SMBX-38A - Discussion Thread and Downloads

Description: Subforum dedicated to SMBX-38A - a fan-made remake of the original SMBX Engine, made by 5438A38A.
Forum rules: This is official Europan/American community for the SMBX-38A. Suggested to don't post stuff for this engine outside this subforum.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Moderators, Semi-moderatos

FanofSMBX
Contributor
Contributor
FanofSMBX
Contributor
Contributor

Post #181by FanofSMBX » 12 Nov 2016, 0:25

Yea, I think that SMBX 1.4.x should be made open source. Why? Because the developer is very busy, and it would be tiresome for him to hassle for suggestions and bugfixes, so I think that it would be better to let community edit the game when they find an issue or request, instead of have to wait for 53A's busy schedule. What do you think, @5438A38A and other users?

Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend
Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend

Post #182by Shadowblitz16 » 12 Nov 2016, 6:28

I support this even though I would not be doing any coding.
I think SMBX 1.4 scripting language should be overhauled to be made easier to use.
right now it feels at ASM level and I think it should be a very high level scripting language for user appeal

Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount
Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #183by Erwill » 12 Nov 2016, 9:53

Shadowblitz16 wrote:I think SMBX 1.4 scripting language should be overhauled to be made easier to use.
l

TeaScript is already easy to use, all commands and values are in the scripting help file, just follow the instruction.
If you say that teascript is hard without try, it doesn't work. :p

Alvespires M
Count
Count
Alvespires M
Count
Count

Post #184by Alvespires » 12 Nov 2016, 13:24

Yeah.It's very easy...BUT I haven't learned using the help,I did not learn using it.as people help me on forum I find the logic and learn.You should do that
Not really up to it.

Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend
Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend

Post #185by Shadowblitz16 » 13 Nov 2016, 5:59

Catskart wrote:
Shadowblitz16 wrote:I think SMBX 1.4 scripting language should be overhauled to be made easier to use.
l

TeaScript is already easy to use, all commands and values are in the scripting help file, just follow the instruction.
If you say that teascript is hard without try, it doesn't work. :p

what do you mean its easy?
-you can't make variables in script or even functions
-you have to flood your SMBX with variables and events which could be handled in script
-you have to use unnecessary functions like val() or gval() when you could just use val() for SMBX defined variables
-you have to do and complete stupid mini games just to get things like arrays and loops
-no code folding or shortcut variables
-variable names are shortened so they are even harder to know what they are for

like i said it could be made much easier and user friendly

Alvespires wrote:Yeah.It's very easy...BUT I haven't learned using the help,I did not learn using it.as people help me on forum I find the logic and learn.You should do that

I have tried to get help but it seems nobody cares to help a me understand how the language works
I have looked at other peoples creations and the code for it looks awful and unreadable and could be cleaned up a ton with functions

Alvespires M
Count
Count
Alvespires M
Count
Count

Post #186by Alvespires » 13 Nov 2016, 14:22

Shadowblitz16 wrote:variable names are shortened so they are even harder to know what they are for

You can name your variable the way you want

Shadowblitz16 wrote:-you have to use unnecessary functions like val() or gval() when you could just use val() for SMBX defined variables

If I remember well,val are for local ones and gval for global ones.

Shadowblitz16 wrote:-you can't make variables in script or even functions

What?Did not understand.As I know,you're trying to say that you can't create variables on scripts?Really not,but there's a specific option to create them.

Shadowblitz16 wrote:-you have to flood your SMBX with variables and events which could be handled in script

Uh...Scripts SOMETIMES call events if their condiction is retorned as true,but there's a lot of things that you can do only in scripts as well.

Shadowblitz16 wrote:-you have to do and complete stupid mini games just to get things like arrays and loops

Eck.I agree with this one.

Shadowblitz16 wrote:I have tried to get help but it seems nobody cares to help a me understand how the language works
I have looked at other peoples creations and the code for it looks awful and unreadable and could be cleaned up a ton with functions

Well...Do you know how to use basic math AND variables?If yes,maybe I can teach you...But really don't have time now,and it's hard to explain.Oh.I must go NOW!I'm just sending this message
Not really up to it.

Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount
Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #187by Erwill » 13 Nov 2016, 16:42

Shadowblitz16 wrote:what do you mean its easy?

Because before TeaScript I never programmed before, and see what I make, I begin TeaScript a little less one year ago, all synthaxs is in the script help, you see that the commands are made for SMBX.

Shadowblitz16 wrote:-you can't make variables in script or even functions

You can create variable in a level, there isn't a problem.
Oh, and you can create your own Custom Functions and Procedures. (See part 5.c of script help)

Shadowblitz16 wrote:-you have to flood your SMBX with variables and events which could be handled in script

I don't know what do you mean.

Shadowblitz16 wrote:-you have to use unnecessary functions like val() or gval() when you could just use val() for SMBX defined variables

I see you can't see the difference enter val and gval.
Gval is global value for your game.
val is local value for your level.

Shadowblitz16 wrote:-you have to do and complete stupid mini games just to get things like arrays and loops

Eh, it nothing to does with TeaScript, even if I think that those minigames are annoying, they unlocks nothing about TeaScript.

Shadowblitz16 wrote:-no code folding or shortcut variables
You can skip a line or place some spaces before some lignes.

Shadowblitz16 wrote:-variable names are shortened so they are even harder to know what they are for

I don't understand, can you give me examples ?

Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend
Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend

Post #188by Shadowblitz16 » 13 Nov 2016, 23:55

@Catskart @Alvespires

when I say you can't create variables in script I mean you can't do something like "myvariable = 5;" and then read from it inside the actual script. you have to use the SMBX variable window instead and that makes scripts less portable

the same goes with events you can't actually test if a event is happening inside a script. instead you have to attach the script to a event.

as for variable flooding I meant having to create a bunch of variable in the variable window instead of creating them in script

as for code folding this is a minor thing that would help a lot but short cut variables and functions would be very nice for someone that doesn't want to code in something from scratch.
for example short cut variable knockback could be there if someone whats to apply knockback to the player or npc instead of having to code everything in

and when I say variable names are shortened I mean like build in ones like gval() for example it could be globalval() or global() so people actually know what it does

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #189by Yoshi021 » 15 Jan 2017, 22:12

I have something neat to present. Wohlstand made a cooluserbar, and I made it so it can link you to the discord chat.

Code: Select all

[url=https://discord.gg/8hHCdcs][img]http://wohlsoft.ru/images/userbars/SMBX38A_Userbar.png[/img][/url]

Links
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!" :pardon:

MACKACHE
Lord
Lord
MACKACHE
Lord
Lord
Website Twitter

Post #190by MACKACHE » 28 Jan 2017, 14:10

Sorry for the bump. I have a question for SMBX 38A 1.4.1.

Do you need to/download a chinese language for your PC to make 1.4.1 able to run ?
ImageImage

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #191by Yoshi021 » 28 Jan 2017, 22:03

RSupertheGreat wrote:Sorry for the bump. I have a question for SMBX 38A 1.4.1.

Do you need to/download a chinese language for your PC to make 1.4.1 able to run ?
If you're using Windows, go to control pab\nel and change your computer language to simplified Chinese. You also have to place some .dlls.
Links
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!" :pardon:

h2643 M
Topic author, Forum admin
Forum admin
h2643 M
Topic author, Forum admin
Forum admin
YouTube

Post #192by h2643 » 24 Feb 2017, 22:11

Man is this thread outdated... Gonna fix this.
<Knux> h2643 the super computer

the GaMERDoG M
Viscount
Viscount
the GaMERDoG M
Viscount
Viscount
Website

Post #193by the GaMERDoG » 23 May 2018, 15:49

Sorry to bump, but SMBX Universe is down.
* (Taking off when the russians become isolated from outer internet.)

ImageImageImage

Check out my Artwork Train!

Emoji wars: Team Doghouse
skpr ( :tux: 1)/elempow=linux/atktype=rang+mel/5df/5at/5sp/arm=none/wep=orders/maxhp=100
kowalski ( :tux: 2)/elempow=linux/atktype=rang+mel/5df/3at/5sp/arm=none/wep=brain/maxhp=100
rico ( :tux: 3)/elempow=linux/atktype=rang+mel/7df/7at/5sp/arm=none/wep=mouth/maxhp=100
pvt ( :tux: 4)/elempow=linux/atktype=rang+mel/3df/1at/5sp/arm=none/wep=cuteness/maxhp=100
lighthouse64 ( :warning: )/elempow=sound/atktype=ranged/5df/8at/7sp/arm=none/wep=mic/maxhp=100

Zack
Citizen
Citizen
Zack
Citizen
Citizen

Post #194by Zack » 9 Aug 2018, 18:51

the GaMERDoG wrote:Sorry to bump, but SMBX Universe is down.
Oh no.
Well, Hello Again [b]Ready for a Round 2?[/b] :gamer:

donVergas
Good citizen
Good citizen
donVergas
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #195by donVergas » 6 Jul 2019, 1:58

I am loving the new update
-----------------------------------------------------------
:dance1:

Dato24
Passerby
Passerby
Dato24
Passerby
Passerby

Post #196by Dato24 » 22 Feb 2021, 20:22

Does anyone have that video? Because on YouTube now it's private
~~~ :tux: ~~~

Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount
Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #197by Erwill » 14 Jan 2022, 23:59

I made a script that tests the performance of your PC (About "How many NPCs your PC can handle with 65 fps" by measuring the number of fps against the amount of NPCs on the screen (the data on the left is the FPS and the data on the bottom is the amount of NPCs)

Return to “Super Mario Bros. X by 38A (SMBX-38A)”