Water/liquid box crash in Patch 2 of SMBX 1.4.4

Description: Report bugs of SMBX-38A here.
Forum rules: https://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1069
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

Bulletbill510 M
Topic author, Good citizen
Good citizen
Bulletbill510 M
Good citizen

Post #1by Bulletbill510 » 18 May 2017, 2:57

I was using SMBX 1.4.4 patch 2 and I was going to use a water box in one of my levels for swimming but the game crashes with Run-time error '9' Subscript out of range, I have some photos to show how this happened. So I don't really know if I am doing something wrong with the liquid boxes or is it really just a bug that hasn't been fixed yet.
Attachments
waterbug2.PNG
This is what happened when I made Mario enter the water/liquid box, it crashed.
waterbug1.PNG
This is how I set up the water box in my little testing level.
Feel free to visit my Youtube channel! Bulletbill510 :)

Drake
Citizen
Citizen
Drake
Citizen
Citizen

Post #2by Drake » 4 Jun 2017, 8:20

Hey, I have this bug too. I can give an additional information about this bug.

It triggers when there aren't any entities in the screen (or the game). For some reason, no matter if you start the level without any entities, or if you placed power-ups, coins nad/or enemies, after picking/killing them all and jump into the water, this crash happens.

Bulletbill510 M
Good citizen
Bulletbill510 M
Good citizen

Post #3by Bulletbill510 » 7 Jun 2017, 1:45

By entities, you mean enemies and power ups? I guess what you are trying to say is Enemies/power-ups NOT on screen = game crash, Enemies/power-ups on screen = no game crash?
Feel free to visit my Youtube channel! Bulletbill510 :)

Drake
Citizen
Citizen
Drake
Citizen
Citizen

Post #4by Drake » 8 Jul 2017, 2:58

Sorry for the delay. Yes, I mean any kind of enemies and power-ups on the screen, including coins, etc... And sorry if my explanation might be confusing, but you're right. Nothing on screen = crash, any entities (enemies and/or power-ups) on screen = no crash.

ELY_M M
Good citizen
Good citizen
ELY_M M
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #5by ELY_M » 1 Aug 2017, 13:58

yes, I can reproduce this water crash. good explain and bug reporting.

here is my level that will crash even with frog suit on.
Attachments
water-crash.lvl
(4.78 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

TanookiMan
Good citizen
Good citizen
TanookiMan
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #6by TanookiMan » 3 Aug 2017, 20:09

I got the same error when I jump into the water and press down.

TryLouBliss
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
TryLouBliss
Nice citizen
Nice citizen

Post #7by TryLouBliss » 10 Aug 2017, 0:12

This is a big problem for those who really want to make water levels in the game. Hopefully it's fixed in Patch 3, whenever it arrives.

Toshiie M
Good citizen
Good citizen
Toshiie M
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #8by Toshiie » 6 Nov 2017, 23:11

Yes, i got this too, i made a level before, and that never happened, i guess it was because the NPCs nearby the water. :bads:

My solution, while i wait for patch 3, is to add Toads on the level so, if they dont die, there will no way the game will crash!

EDIT: It only crashes when entering/leaving water, so doing an "Underwater" level wont crash smbx :)

MrStar
Passerby
Passerby
MrStar
Passerby
Passerby

Post #9by MrStar » 21 Dec 2017, 7:51

Toshiie wrote:Yes, i got this too, i made a level before, and that never happened, i guess it was because the NPCs nearby the water. :bads:

My solution, while i wait for patch 3, is to add Toads on the level so, if they dont die, there will no way the game will crash!

EDIT: It only crashes when entering/leaving water, so doing an "Underwater" level wont crash smbx :)

Okay, that is not true for me. I tried to do an "Underwater" level and it crashes as it initiates.

But thank you so much for the info about the NPCs, it does work and I have a new tip/trick:

- Create a new layer (I recommend it to do it at the beginning)
- Put toads or another NPC in that layer over all your level, in such way that you´ll always have an NPC on the screen.
- Hide that layer.

That´s it! Now you can play your level swimming as much as you want without being forced to add unnecessaries NPCs around your level...
Well, you are technically doing that, but they are hidden, so, it doesn´t count. It looks better and they don´t have any functionality in the level.
So, if you want to create a level with water and without any NPCs, you can do it.

RECAPITULATION OF THE INFO OF THIS PROBLEM:
Spoiler
PROBLEM: Touching water will cause the game to crash (With error 9)
INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT CAUSES IT:
CRASH:
+ Having NO NPC on screen and touching water... Will crash the game
+ Having NPC on screen but killing (or destroying) them all and touching the water... Will crash the game
SAFE:
+ Having at least 1 NPC on screen and touching the water... Will NOT crash the game
- Those NPC doesn't have to be in a visible layer. So, you can put them in any layer and hide it and you'll be able to swim in the water anyway.

PD: Thanks, everybody, I was looking for an answer to this problem and I did not find it anywhere but here. Now, my little brother is happy
because he can create levels without that limit. And he makes very cool levels, he does not have limits. XD

I hope it will be useful for you! Have a nice day! ;-)ote]

Return to “Bug reports”