My Custom PGE Graphics (BIG UPDATE)

Description: Post your artworks, creations & stories here.
Moderator: Moderators

Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Avatar
Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Age: 23
Reputation: 115
Posts: 254
Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Location: Australia

Post #1by Squishy Rex » 17 Nov 2014, 14:47

I've finally come up with my own theme for sprites with the possibility of an idea for a game (Known as Dream Gardens). All of the sprites now currently use the SMW palette and are drawn in a style that echoes SMW and YI. There are some new sprites below, so feel free to let me know what you think. The custom items are still Mario themed, but they will be changed in time. I also have the WIP Boss which currently does not have a name or a sprite replacement as of yet. If you have a name for it feel free to post it below.

Image

Sprite Replacements:
Gummy: SMB3 Goomba
Bubble Gummy: SMB3 Paragoomba
All-Day Gummy: Grand Goomba
Tootsie Roller: Tootsie (Green Gummy) replaces another Goomba, while the Mint Roller (Red & White Candy) replaces Mega Mole.
Wasp: Replaces Ripper
Dragodile: Replaces SMW Spiny
Flame Dragodile: Replaces Snifit (maybe)
Skull Dragodile: Replaces Snifit (maybe)
Giant Dragodile: Replaces SMB3 Spiny
Uchuujin: Replaces SML2 Paragoomba
Giant Kaiboon: SMB1 Goomba
Jaw Breaker: Replaces SMB3 Thwomp
Mine: Replaces SMB2 Bob-Omb
Geyser Guppy: Replaces SMB3 Red Cheep Cheep (Also may get a colour change)
Freezie: Replaces SMB1 Gloomba
Freezski: Replaces a Goomba
Blastor: Replaces Snifit
Magic Orb: Replaces SMB2 Orb
Hydrant: Replaces Ludwig von Koopa
Octolot: Replaces Blooper
Scuba: Replaces Cheep Cheep
Tunnel Bug: Replaces Piranha Plant/Goomba
Pit Worm: Replaces a Goomba
Stinger: Replaces Swooper

These sprites are free to use for any application outside of SMBX and PGE, as long as credit is given.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
Image
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!
Image

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Avatar
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Age: 19
Reputation: 80
Posts: 377
Joined: 26 Apr 2014
Location: Austria

Post #2by Kevsoft » 17 Nov 2014, 15:03

Very nice, I like it :D
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.start() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Image
Wohlstand in interview:
Spoiler
Image

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.end() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Avatar
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Reputation: 57
Posts: 369
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Location: Russia

Post #3by Veudekato » 17 Nov 2014, 19:13

I like it. But as wohlstand said PGE will have SNES SMB3 pallette
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Avatar
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Age: 25
Reputation: 331
Posts: 1312
Joined: 15 Feb 2014
Location: Moscow, Russia
Website Skype YouTube

Post #4by Wohlstand » 17 Nov 2014, 19:45

Veudekato wrote:I like it. But as wohlstand said PGE will have SNES SMB3 pallette
Don't forget about 256^256^256 color pallete is available, it can allow mixing everything

Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Avatar
Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Age: 23
Reputation: 115
Posts: 254
Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Location: Australia

Post #5by Squishy Rex » 18 Nov 2014, 3:29

Veudekato wrote:I like it. But as wohlstand said PGE will have SNES SMB3 pallette

Oh yes, I know, I am just experimenting with the NES palette at the moment for most of the sprites I make. I'm practically taking what is 8-Bit and turning into something with a 16-Bit functionality.

Also thanks guys, I'm glad you like Gummy.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
Image
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!
Image

Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Avatar
Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Age: 23
Reputation: 115
Posts: 254
Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Location: Australia

Post #6by Squishy Rex » 19 Nov 2014, 6:08

UPDATE!
Image

So, two new enemies have rolled on in, so let me explain them to you.

Firstly, we have the big guy, All-Day Gummy.
Replacement: Grand Goomba

Now I was looking for a name to steer away from the Mario series, meaning no Para, Grand, Gargantua etc. That's where "All-Day" comes in. Now All-Day Suckers are giant gumballs that take longer to eat, so I used that name with this enemy. He's bigger than a normal Gummy, just like All-Day Suckers are bigger than normal Gumballs. I tried to be creative here.

Secondly, is the green fast-roller, Tootsie Roller.
Replacement: Goomba

As you'd guess, it's a pun on Tootsie Roll. Now, I'm not American and I have no idea what a Tootsie Roll is, but a Gummy on a rolling Mint is good enough for me. Officially, I'd say that the green Gummy is known just as "Tootsie" and the Red/White Mint is called "Roller", but ya know, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Also before I forget, the Roller Mint replaces Mega Mole.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
Image
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!
Image

sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend
sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend
Age: 21
Reputation: 10
Posts: 55
Joined: 30 Aug 2014
Location: Poland

Post #7by sky2 » 23 Nov 2014, 3:32

Those Gummies look like wingless parasprites :D Great graphics, and very original names. For me names of the enemies have similiar naming style to SMW2 Yoshi's Island but... it's about graphics. Even if I don't like so much cgfx I like the graphics! They're made like they fit to Black Squirrel Tileset. Tootsie Roller also looks great ;-)
Poof!

Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Avatar
Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Age: 23
Reputation: 115
Posts: 254
Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Location: Australia

Post #8by Squishy Rex » 23 Nov 2014, 13:16

Thanks sky2! I see what you mean about the Yoshi's Island stylization of names. Tootsie Roller or at least the green Gummy is somewhat based upon YI sprites, or at least when they look like they are running frantically. Now I'm trying to steer away from Gummy enemies for a while, or at least while I focus on some other enemy replacements.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
Image
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!
Image

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Avatar
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Age: 37
Reputation: 16
Posts: 88
Joined: 24 Jun 2014

Post #9by Mikepjr » 24 Nov 2014, 14:28

Hmm i hope anything i am working on fits in it... they use quite a lot of colors.. specially the larger stuff... then again.. it's hard to make a single sprite use even over 24 colors.. for me anyhow..
Did not realize their was a pallet limit though.

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Avatar
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Age: 19
Reputation: 80
Posts: 377
Joined: 26 Apr 2014
Location: Austria

Post #10by Kevsoft » 24 Nov 2014, 16:22

Mikepjr wrote:Hmm i hope anything i am working on fits in it... they use quite a lot of colors.. specially the larger stuff... then again.. it's hard to make a single sprite use even over 24 colors.. for me anyhow..
Did not realize their was a pallet limit though.

Wohlstand wrote:
Veudekato wrote:I like it. But as wohlstand said PGE will have SNES SMB3 pallette
Don't forget about 256^256^256 color pallete is available, it can allow mixing everything

Wohlstand doesn't set any limits. Also don't forget we are in the very early stage of the engine, so there is plenty of time.
Last edited by h2643 on 24 Nov 2014, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.start() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Image
Wohlstand in interview:
Spoiler
Image

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.end() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Avatar
Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Age: 23
Reputation: 115
Posts: 254
Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Location: Australia

Post #11by Squishy Rex » 25 Nov 2014, 7:05

Mikepjr wrote:Hmm i hope anything i am working on fits in it... they use quite a lot of colors.. specially the larger stuff... then again.. it's hard to make a single sprite use even over 24 colors.. for me anyhow..
Did not realize their was a pallet limit though.

I know what you mean. Anything over 64x64 graphic, I seem to just use every colour under the sun for anything custom. I would definitely like to try and get anything I make to look visually similar to your graphics. I mean feel free to edit anything of mine too of course. I know shading isn't exactly my strongest point and trying to work with you is going to be much more easier than not. :)

Kevsoft wrote:Wohlstand doesn't set any limits. Also don't forget we are in the very early stage of the engine, so there is plenty of time.

Well that sure is good to hear. Removing the idea of "limits" really widen the spectrum for what can be achieved with this engine. As for having plenty of time, that's great, I mean I certainly won't be trying rush anything, after all, that is when mistakes happen.
Last edited by h2643 on 25 Nov 2014, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote code fixed.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
Image
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!
Image

Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Avatar
Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Age: 23
Reputation: 115
Posts: 254
Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Location: Australia

Post #12by Squishy Rex » 1 Jan 2015, 3:41

Update, check the first post.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
Image
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!
Image

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Avatar
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Reputation: 57
Posts: 369
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Location: Russia

Post #13by Veudekato » 2 Jan 2015, 11:39

Looks awesome. Anyways kaiboon looks like in Mario
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Avatar
Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Age: 23
Reputation: 115
Posts: 254
Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Location: Australia

Post #14by Squishy Rex » 2 Jan 2015, 12:53

Yeah it is a heavy edit of the SMW Eerie, though it isn't completely finished, I have a few things I still want to change with it so it doesn't look quite as Mario-ish as it does currently. I have made a few edits to it since posting the update and it looks a lot more original now.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
Image
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!
Image

Minecelot M
Good citizen
Good citizen
Avatar
Minecelot M
Good citizen
Good citizen
Age: 11
Reputation: 5
Posts: 28
Joined: 27 Jan 2017
YouTube

Post #15by Minecelot » 4 Feb 2017, 12:23

Squishy Rex wrote:I've finally come up with my own theme for sprites with the possibility of an idea for a game (Known as Dream Gardens). All of the sprites now currently use the SMW palette and are drawn in a style that echoes SMW and YI. There are some new sprites below, so feel free to let me know what you think. The custom items are still Mario themed, but they will be changed in time. I also have the WIP Boss which currently does not have a name or a sprite replacement as of yet. If you have a name for it feel free to post it below.

Image

Sprite Replacements:
Gummy: SMB3 Goomba
Bubble Gummy: SMB3 Paragoomba
All-Day Gummy: Grand Goomba
Tootsie Roller: Tootsie (Green Gummy) replaces another Goomba, while the Mint Roller (Red & White Candy) replaces Mega Mole.
Wasp: Replaces Ripper
Dragodile: Replaces SMW Spiny
Flame Dragodile: Replaces Snifit (maybe)
Skull Dragodile: Replaces Snifit (maybe)
Giant Dragodile: Replaces SMB3 Spiny
Uchuujin: Replaces SML2 Paragoomba
Giant Kaiboon: SMB1 Goomba
Jaw Breaker: Replaces SMB3 Thwomp
Mine: Replaces SMB2 Bob-Omb
Geyser Guppy: Replaces SMB3 Red Cheep Cheep (Also may get a colour change)
Freezie: Replaces SMB1 Gloomba
Freezski: Replaces a Goomba
Blastor: Replaces Snifit
Magic Orb: Replaces SMB2 Orb
Hydrant: Replaces Ludwig von Koopa
Octolot: Replaces Blooper
Scuba: Replaces Cheep Cheep
Tunnel Bug: Replaces Piranha Plant/Goomba
Pit Worm: Replaces a Goomba
Stinger: Replaces Swooper

These sprites are free to use for any application outside of SMBX and PGE, as long as credit is given.

Squishy Rex,I like your pixel art skills. Do you have a tutorial?


Return to “Art Board”

Who is online (over the past 5 minutes)

Users browsing this forum: 1 guest