Functions/Tools that should be removed (rarely used or obsolete)

Description: Have any suggestions or new ideas for SMBX-38A? This is a place for you. Good suggestions may appear in future versions of SMBX-38A.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Website

Post #1by Lx Xzit » 9 Nov 2019, 9:34

1.) Backgrounds right pane

Spoiler
It doesn't serve to any purpose, and overwrites other important right panes for nothing. The only utility of this pane is to switch the layer of the BGO, but you can already do this by selecting the layer first, then placing the object.

2.) "Foreground" option
Spoiler
It is outdated and the game itself advices to use Z-position instead. If this is discouraged, and a new function that does it better exists, this function should be removed from the NPC Editor UI, but keep it still functional for compatibility.

3.) "Section" info
Spoiler
Knowing the X and Y position of the section is irrelevant (unless you're doing something VERY specific with scripts, but you can already get the coordinates by pressing F11). It is also irrelevant know the width and height of the level window. "Boundary" function is actually useful but it's already in the tool panel at the left of the screen. The player's start position is important too (but if this gets implemented, it will no longer be needed and this whole "Section" could be deleted).

4.) "Circle Cursor" tool (Image)

It does basically the same as Rect Cursor. You can only really notice a difference placing a HUGE circle. In my opinion, this function is completely irrelevant.
Spoiler

5.) "Line Cursor" tool (Image)

Rect Cursor already helps you to place a rect line of objects. It is also extremely rare that you want to do a long, rect diagonal line, I can't think of common level designs that requires that. But in any case, you can place a diagonal line of objects manually, and it's not worth a tool for it.

6.) "Fill" tool (Image)

This tool is extremely risky to use, a single mistake and your level is ruined. If you wrong-filled an area you can't undo it since the game doesn't support undo functions (yet). I also don't think it is really needed since you can already fill blocks fast and safely with Rect Cursor tool (which SMBX 1.3 lacks of, and probably the reason "Fill" tool is actually useful there). But I do think the removal of this function is much less relevant than what I mentioned above.
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT
Join our 38A Discord server!

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #2by Wohlstand » 10 Nov 2019, 20:37

Lx Xzit wrote:4.) "Circle Cursor" tool (Изображение)
I guess here was an ineffective algorithm used, and what would be correct:
Spoiler
Peek 2019-11-10 20-33.gif

Lx Xzit wrote:6.) "Fill" tool (Изображение)
It REQUIRES a history manager to undo a result of mistake. That is in PGE Editor. Also, accidental filling of too big area has a timeout to stop the fillling. Without history manager this feature is really dangerous :comando: , therefore, agree.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”