G'day!

Description: New to wohlsoft.ru? Introduce yourself to the community here.
Moderators: Semi-moderatos, Moderators

johnno56 M
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
johnno56 M
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #1by johnno56 » 11 Nov 2019, 8:46

G'day from the land down under!

Just finished installing PGE and registering...

I am brand new to this Engine a will probably need as much help as you can throw at me....

I am not expecting immediate responses, as I live on the other side of the planet, and quite used to the delay... lol

J

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #2by Wohlstand » 11 Nov 2019, 10:24

Welcome! You wrote in 8:46 AM of my time zone :biggrin:
Yeah, there are people from different time zones and activity is oftenly at different time of day, except of cases when there are "owls" who don't sleep night :)

johnno56 M
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
johnno56 M
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #3by johnno56 » 11 Nov 2019, 22:06

Moscow. Cool. That's only an 8 hour difference... I'm used to getting responses from the UK or USA. I am not an "owl" but it's good to know that there will be a small window where both of us will be are awake at the same time.... lol

I have downloaded the "Standalone Manual" and slowly working my way through it. Wow. There's a LOT of stuff in there to learn... You know I'm going to be looking for tutorials and detailed documentation, right? lol I am particularly interested in "step-by-step" tutorials on making a game. That way I can go over it again and again. I learn best by repetition...

This is going to be fun!

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #4by Wohlstand » 12 Nov 2019, 0:27

Australia is also a cool and interesting place, first off because of a wide and diverse fauna, include lots of interesting and beautiful animals and birds, and also because of snakes who are plane passengeers, crocodiles at the street after rain instead of homeless dogs, green wavy parrots instead of sparrows and pigeons, coalas who are like to ride on the suspension behind the wheel in a van, and varans who coming into restaurant to order a food :biggrin:

P.S. I highly recomend you to get the stuff from the Laboratory as there are lots of work done for a one year after previous release. Manual isn't ideal and sometimes it contains lots of grammar mistakes due my poor English knowledge in 2014~2016 :crazy: Anyway, even while now I know English better than in a past, I still do lots of mistakes, and my most popular mistake is a missing article :)

Anyway, feel free ask me and others any interesting questions if you needed ;-)

Added after 17 hours 14 minutes:
P.S. If you want to use a signature, feel free ;-)
I made it blocked for new users to prevent a spam. Some bots who have figured out for a premoderation, posting their ads into signatures :comando:

johnno56 M
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
johnno56 M
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #5by johnno56 » 14 Nov 2019, 15:28

Australia is interesting at the moment. Two or three days back, where we live in Melbourne Victoria, it hailed during a rainstorm... Yet, in New South Wales and Queensland, they are experiencing severe bush fires. New South Wales has at least 300 separate bush fires more than 50 fires are out of control... Over 1,000 fire fighters are doing their best but it seems to be not enough... Here is a link to a satellite image... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-09/nsw-bushfire-emergency-satellite/11689626

It's been months since it last rained... The drought is not helping... Thankfully most people escaped. So far only a handful of people did not escape in time...

Sorry... It's quite depressing... Not exactly the kind of subject to be raised on a site like this one... But, for us, it's important that people know...

Ok. On a lighter note... You seem to have some unusual perceptions of our critters... Snakes on planes? I don't think so... Beside, chances are that they wouldn't get on board anyway... at least not without a ticket... lol Crocodiles. What can I say about them? Two types. Fresh and salt water crocs. Most of them are usually found up north where it's warmer... In most cases, crocs usually avoid areas where people are, but they have been known to "wander off track" a bit... As long as the kids and pets are kept inside when they do visit, they will eventually wander off... Koalas. We used to have millions of the fury little things... But, due to increasing population of people; pollution and poor weather patterns, we are now down to about 80,000. Difficult to relocate them as they will only feed on one particular type of Eucalyptus tree. They do not drink water. Their moisture is contained in the tree leaves that they eat...

Normally, when installing applications, I usually use the "official" versions. In some case, 'alpha and beta' versions, can tend to be a bit 'flakey'. But, I will do as you suggest, and visit the 'lab'.

Do you know of anyone who has attempted a 'step-by-step' tutorial for making a game?

It's almost 11:30pm and I had better get some sleep...

Have a great day!

J

Live long and prosper.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #6by Wohlstand » 18 Nov 2019, 0:40

johnno56 wrote:Two or three days back, where we live in Melbourne Victoria, it hailed during a rainstorm... Yet, in New South Wales and Queensland, they are experiencing severe bush fires. New South Wales has at least 300 separate bush fires more than 50 fires are out of control... Over 1,000 fire fighters are doing their best but it seems to be not enough... Here is a link to a satellite image... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-09/nsw-bushfire-emergency-satellite/11689626
Oh, looks serious... I hope these troulbes will go away faster... Recently Japan also had troubles with a typhoon which was one of most strongest (previously similar typhoon was in 1960s years I heard).

johnno56 wrote:Snakes on planes?
I have found a photo that some random python have flied on a wind of a plane:
Spoiler

johnno56 wrote:Koalas. We used to have millions of the fury little things... But, due to increasing population of people; pollution and poor weather patterns, we are now down to about 80,000. Difficult to relocate them as they will only feed on one particular type of Eucalyptus tree. They do not drink water. Their moisture is contained in the tree leaves that they eat...
I see, and yeah, Koalas should have

Here is about that Koala I mentioned: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-16/koala-stuck-behind-wheel-in-4wd/8952456

johnno56 wrote:Normally, when installing applications, I usually use the "official" versions. In some case, 'alpha and beta' versions, can tend to be a bit 'flakey'. But, I will do as you suggest, and visit the 'lab'.

Do you know of anyone who has attempted a 'step-by-step' tutorial for making a game?
Engine is not completed, therefore there aren't any attempts of game making, however, there are some config packs here where are implemented set of scripts (and some of them are incomplete or not made yet).
If you need a documentation to scripting engine, it's here: http://pgehelp.wohlsoft.ru/_tech/pge-lua/

In some moment I had attempt to make a super-simple minimalistoc config pack as a game sample, however, it was lost in some moment and I should re-make it again...

johnno56 M
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen
johnno56 M
Topic author, Citizen
Citizen

Post #7by johnno56 » 26 Nov 2019, 12:39

Snakes.... Well, obviously those little critters, didn't want to pay for a seat... lol

Koala... Not sure if it was "stuck". My guess is that it was getting out of the heat. The car moves away and... Koalas may be a bit on the slow side, when it comes to running away, but if it can't run then it will rely on it incredible "grip". I'm surprised that it survived the journey....

Hmm... Incomplete engine you say? That would explain the lack of tutorials... Are you aware of a completion date? If not, then I will continue to login and check...

I look forward to updates in the near future...

J

Live long and prosper.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #8by Wohlstand » 26 Nov 2019, 19:07

johnno56 wrote:Hmm... Incomplete engine you say? That would explain the lack of tutorials... Are you aware of a completion date? If not, then I will continue to login and check...

Here is no direct date of release, I dealing with my free time which I can't predict, but working in any time where I can. You can watch the repo https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project for any updates. My main problem is lack of free time because of my full-time job and a long distance between my home and workplace (I spending about ~1.5 hours to move between my home and work). However, I looking for any things which would help me to dedicate more free time for a work on my projects and speeding-up a development of PGE Engine / Moondust. BTW, everyone can join a development and help me to work faster.

Added after 6 minutes 28 seconds:
johnno56 wrote:Koala... Not sure if it was "stuck". My guess is that it was getting out of the heat. The car moves away and... Koalas may be a bit on the slow side, when it comes to running away, but if it can't run then it will rely on it incredible "grip". I'm surprised that it survived the journey....

I know that Koalas are sleeping while clinging to a tree, so, it's not a problem for them.

Return to “Introductions”