SMBX-38A - Discussion Thread and Downloads

Description: Subforum dedicated to SMBX-38A - a fan-made remake of the original SMBX Engine, made by 5438A38A.
Forum rules: This is official Europan/American community for the SMBX-38A. Suggested to don't post stuff for this engine outside this subforum.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #81by mariofan 64 » 25 Jan 2016, 9:14

ILikeWoods wrote:Something completly different: For the love of god, I need this xbox controller support for proper testing. This is just terrifying with the keyboard...
Please THIS before anything else ...
The keyboard thing should be the same as with SMBX, shouldn't it? (Still can't test, but I haven't downloaded this new version yet :/ ) Either way, Xbox controller support isn't the only controller support, after all. I use a PS4 controller, so instead of a plain Xbox control support, overall Joystick/Gamepad support is good enough as it's more universal and applies to just about anything with a number of buttons and/or a touchpad. :dance1:
Current Projects: (Infinite Mario Bros: 0.16%)
(Super-Project Completion: 0.001% Complete. pls don't ask about it)
Youtube Status: MIA

ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke

Post #82by ILikeWoods » 25 Jan 2016, 10:31

Unlike 1.3. I can not change the input device anymore, if this is more specific. It also looks like the keyboard itself has limited configuration options. Only the letters seem to be configurable. But I am not sure about the second one here, since as soon I changed to my xbox controller back then (with 1.3.) I never used the keyboard ingame anymore.
In 1.3. there is BTW a file called config.vcd, while 1.4. uses config.cfg instead. The structure of the files (checked with text editor) is completely different, seems to be a reprogramming.

Pilzinsel64
Count
Count
Pilzinsel64
Count
Count

Post #83by Pilzinsel64 » 25 Jan 2016, 17:34

Do you change the downloadlinks of...
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/Collected/Possible SMBX 1.4.1/
... every update?
Or you upload the updates to a another like? Can I have this link please?
Thanks!

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #84by Wohlstand » 25 Jan 2016, 17:52

Pilzinsel64 wrote:Do you change the downloadlinks of...
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/Collected/Possible SMBX 1.4.1/
... every update?
Or you upload the updates to a another like? Can I have this link please?
Thanks!
All updates I pushing to the same place and all links are up-to-date. Yes, feel free to share this link to your friends ;-)

R00Tic M
Citizen
Citizen
R00Tic M
Citizen
Citizen

Post #85by R00Tic » 26 Jan 2016, 17:20

I'm sure this has a lot of potential but the physics and some of the behavior of enemies and items are really inaccurate. Quite a shame but still really nice to see all these new things

Flo2912
Passerby
Passerby
Flo2912
Passerby
Passerby

Post #86by Flo2912 » 26 Jan 2016, 19:40

Hi there.
I'm new here and glad to meet you :)

I'm starting right with the reason I'm writing you^^
Some time ago I installed the original SMBX 1.3 engine, i didn't play it much but I can't remember any problems.
Because of Mario-Maker I came back to SMBX, because i was searching something similar, but with more possibilities and as legal option to romhacking, I found SMBX 1.4.1.
Now, I've a strange error I couldn't find anything about yet. I can normaly launch the game and levels play fine, but whenever I enter the Overworldmap, this Error appears and the Game crashes:
This also appears randomly on the editor. sometimes I can build half an hour on a level before it crashes, sometimes I don't even get to load the file cause it crashes right in start-up, allways showing this strange message. I've no Idea why that could happen, and I hope you can help me.
I'm runnung Windows 7 Home premium x64

Thanks in advance, guys :)
Attachments
crash.png

mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #87by mariofan 64 » 26 Jan 2016, 19:58

1.4.1 isn't a true update like 2.0 is. Also, judging by the error number, the creator must've realized that there was that many errors, so he slapped that big of a number on there so he wouldn't have to worry about anything about it until later.

Also, if it's random, then you might have to wait patiently for the next bugfix update and save very often so you don't lose your work.

Hmm, and about the automation error...For 1, it could be an animation error in the core programming caused by the creator, or 2, the room is being created in an abnormal way, and the program doesn't know what to do with this new method of starting up. (Dunno why I'd say that, but it does happen very very rarely to an imperfect program, though I wouldn't know any full details about it.)

ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke

Post #88by ILikeWoods » 26 Jan 2016, 20:01

R00Tic wrote:I'm sure this has a lot of potential but the physics and some of the behavior of enemies and items are really inaccurate. Quite a shame but still really nice to see all these new things
Since the developer of 1.4.1 is registered on this forum I guess he will try to fix reported bugs (depending on his time and urgency) at some point.

Pilzinsel64
Count
Count
Pilzinsel64
Count
Count

Post #89by Pilzinsel64 » 28 Jan 2016, 18:38

Wohlstand, please tell 38A, he might yet add a nsmbwii/nsmbu tileset to blocks and tiles. And he can add music and backgrounds. And he can add npc in nsmbwii/nsmbu stile.

ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke

Post #90by ILikeWoods » 29 Jan 2016, 1:18

Pilzinsel64 wrote:Wohlstand, please tell 38A, he might yet add a nsmbwii/nsmbu tileset to blocks and tiles. And he can add music and backgrounds. And he can add npc in nsmbwii/nsmbu stile.
"Translated" to "Allstars" style or just plain rips?

I once thought about a way to 'add' custom graphics slots (blocks or backgrounds), if the existing ones are not enough. Maybe something like 32 graphics in total, where the user can decide in which way he wants to use them. Might not make sense through ...

Anyway: The problem is, we do not even know, if he intends to add more features and stuff. Even if he will do so, there should be a structure, an arrangement. Otherwises it will end up quite annoying for him to 'search for work' and for us 'getting ignored'.

mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #91by mariofan 64 » 29 Jan 2016, 4:27

ILikeWoods wrote:
Pilzinsel64 wrote:Wohlstand, please tell 38A, he might yet add a nsmbwii/nsmbu tileset to blocks and tiles. And he can add music and backgrounds. And he can add npc in nsmbwii/nsmbu stile.
"Translated" to "Allstars" style or just plain rips?

I once thought about a way to 'add' custom graphics slots (blocks or backgrounds), if the existing ones are not enough. Maybe something like 32 graphics in total, where the user can decide in which way he wants to use them. Might not make sense through ...

Anyway: The problem is, we do not even know, if he intends to add more features and stuff. Even if he will do so, there should be a structure, an arrangement. Otherwises it will end up quite annoying for him to 'search for work' and for us 'getting ignored'.
Are you just saying that custom graphics should be limited? :o

And it might sound like Redigit if this guys leaves us and gets a c&d from Nintendo and he then goes and makes a sandbox game that's just as popular as minecraft/terraria and also for a Nintendo console. The ultimate conspiracy theory. (It's unlikely, though)

If he does take suggestions, he should fix the directx8 problem and upgrade that to at least a 9 or a 10, because 8 is hardly accepted and thus the program won't work for me still. So, until it's ok without having to 'copy files' and 'get directx8.dll from somewhere' and anything similar, I'll wait for the next update(s).

ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke

Post #92by ILikeWoods » 29 Jan 2016, 12:30

I can imagine there is some limit at some point where the engine might "collapse", at least I think so.

About limitation: In 1.3. I could not use several bigger background objects because of the lack of transparency (specially the SMW ghost house entry images), which is now possible. Of course an endless amount of objects would be kind of nice, but since I think the engine might "say" at one point "nope, not gonna load your map anymore, I gonna crash lol", it might be better to limit the custom graphics objects in terms of slots at one point: There is also not enough space in the "blocks and tiles" section, but maybe for an "custom" register.
If you look at Super Mario Maker we can count ourself lucky to be able to exchange block or bg graphics anyway. If you conserve your resources (max amount of blocks and background objects) well enough you should not have any big problems to archive the level you want to design. Normally Mario levels are supposed to repeat certain objects anyway, as a matter of design I think.

So to put it in a nutshell: We can NOW use ANY background objects with transparency which was not possible before.
The game engine has more than enough blocks to realize most of the levels we actually would like to design.
We can modify each graphics anyway, even for each level separately.
If you THEN have for example 32 additional graphics slots for blocks OR bg objects it should be more than enough for pretty much everything IMHO.
I think the programmer has to consider in advance what the engine can do before it collapses, therefore has to set hardcoded limits. Stress tests should guarantee that everything is working under hardest conditons and if you allow the user too much the engine might collapse at some point.

Of course this is what I think from my personal experience. This is not the first time I somehow "test" this kind of stuff. I already worked around 1,5 years as software tester in a company. There we also executed stress tests under these mentioned conditions.
Hey, or look at Sony and MS: I remember about reading an article, where it has been stated that an additonal core has been made available for games to use, which was locked before for the system only. I bet their stress tests resulted that they can "open" the additional core without worries of console problems at some point. No matter where you look, you always have some kind of limits.

And it might sound like Redigit if this guys leaves us and gets a c&d from Nintendo and he then goes and makes a sandbox game that's just as popular as minecraft/terraria and also for a Nintendo console. The ultimate conspiracy theory. (It's unlikely, though)

If he does take suggestions, he should fix the directx8 problem and upgrade that to at least a 9 or a 10, because 8 is hardly accepted and thus the program won't work for me still. So, until it's ok without having to 'copy files' and 'get directx8.dll from somewhere' and anything similar, I'll wait for the next update(s).
This is not directed to me, isn`t it?
But yes, I forgot about the c&d ... might happen again with 1.4.1. Well, sh1it happens then I guess. At least we have something right now to play with.
Can not say anything about the direct x thingy, I still have Windows 7 ...

mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #93by mariofan 64 » 29 Jan 2016, 21:03

ILikeWoods wrote:

This is not directed to me, isn`t it?
But yes, I forgot about the c&d ... might happen again with 1.4.1. Well, sh1it happens then I guess. At least we have something right now to play with.
Can not say anything about the direct x thingy, I still have Windows 7 ...
1: It's not directed at you, more at the 1.4.1 creator. Sorry if you mistook it and that I didn't put much info into it. :/

2: Win7 might still have directx8 installed by default, so it's only natural that you don't see a problem regarding it.

ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke

Post #94by ILikeWoods » 30 Jan 2016, 1:14

Everything alright, fellow, no big deal! ^^

During testing I figured something which is just not right:

The behaviour of the P-Switch has been changed in relation to brick blocks with content. If you put a coin or a powerup inside a brick block the P-Switch will turn them into coins as like as empty brick blocks. No idea why this has been changed in the first place, it does not make any sense and is totally wrong. It even might kill 1.3 designed levels in some way.

Pilzinsel64
Count
Count
Pilzinsel64
Count
Count

Post #95by Pilzinsel64 » 30 Jan 2016, 15:55

Where is the download button on 38A's site?
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4011405806

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #96by Wohlstand » 30 Jan 2016, 16:10

Pilzinsel64 wrote:Where is the download button on 38A's site?
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4011405806
He was put a link to his pan-baidu where you can find his assembly.
However, you can download it here faster: http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/Collected/Possible SMBX 1.4.1/
(here I packed musics and sounds with better quality and readme for case if SMBX doesn't works on your machine)

Tinkerbell F
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
Tinkerbell F
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #97by Tinkerbell » 30 Jan 2016, 22:54

mariofan 64 wrote:And it might sound like Redigit if this guys leaves us and gets a c&d from Nintendo and he then goes and makes a sandbox game that's just as popular as minecraft/terraria and also for a Nintendo console. The ultimate conspiracy theory. (It's unlikely, though)

Nintendo can't really do much aslong he doesn't make people buy his game or anything that would give it a c&d.

What redigit did wrong was that he used copyright stuff and ads to get money through it.

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #98by tb1024 » 31 Jan 2016, 5:16

Tinkerbell wrote:
mariofan 64 wrote:And it might sound like Redigit if this guys leaves us and gets a c&d from Nintendo and he then goes and makes a sandbox game that's just as popular as minecraft/terraria and also for a Nintendo console. The ultimate conspiracy theory. (It's unlikely, though)

Nintendo can't really do much aslong he doesn't make people buy his game or anything that would give it a c&d.

What redigit did wrong was that he used copyright stuff and ads to get money through it.
That's not problem, both in law and in practice.

Nintendo does not want people playing with their IPs. They're C&D many fan-made content even when profit is 0, especially fangames.
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Tinkerbell F
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
Tinkerbell F
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #99by Tinkerbell » 31 Jan 2016, 15:34

So then answer these questions:

Why is SMWCentral still alive even tho they also use mario content?
Why is RVLution still alive even after they made a fanmade sequel to the NSMB series using mario stuff?
Why aren't so many fangames been taken down by nintendo even tho they make no 0 profit?

Nintendo doesn't randomly do that C&D for no reason. They always have a good one. Also oc Nintendo wants profit from lp, they even give some people the games on early access to show them to their subscribers and both parts take profit nintendo and lp.

Nintendo isn't that heartless to give a C&D so quickly. You never really know what the creator of the fangame actually did what nobody knew. And if Nintendo finds out you do stuff with their stuff what they don't want you to do, they have all rights for it.

Lx Xzit M
Lx Xzit M
Website

Post #100by Lx Xzit » 3 Feb 2016, 22:54

Wohlstand wrote:Pilzinsel64, Everyday when he doung some fixes, he uploads updates to his pan-baidu cloud disk, and he notifying me about this update, then I reuploading that to public archives.

Yesterday he sent update which I have been re-uploaded:
- Fixed bug causes accidental damages of some SMBX64-based levels with decimal layer-motions (it automatically converts all SMBX1..64 levels into SMBX65-38A, but here was a bug which gave a crashing result. Bug appeared on my machine where decimal comma is standard).
- MSCOMCTL.OCX no more needed, it was been removed from archive
- GdiPlus.dll has been removed, because it no more required too. Instead of it FreeImage has been used

Excuse me but where I can get this update? I think the links are outdated since the Region bugfix (I'm not completely sure).
And this page doesn't work for me
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT
Join our 38A Discord server!

Return to “Super Mario Bros. X by 38A (SMBX-38A)”