'Tab 'Graphics' for Advanced NPC Settings' Suggestion

Description: Have any suggestions or new ideas for SMBX-38A? This is a place for you. Good suggestions may appear in future versions of SMBX-38A.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

ILikeWoods
Topic author, Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Topic author, Duke
Duke

Post #1by ILikeWoods » 13 Mar 2016, 17:22

Pre-Information: In case of ambiguities (by asking questions of course) I will provide more examples. Instead of loosing too many words trying to explain my idea/suggestion, I have 'faked' this as an already implemented feature.

Sprites_NPCs_fig01.png
Sprites_NPCs_fig01.png (11.62 KiB) Viewed 506 times

This 'Advanced NPC Setting' window is for the SMB1 ground goomba, as you might see yourself (NPC-89). By opening the advanced window, you`ll notice a new tab called 'Graphics'. Let`s see what it does contain.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sprites_NPCs_fig03.png

This new tab generally allows to modify the graphics for each NPC of the same npc type (like npc-89). This does not include changes of gfxheight /width, frames, framestyle etc, only the coloration of the pixels itself. If these enemy npcs would be 3D-models you would just give them ... skins that way, individual.
So, let`s say you want to have these castle and underground colored goombas from SMB1 in your levels. Of course there are more than enough already existing goomba npcs, but at the latest with rather unique enemy npcs you might have a little problem, if you want to go on like this. For further explanations check out the upper picture.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sprites_NPCs_fig02.png

This should just show once again what I already described. You would have to enter the exact filenames of the skins into the textfields (maybe with the PNG file extension). They could have any name, but each skin must have an unique name. If the file can not be found, the default sprite will be loaded or the one set in the npc text file.

Limitions and down sides:
Pretty useless for item NPCs, since you could only set up the "Main displayed sprite"
It only does allow to exchange the graphics for certain npcs, but not the frames, framestyle, gfxheight etc, just the plain displayed graphics.
Most enemies in newer sprite based mario games do not even differ on the overworld, in castles or underground unlike SMB1 enemies.

(I also uploaded the images here, you never know ...)
http://abload.de/img/sprites_npcs_fig01lzlbe.png
http://abload.de/img/sprites_npcs_fig02pyarw.png
http://abload.de/img/sprites_npcs_fig0378a45.png

andreepika1336
Our friend
Our friend
andreepika1336
Our friend
Our friend

Post #2by andreepika1336 » 13 Mar 2016, 20:50

That's a good idea, but will this apply to other gfx? (blocks, background objects, backgrounds, level graphics in world map, world map paths, and the yoshis)

ILikeWoods
Topic author, Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Topic author, Duke
Duke

Post #3by ILikeWoods » 13 Mar 2016, 21:08

Thanks and nope. Blocks get treated differently. Given the fact that you can not set up a text file as you can do with npcs, it is just not possible and wouldn`t make big sense anyway.
In terms of background objects we would just "need" a whole new page with "empty" background objects which you can customize additionally in case the existing ones are not enough. If you open the "background objects" where you can find the game`s objects of Super Mario Bros. and co. until "misc", think of a new tab called "Custom", with just black or white background objects (placeholders) of different sizes. This at least should be a rather easy job, just adding some additional background object slots. For world path .. well it would be neat as well.

Pilzinsel64
Count
Count
Pilzinsel64
Count
Count

Post #4by Pilzinsel64 » 13 Mar 2016, 21:13

This is a realy good idea! But i think 38A will need mutch of time to insert this is SMBX.

ILikeWoods
Topic author, Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Topic author, Duke
Duke

Post #5by ILikeWoods » 13 Mar 2016, 21:18

Maybe he doesn`t even give a sh1t about my ideas anyway.
At least I tried, but some of my very first ideas actually got implemented into 1.4.2 (e.g. pipes for Mini-Mario only). But I am aware, it also could have been a coincidence and he would have included these features anyway.

gabrieljamh M
Good citizen
Good citizen
gabrieljamh M
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #6by gabrieljamh » 14 Mar 2016, 20:08

that is a good idea, but I would like too to have something like that for player animations
-----BomberMan Land Online Team & BomberCraft BR admin :comando: -----

*Projects WIP:
Minecraft serie (unnamed)
SMBX's 1.4.2 world - unnamed gabrieljamh adventure
Skyrim serie (unnamed)

*Projects stopped:
PMD - Protectors of Time (fanmade PMD history/game)

*working in:
Model/video making (MMD)

ILikeWoods
Topic author, Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Topic author, Duke
Duke

Post #7by ILikeWoods » 14 Mar 2016, 22:20

gabrieljamh wrote:that is a good idea, but I would like too to have something like that for player animations
No idea, what you mean: You might as well using some charts and graphs to explain your idea a little bit more in detail?!

Anyway: It seems to be the best of my ideas & suggestions so far. At least according to the active feedback here.

BTW: Since I don`t have a lot of time right now, I `ll provide some examples as text only:

Imagine the SMB 3 beetle in two versions, the regular one with "default" sprites and one version half covered in sand (well, desert level)
The beelte would make use of all 5 Graphics slots, as well as the koopas of course

Imagine the SMB 1 green koopa in three versions, the regular one with "default" sprites, one in the underground sections (usually a little more blue-ish) and maybe a third one half covered with snow (snow level, you guessed it).

The piranha plants would only make use of the very first slot, everything else would not have any effect.

But even if the user does not want to add custom graphics for each npc by hand, the Graphics tab can help you by showing the actual npc and effect graphic number pngs, which you otherwise have to figure out by searching by yourself.
Last edited by ILikeWoods on 14 Mar 2016, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

gabrieljamh M
Good citizen
Good citizen
gabrieljamh M
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #8by gabrieljamh » 14 Mar 2016, 22:31

ILikeWoods wrote:
gabrieljamh wrote:that is a good idea, but I would like too to have something like that for player animations
No idea, what you mean: You might as well using some charts and graphs to explain your idea a little bit more in detail?!

Anyway: It seems to be the best of my ideas & suggestions so far. At least according to the active feedback here.

I mean custom player animations -more farmes to some animation, size change and specific animation change- is that what I mean
-----BomberMan Land Online Team & BomberCraft BR admin :comando: -----

*Projects WIP:
Minecraft serie (unnamed)
SMBX's 1.4.2 world - unnamed gabrieljamh adventure
Skyrim serie (unnamed)

*Projects stopped:
PMD - Protectors of Time (fanmade PMD history/game)

*working in:
Model/video making (MMD)

ILikeWoods
Topic author, Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Topic author, Duke
Duke

Post #9by ILikeWoods » 14 Mar 2016, 22:38

I had a long day and I am really tired, forgive my empty sucked brain ^^

But anyway: I am not the one who has to understand anyway, it is .... *have to check out the correct "username"* 5438A38A!

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”