visual block scripting to replace tea script

Description: Have any suggestions or new ideas for SMBX-38A? This is a place for you. Good suggestions may appear in future versions of SMBX-38A.
Moderators: Lx Xzit, Yoshi021, 5438A38A, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

do you like my suggestion and do you think it would bring more scripts to smbx 38a?

yes
Shadowblitz16, Eri7, EmeraldMaster777, Alucard, Numaki
45%
maybe
PK Esper
9%
no
Catskart, SmokeyTheBandicoot, Ariinui, Coolio__, Victor ManuelMR
45%

Total voters: 11
Shadowblitz16
Topic author, Close friend
Close friend
Shadowblitz16
Close friend

Post #1by Shadowblitz16 » 2 Mar 2017, 22:35

I have noticed that a lot of people are having trouble with tea script including me.
this is not good for fan made content, and could result in smbx 38a dying in the future.

so I have this single suggestion. block scripting!
basically each line of code would be a command that would represent an action, or statement.
you would be able to organize these commands by shifting them up or down.
each command would have a sub command for organization as well as parameters

these are the commands I could think of at the moment...
-statement // sub commands would be "if", "elseif", "else", "end", "switch", "case"
-variable // sub commands would be "set", "get"
-property // sub commands would be "set", "get"
-spawn // sub commands would be "player", "npc", "block", "background", "tile"
-sound // sub commands would be "play", "stop"
-draw // sub commands would be "bitmap", "collisions"
-loop // sub commands would be "repeat", "while", "dowhile", "for", "foreach"
-move // sub commands would be "position", "velocity", "acceleration", "friction"
-hitbox // sub command would be "hitbox", "hurtbox"
-terminate // "player", "npc", "block", "background", "tile", "collision"

this suggestion comes from a program called project smash attacks, which is a smash bros brawl command hacking tool.
I think it would make more scripts appear on the forums especially if it wasn't implemented with very vague and basic way like it is now.

Zwertll
Close friend
Close friend
Zwertll
Close friend
Close friend

Post #2by Zwertll » 3 Mar 2017, 1:47

I would first like to say that Teascript is already based on a real language that is Visual Basic so there is no Switch or Default because there is Select Case and Case Else. As I looked for this tool, I saw the block shape. It's cool but if you search I do not think there are too many engines (in your script part) that use this. Nor do we know how an addition of this kind could interfere. However an autocomplete and indentation was added in this last update.

Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Shadowblitz16
Close friend

Post #3by Shadowblitz16 » 3 Mar 2017, 3:56

basing it on a that language is a problem though since its awfully limited and hard to understand.
even something like c++ or c# would be better then what is currently being used.
as smbx is a mario fan game and is based around the idea of being easy to use.

Catskart M
Count
Count
Catskart M
Count
Count

Post #4by Catskart » 3 Mar 2017, 13:10

Stop to say that TeaScript is hard.
With the willingness we can do some things with teascript with at least the scripting help where all is documented on val, function, etc...

Zwertll
Close friend
Close friend
Zwertll
Close friend
Close friend

Post #5by Zwertll » 3 Mar 2017, 13:42

If the language was based on C # or C ++ it would only benefit (from first contact) who already knows these languages. Those who were not willing to learn would continue without scripting. We also do not know if the developer will change the script language or add another.

Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Shadowblitz16
Close friend

Post #6by Shadowblitz16 » 4 Mar 2017, 6:02

@Catskart it may not be hard to you. but its definitely hard to me and other people as well
- for one YOU CAN"T DECLARE VARIABLES IN SCRIPT even though I had posted about this before.
in a normal programming language you can do things like "var = 2" but in tea script you can't you have the stupid variable editor.
- documentation is horrible for tea script it doesn't give you examples of code at all
- doing speed/friction/acceleration is a pain in the ass to do at all, and I'm sure more complex things are sure to be even more of a hassle.
- I have no idea why you need to do things like ".x" when you could do just "x".
I'm just saying scripting could be a lot user friendlier and visual block scripting would make this happen.
Edit: why did you vote no?

@Zwertll
I'm not suggesting c# or c++ that would also be too hard for new users
I'm suggestion visual block scripting like this

PK Esper F
Lord
Lord
PK Esper F
Lord
Lord
Website Facebook Twitter

Post #7by PK Esper » 4 Mar 2017, 7:27

It would be really nice if every code or functions will be in the document because you know, many people complains about TeaScript is hard to use and some people says TeaScript is easy/simple to use while LunaLua is powerful than TeaScript. I don't know if I should agree with Catskart or ShadowBlitz, and stop complaining about it.

EDIT: So I vote maybe.
why i hadn't been in this forum for long when i used to be a super active person
avatar is basically baldi from tumblr
Formerly known as RSupertheGreat.
ImageImage
What I support
ImageImageImage
Personality
Yes, I'm a girl. If you guys are thinking I'm a boy.
I hate most people.
I'm a developer (and a beta tester of):
My level/episode playthrough thread: http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2185

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”