

Thanks for any help.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
English Pronouns: he/him
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #2by Wohlstand » 2 Jan 2020, 20:14

Snowburger wrote:a file named "lvl" and a folder named "lvl"
I.e. a file is named as "lvl.lvl" and folder named as "lvl"? I may guess SMBX confused. Try to rename your level file into "meow.lvl" and folder into "meow" for a little test :catkiss:

Snowburger
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby
Snowburger
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby

Post #3by Snowburger » 5 Jan 2020, 5:30

Wohlstand wrote:
I.e. a file is named as "lvl.lvl" and folder named as "lvl"? I may guess SMBX confused. Try to rename your level file into "meow.lvl" and folder into "meow" for a little test :catkiss:

Hi, this changed nothing, unfortunately :-(

Added after 16 minutes 38 seconds:
Wohlstand wrote:

Is there a viable alternative for testing levels?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #4by Wohlstand » 5 Jan 2020, 17:56

Okay, another question: in which format your custom GFX? If they are PNGs, you should use PNG2GIFs tool to make them be valid for vanilla SMBX 1.3. For SMBX-38A and SMBX2 that is not needed as they are supports PNG natively.

Snowburger
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby
Snowburger
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby

Post #5by Snowburger » 9 Jan 2020, 18:57

Wohlstand wrote:Okay, another question: in which format your custom GFX? If they are PNGs, you should use PNG2GIFs tool to make them be valid for vanilla SMBX 1.3. For SMBX-38A and SMBX2 that is not needed as they are supports PNG natively.

Sorry for all the problems, but how do I open the PNG2GIF tool? Every time I open it, it just does nothing. Something flashes up for a second, but nothing happens.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #6by Wohlstand » 9 Jan 2020, 22:25

Snowburger wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:Okay, another question: in which format your custom GFX? If they are PNGs, you should use PNG2GIFs tool to make them be valid for vanilla SMBX 1.3. For SMBX-38A and SMBX2 that is not needed as they are supports PNG natively.

Sorry for all the problems, but how do I open the PNG2GIF tool? Every time I open it, it just does nothing. Something flashes up for a second, but nothing happens.
This!!!
was a very stupid bug in recent build, I have fixed it immediately by a report of another user, feel free to pull a newer PGE toolchain to fix that. https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project/commit/2c ... b49185d2cc968d4342a96431eeee63

EDIT: Sorry, I misslooked the context, and I though you ran GIFs2PNG and got a broken PNGs from a source GIFs. It's a bug I have already fixed.

Added after 8 minutes 36 seconds:
Snowburger wrote:Sorry for all the problems, but how do I open the PNG2GIF tool? Every time I open it, it just does nothing. Something flashes up for a second, but nothing happens.
Okay, It's a console tool, not GUI. You should use it from a command line: give to it the path to your PNG GFX where are stored, and it will convert them into GIFs format.

Return to “Troubleshooting”