SMBX-38A - Discussion Thread and Downloads

Description: Subforum dedicated to SMBX-38A - a fan-made remake of the original SMBX Engine, made by 5438A38A.
Forum rules: This is official Europan/American community for the SMBX-38A. Suggested to don't post stuff for this engine outside this subforum.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

Lx Xzit M
Lx Xzit M
Website

Post #61by Lx Xzit » 24 Dec 2015, 4:45

Well, I just wanted to say I made a video tutorial (1 month later...) about how get run SMBX 1.4.1, I leave it here because I think it could be useful. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9scDIdK6LU
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT
Join our 38A Discord server!

Catskart M
Count
Count
Catskart M
Count
Count

Post #62by Catskart » 24 Dec 2015, 19:10

Nice video, but you should add the little file smbx.bat because I don't sur that people are agree for change region manually everytime.

With SMBX 1.4.1, I Remake the HUD with variables, scripts, events and a lot of layers. (I use 122 layers.)

I should change the font of number.
But My main problem is the Itembox, there isn't his value in the script help, and I don't know how find it in String or double type.
Last edited by Catskart on 24 Dec 2015, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #63by mariofan 64 » 24 Dec 2015, 19:31

Catskart wrote:Nice video, but you should add the little file smbx.bat because I don't sur that people are agree for change region manually everytime.

With SMBX 1.4.1, I Remake the HUD with variables, scripts, events and a lot of layers. (I needed 122 layers.)

I should change the font of number.
But My main problem is the Itembox, there isn't his value in the script help, and I don't know how find it in String or double type.
Woah. Just. Woah. Awesome.
I hope PGE can do this, along with interacting variables across levels and worlds. Also, I'm reading 122 layers. 1 2 2. There's 3 numbers, which means for certain that this is not the same SMBX as 2.0 or 1.3, which is saying a lot.
Current Projects: (Infinite Mario Bros: 0.16%)
(Super-Project Completion: 0.001% Complete. pls don't ask about it)
Youtube Status: MIA

Lx Xzit M
Lx Xzit M
Website

Post #64by Lx Xzit » 25 Dec 2015, 23:36

Catskart wrote:Nice video, but you should add the little file smbx.bat because I don't sur that people are agree for change region manually everytime.
Thanks, and yeah I did, on my "re-repacked" version I included your bat file (even I included some instructions) so don't worry!

Your hud looks interesting, in fact, you're the first person I see experimenting with scripts in this version. I really don't like the giant numbers but I think it's a big deal being this an experiment. Good job!

Mushroom King
Marquis
Marquis
Mushroom King
Marquis
Marquis

Post #65by Mushroom King » 31 Dec 2015, 17:32

Anyone here having problems with "pause" in game? I use a joypad, and when I press "start" it does nothing, whatever the button I assign the fonction. It's impossible to save too so if I quit the game, my progress are lost.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #66by Wohlstand » 20 Jan 2016, 17:39

Small News!

5438A38A has finally fixed a bug which required you to set up Chinese language on your PC in order to play SMBX 1.4.1. Now that the bug-fix just came out, SMBX 1.4.1 no longer requires you to change your PC's settings - now it works fine on Europan and American computers!

All downloads have been updated.

Download fixed SMBX 1.4.1 here: http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/Collected/Possible SMBX 1.4.1/
Download only patch (download this if you already have SMBX 1.4.1, and just replace old files with these): http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/Collected/Possible SMBX 1.4.1/fixed smbx 1.4.1.7z

Good luck and have fun! :cool:

P.S. It also finally works fine under Wine!

Lx Xzit M
Lx Xzit M
Website

Post #67by Lx Xzit » 20 Jan 2016, 22:25

Great! I recently realized with the new patch we can play in Full Screen mode normally and I can see some other small changes

hacheipe399 M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
hacheipe399 M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #68by hacheipe399 » 21 Jan 2016, 0:26

That's nice! Did 5438A38A say something about make it open source?
I listen to energic music:
All kinds of metal.
Electronic music: Hard House, Hardstyle, Hardcore, Frenchcore, Terrorcore and anything that with ends in -core.
Best track of 2018: Cryogenic - Mot3rf$ck3r (wear earprotection when listenting to this).

I hope to be a major contributor of PGE when I'm more advanced in my engineering.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #69by Wohlstand » 21 Jan 2016, 3:13

hacheipe399 wrote:That's nice! Did 5438A38A say something about make it open source?
He told that he can't open it's source because it has lots of secret parts which will make it unbuildable on remove. However he agree for cooperate: he already sent me his file specifications which I will implement at PGE side to provide support of those formats, and I made a VB6 Wrapper for my SDL2 Mixer Ext to allow him use it in SMBX 1.4.1.
Thinks about SDL Mixer Ext
unlike FMOD, SDL2_mixer_ext (fork of SDL2_mixer) is open source, supports much more audio formats. Even while a con causes a non-44100hz shit, anyway, I going to fix it with libsoxr and even also, good news from SDL team: there are ready to release a resampling fix, so, I will take update from their repo and will rebuild stufff to finally resolve this trouble.

Anyway, I think, need a time to let him remove secret parts from source to release sources for public access.

Alucard
Our friend
Our friend
Alucard
Our friend
Our friend

Post #70by Alucard » 21 Jan 2016, 17:51

Just got a taste of this 1.4.1 gem. Gotta love that auto-paint feature!
Spoiler
Can you do something like this from scratch in 240 seconds?
Hoping to see something like this feature in PGE editor. Complete with customizable auto-paint tables.

h2643 M
Topic author, Contributor
Contributor
h2643 M
Topic author, Contributor
Contributor
Website YouTube

Post #71by h2643 » 21 Jan 2016, 19:15

Alucard wrote:Just got a taste of this 1.4.1 gem. Gotta love that auto-paint feature!
Oh, it's one of those "Mario Maker" functions :)
<Knux> h2643 the super computer

mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
mariofan 64
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #72by mariofan 64 » 21 Jan 2016, 19:50

Alucard wrote:Just got a taste of this 1.4.1 gem. Gotta love that auto-paint feature!
Spoiler
Can you do something like this from scratch in 240 seconds?
Hoping to see something like this feature in PGE editor. Complete with customizable auto-paint tables.
Looks incomplete, like the tilesets aren't fully designed, especially the wood. While this presents lots of design opportunities, if it can't be turned off, then what's the point of 1.4.1 at all if it's just becoming another mario maker? :/
Current Projects: (Infinite Mario Bros: 0.16%)
(Super-Project Completion: 0.001% Complete. pls don't ask about it)
Youtube Status: MIA

DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend
DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #73by DeuxEx » 21 Jan 2016, 22:16

good news!I hope for more improvements!
Last edited by DeuxEx on 22 Jan 2016, 0:39, edited 1 time in total.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #74by Wohlstand » 21 Jan 2016, 22:57

Another small update which came to me today at morning!
By my request, has been implemented support of command line arguments (ability to launch episode or level!)

Documentation has been added into readme and into the Wiki page:
http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Super_Mario_Bros._X_by_38A#Command_line_syntax_.28since_January_21.2C_2016.29

All links (include quick patch) are been updated!

FanofSMBX
Contributor
Contributor
FanofSMBX
Contributor
Contributor

Post #75by FanofSMBX » 23 Jan 2016, 1:28

Cool! Now I have 2 questions of new verson.

1. Did he fix some of bugs I listed for you? (They are the ones you listed on the wiki)

2. Is it known what the hidden minigames found in code unlock (The Math Game and Sokoban Game)? If not, could you please ask him?

Pilzinsel64
Count
Count
Pilzinsel64
Count
Count

More Updates?

Post #76by Pilzinsel64 » 24 Jan 2016, 11:38

Wholstand, whats about more updates of SMBX?
Do you know something of 5438A38A?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #77by Wohlstand » 24 Jan 2016, 11:46

Pilzinsel64, Everyday when he doung some fixes, he uploads updates to his pan-baidu cloud disk, and he notifying me about this update, then I reuploading that to public archives.

Yesterday he sent update which I have been re-uploaded:
- Fixed bug causes accidental damages of some SMBX64-based levels with decimal layer-motions (it automatically converts all SMBX1..64 levels into SMBX65-38A, but here was a bug which gave a crashing result. Bug appeared on my machine where decimal comma is standard).
- MSCOMCTL.OCX no more needed, it was been removed from archive
- GdiPlus.dll has been removed, because it no more required too. Instead of it FreeImage has been used

ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke

Post #78by ILikeWoods » 24 Jan 2016, 14:31

Uhm, hello, I guess?

Found SMBX 1.3. I guess around 2 years ago, just recently I learned about 1.4. when I found a youtube video of a level called "Super Mario 2D World" and was quite surprised about the Mega Mushroom.
Also tested around a little bit with PGE which has a really well-conceived interface and function functionality (meaning: how to find your way within the program without too much trail and error or the possibility to make use of knowledge of actually other programs... I hope you`ll get what I try to say)

By further researches about more information about SMBx 1.4.1. I found this place somehow, when 1.4.1 was still rather a newborn baby on the internet.

To make a long story short: Can this thread be used for bug reports, requests and stuff like that or do the officials prefer to use them on their own only? I don`t know the 'local conditions' yet, through I know however this chinese guy is responsible for the new SMBX version.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #79by Wohlstand » 24 Jan 2016, 15:25

ILikeWoods, hello ;-)

ILikeWoods wrote:Can this thread be used for bug reports, requests and stuff like that or do the officials prefer to use them on their own only? I don`t know the 'local conditions' yet, through I know however this chinese guy is responsible for the new SMBX version.

I think, yes, until I will make a "SMBX 1.4.1 Troubleshooting" section especially for collecting of bugs which I will report to 38A, or I think, I would invite him to here if he agree that, if no - I will report him any known bugs ;-)

ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke
ILikeWoods
Duke
Duke

Post #80by ILikeWoods » 24 Jan 2016, 16:06

Thanks, feel free to ignore what is known, won`t or can not be fixed or included as feature (well I know you might only tell him in my place I assume^^)

1.1. Mega Mushroom: Effect still active with paused screen
The effect of the Mega Mushroom does NOT get paused if the player pauses the game (via ESC), it seems to work correctly for the Starman however.
This can be easily tested if a M.M. gets collected and with immediate pausing of the game. Wait long enough to see the player shrinking to normal size again during the paused game. Again: Can not be tested from the editor.

1.2. NPC-300: Block-Smashed Sound when block broken?
If you "block" a npc ("via npc-300") the item won`t emit the "Block Smashed" sound, when it breaks. There also seems no Event where you could catch this event to link e.g. a sound of "Block Smashed" manually.
At least I did not find anything. Maybe both the sound could be added to emit ingame and a proper special event? First I thought it was the "Active Event"....

Feature requests/suggestions:
2.1 Mini-Mario only for warp pipes?
At least for warp pipes there should be a checkbox like "Mini-Form only". Not sure about doors through. Would mean, only with the effect of a mini mushroom you could enter the warp pipe. Pretty much as like as I would expect to see it in NSMB DS.

2.2. Reserve item not droppable in certain sections for gameplay improvements?
Within the bonus areas of NSMB you can not drop the reserve item, it is marked as 'grey' on the screen. If the player enters as Mini-Mario a bonus room, it could turn out quite glitchy if he would turn back from the mini form ... therefore it is generally blocked in bonus rooms.

2.3. What can be done with the Starcoins so far?
What can be done with the Starcoins? Somehow nothing at the moment, as it seems. On the world map it would be cool if you could see which starcoins got collected in which level or rather which ones are missing.
Maybe it could be also done with the "mario 64 stars": Use them to open doors, ways or whole levels.

That`s it for the moment. Everything else with a new post...

Added after 5 hours 52 minutes:
Something completly different: For the love of god, I need this xbox controller support for proper testing. This is just terrifying with the keyboard...
Please THIS before anything else ...

Return to “Super Mario Bros. X by 38A (SMBX-38A)”