SMBX 1.4.5 Editor Improvements

Description: Have any suggestions or new ideas for SMBX-38A? This is a place for you. Good suggestions may appear in future versions of SMBX-38A.
Moderators: Lx Xzit, Yoshi021, 5438A38A, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Website

Post #1by Lx Xzit » 26 Apr 2020, 23:27

1. Make the right pane be able to "remember" its size. Added Patch 30

I, for example, like the right pane to look like this:
    Spoiler
    q.png

But every time I close and open the game I have to readjust it:
    Spoiler
    q2.png
    q2.png (8.53 KiB) Viewed 390 times

Please make it always remember its size, so it's not needed to adjust it on every session. It becomes a bit tedious.

2. An option to not hide windows (lose focus) after placing an object.

This is the normal procedure of editing:
    Spoiler
    Honeycam 2020-04-26 15-13-10.gif

I think it's a bit slow.

Every time I place an object the window loses its focus, so I have to focus it again. This results in a lot of unnecessary clicks and overall reduce the speed and comfort when editing. This makes "Max Windows" not being suitable so we have to use the old, normal window instead. Please make an option at Editor Settings to not let windows lose focus:

Spoiler
    r.png
    r.png (6.97 KiB) Viewed 390 times
    If implemented, I strongly suggest enable it by default.

3. Quick Access to player start points: Added workaround in Patch 30

Concept:
    Spoiler
    concept.png
    concept.png (1.73 KiB) Viewed 390 times

Buttons:
    icons.zip
    (1.44 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Since we have to test a lot our levels, it would be handy to have a quick access to player start points!
  4. An option to disable these tips: Added Patch 30

Spoiler
    t.png
    t.png (636 Bytes) Viewed 390 times

These tips may be useful for beginners, but after you get used to the editor and learn it, they become pointless (and a bit annoying).

5. An option to hide descriptions.

I think from all my previous suggestions, this is probably the most important one. An option to hide the space for descriptions in all windows:
    Spoiler
    z.png

z2.png

Why? The problem with it is that it takes away worth UI space, making the UI smaller and a bit messy sometimes.
    Also when you learned what every function does, you no longer need them. And still, when you hover the mouse for a second the descriptions appear anyways so they don't really need to take UI space:

Spoiler
    y.png

Ideally, the editor will remember the size you assigned to each description (i.e each window, similar to suggestion #1) so you can choose which descriptions you which not. It would be like script windows which always remember the size you assigned to it. But if this is harder to implement, an option to hide the descriptions altogether would do the job. (Though hiding descriptions at the right pane shouldn't be necessary, it's mostly in smaller windows.)

6. Prioritize block selection first.

When you right click it switches to select mode, so you can easily grab an object with the combination of right click + left click. However when a window is unfocused, you can't do this:

Spoiler
    Honeycam 2020-04-26 16-37-59.gif
    Honeycam 2020-04-26 16-37-59.gif (108.63 KiB) Viewed 390 times

To avoid this happen, I suggest not focusing the windows (by right-clicking them) when the cursor is pointing to an object.
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT
Join our 38A Discord server!

NESTED ERNEST M
Count
Count
NESTED ERNEST M
Count
Count
Website

Post #2by NESTED ERNEST » 27 Apr 2020, 0:45

Excuse me, but what exactly is the objective of the 6?

Left click is to hold an object(you move it).
Left click + shift key is to select/modify an object(without moving it).
The right click is to be in focus of a window that is behind.

If there are multiple objects above the cursor and you want to select one, press the av pag or re pag key.

If you want to block the selection of some types of objects temporarily like liquids, you click on the tool that has a 'W'.
Programming NPCs in SMBX-38A is fun:
That is me

ROCKMAN GIF IN SMBX 38A

Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Website

Post #3by Lx Xzit » 27 Apr 2020, 4:27

NESTED ERNEST wrote:Excuse me, but what exactly is the objective of the 6?

When you right click an object (which is inside of the hidden windows area, like in the gif), the game focus back the window. My suggestion is to make the game require to right-click an empty space in order to focus the window again. So you can still right click + left click to select an object without worrying for the hidden window.

Right now, when you want to select an object you have to:
-Deselect it by right clicking outside the hidden area window (or by clicking in "Section")
-Go back to the object you wanted to grab and then left click it.

Look at this scenario for example:
Honeycam 2020-04-26 22-16-02.gif

But if the game required you to click an empty space in order to focus the window again, you could just right + left click that object.
It may not seem like a big deal but it really is, especially with big windows (I often use big tilesets). Most of times I end up focusing the windows by accident when I just wanted to grab an object. This is just a small (but significant) QoL change.

I personally believe hidden windows are a bit annoying so some of my suggestions aim to make them friendlier-

By the way, the types of selection you mentioned are different. No, I don't mean to access an stacked index nor modifying the properties of an object, I was talking about grabbing it.
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT
Join our 38A Discord server!

NESTED ERNEST M
Count
Count
NESTED ERNEST M
Count
Count
Website

Post #4by NESTED ERNEST » 27 Apr 2020, 6:50

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Now I understood you.

Although I think the first sentence of your explanation is better than the one in the main post.
Programming NPCs in SMBX-38A is fun:
That is me

ROCKMAN GIF IN SMBX 38A

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”