Description: Have any suggestions or new ideas for SMBX-38A? This is a place for you. Good suggestions may appear in future versions of SMBX-38A.
Moderators: Lx Xzit, Yoshi021, 5438A38A, Moderators, Semi-moderatos
We know some musics which in SMBX 1.4.2~1.4.4 (and PGE, SMBX2) are not original track, they are MIDI or SPC covers, I don't like them because they are lost original songs' feeling, so can you use original songs in future? Thanks!
I made an SMBX music pack, OGG songs are looped and made them not too loud.
Visit my YouTube channel Yave Yu!
The full music pack was updated long time ago to use looped OGGs and new-ripped BRSTMs and N64/NDS chiptunes with high quality. The config pack that contains latest state of the music pack http://wohlsoft.ru/config_packs/pack_info.php?pack=SMBX13/ (inside of archive the "SMBX/data/music" folder). I'll take this to review and I'll say, is this fine, or I'll just send my stuff to 38A as update of the music pack.
Added after 15 minutes 22 seconds:
Okay, I see the difference that some themes are different:
- mario64-castle: your with reverb, my without
- mario64-cave: different parties, at my is also choir plays
- tds-metroid-charge: mine is ripped from chiptune from Tetris-DS game directly by myself, it has much better quality, it's also has a faster tempo.
- You have tried to reduce volume of sounds, that good
- Quality of your sounds is worse, that is not so good...
- When you are making compressed file, choose compression rate wisely: try to save the song in 3 level, but check it, if you will hear it is distorted a bit, then increase quality. Until you will get equal sound with no any damage. My hears are sensitive and I can hear most of sound damages produced by low-rate compressions.
- Use chiptunes instead of pre-recorded MP3s are already compressed and having distorted sound. Speaking about of PCM-based songs (are originally BRSTM or something), convert them directly from BRSTM into WAV, upsample, and put loop tags as needed, and save OGG with wisely chosen compression rate.
- Don't compress everything with low-rate, otherwise you will produce distorted sound. It's NOT good.
Added after 21 minutes 26 seconds:
Speaking on reason why I have originally replaced some songs with SPC covers: SMBX itself is tries to reproduce SNES feeling, and it's would be better to have SMW-SPC covers than those originals. For some songs are no SPC yet, and I have put MIDI covers. However, as originally I hadn't libOPNMIDI and have early implementation of libADLMIDI, the well known by Win9x drivers and annoyed FatMan bank was used. Now those libraries are giving much more power with GS/XG standard features support and that can be used. As example, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PRagjJsSq0 .
For SM64 BGM, I edited from FLAC OST. I tried use N64 MINIUSF, but some songs have problems, such as Snow Mountain, it's slower than original, I don't know is it bad rip, I got them from Zophar's Domain. The 2 SM64 songs sounds not like original, but more near to SMBX 1.3 or 184.108.40.206, so I used them.
For Tetris DS BGM, I used MINI2SF to output WAV and edit to OGG, use original not faster speed.
And one more difference: I don't know what the happened on your sm64-desert.ogg loop...
For 1st, first I tried save 50% quality OGG, sounds OK but size is larger, so I tried save 25% quality OGG, sounds worse but decent, so I won't try more quality rate such as 30%.
For 2nd, yes, I know this, I hate MP3 too, because MP3 sucks, I usually output WAV from chiptunes or just use FLAC OST to edit OGG.
For 3rd, may be 25% is too low...
Oh, so use SPC covers to make SMBX plays more like SNES feeling, that's a good idea.
But for most SMBX player, especially from older version, they like original songs than these cover.
I remember someone said: "Is it necessary to use MIDI/SPC covers to reduce file size?"
Visit my YouTube channel Yave Yu!
Some I have ripped from MINIUSF, but some from FLAC OST as XM Player plugin I have used is crap (I probably need better emulator to play this chiptune correctly).
Probably it's a fault of XM Player plugin I have used to convert MINIUSF into WAV...
Chiptunes are very sensitive to lossy compressions, therefore is even better to support them natively than keeping PCM-dumps of them (for both filesize and quality). Therefore it's need to be careful on quality choosing, and it's even better to increase filesize than damage a quality.
People see smbx more as an inclusive game than a simple game of snes. The original songs are better suited to the variety offered by the game.
Who is online (over the past 5 minutes)
Users browsing this forum: 1 guest