SMBX-38A 1.4.5 Decompilation

Description: Subforum dedicated to SMBX-38A - a fan-made remake of the original SMBX Engine, made by 5438A38A.
Forum rules: This is official Europan/American community for the SMBX-38A. Suggested to don't post stuff for this engine outside this subforum.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Moderators, Semi-moderatos

Void
Topic author, Bat
Bat
Void
Topic author, Bat
Bat

Post #1by Void » 24 Dec 2021, 1:56

I believe it is somewhat obvious 38a has had no plans on returning to make another update for the engine. During that time, thanks to the efforts of Core, she has found a way to create a decompilation of the SMBX-38A 1.4.5 executable. Members in the 38a Discord server have been aware of the decompilation for a few months now, and I believe that it is safe now to post it here, considering it is rather obvious 38a is not coming back and most definitely will not be giving anybody the source code.

So without further ado, the decomp can be found here.

Do note that this is not the source code, and that a decompilation is not the same as source code, however, I do believe the decompilation could be of use to anybody interested in wanting to potentially remove the anti-cheat measures and enable hidden functions. I unfortunately cannot be much help in doing either of these, as I do not even remotely have the technical knowledge to do such a thing.

This'll be the closest we'll ever get to the source code, and I do hope that the decomp can be of use to some people. I want to thank Core again for going through the effort of creating a decomp of the game, and I would like to apologize for not posting about the decomp here sooner.
Last edited by Lx Xzit on 20 Sep 2023, 2:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no longer relevant or useful
Join the SMBX 38a Discord Server!

sweep a leaf sweep away a troubles

Chanceux2 M
Our friend
Our friend
Chanceux2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #2by Chanceux2 » 24 Dec 2021, 3:54

This thread needs to be sticked. This is the only way we can get SOOOO close to the source code and finally polish up the game.

Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount
Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #3by Erwill » 24 Dec 2021, 8:41

I'm sure 38A will come from nowhere by magic and rants by saying the project will be postponed or something.

It's very nice, has anyone ever made an edited version of the exe?
Are there more hidden functions than the exe compilation?

I hope we will be able to more understand the decompiled code.

Void
Topic author, Bat
Bat
Void
Topic author, Bat
Bat

Post #4by Void » 24 Dec 2021, 22:41

Erwill wrote:I'm sure 38A will come from nowhere by magic and rants by saying the project will be postponed or something.

It's very nice, has anyone ever made an edited version of the exe?
Are there more hidden functions than the exe compilation?

I hope we will be able to more understand the decompiled code.
i wouldn't be surprised if that actually did happen, and yet he wouldn't be able to do anything about it

There currently is not an edited version of the exe yet, however if somebody were to try to modify it, I would suggest finding a way to disable the anti-cheating/hacking measures that cause the editor to close when activated first before changing anything else.

As for hidden functions, using cheat engine to look at strings related to TeaScript, the shader related functions for TeaScript actually did show up. Either this is a leftover from 1.4.4 or there is also a way to enable those functions. More info on that here. Strings related to stuff like custom fonts also appeared in the language configuration of the editor if you open it up after opening various other windows in the editor prior.
Last edited by Void on 6 Jan 2022, 3:42, edited 1 time in total.
Join the SMBX 38a Discord Server!

sweep a leaf sweep away a troubles

NESTED ERNEST M
Count
Count
NESTED ERNEST M
Count
Count
Youtube channel URL

Post #5by NESTED ERNEST » 30 Dec 2021, 23:56

I say that you do more harm(than good) by publishing it here, like when Lx Xzit published the haxagon.

You act like kevSoft: you "feel" you have the responsibility to hack if the creator is inactive for 1 or 2 years, as a kind of threat that if you don't work you'll see.
Programming NPCs in SMBX-38A is fun:
That is me
Special image
  • yt-image-banner: https://yt3.ggpht.com/M_O1AzQEOJogSq5OJESIaA5kFLdbwdDNMihDOJkJgPiH7cOx-LWK41TU9GWzExmkmpn3EWYbJg=w1060-fcrop64=1,00005a57ffffa5a8-k-c0xffffffff-no-nd-rj
  • image-to-up: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Y-LrpIS2rqw/UCBTtk7k-pI/AAAAAAAABBs/qZuI0sCStkc/s1600/jean-baptiste+beaudelle+girafe++escargot.jpg
  • image-to-left: https://us.123rf.com/450wm/trassnick/trassnick2007/trassnick200700002/152919781-el-marl%C3%ADn-negro-grande-salta-del-mar-pesca-extrema-del-pez-espada-negro-en-alta-mar-vacaciones-en-lo.jpg
  • image-last-w: 1

ROCKMAN GIF IN SMBX 38A

Neito
Our friend
Our friend
Neito
Our friend
Our friend

Post #6by Neito » 8 Jan 2022, 22:14

This means that someone might finally make 1.5 a reality
I think this should be called 1.5.0 and not just 1.4.6

Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount
Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #7by Erwill » 9 Jan 2022, 1:56

Neito wrote:This means that someone might finally make 1.5 a reality
I think this should be called 1.5.0 and not just 1.4.6

Not sure, don't forget this isn't the source code.

Neito
Our friend
Our friend
Neito
Our friend
Our friend

Post #8by Neito » 12 Jan 2022, 14:06

Yes I understand that this is not the same as source code but I think it should be real
I could still be possible to put in lost of new things like enemies from the Seiken Densetsu series, Charging chucks, more tiles, tilesets from kirby's adventure, and some stuff from kitiku mario. Plus a leveling system.

Added after 2 minutes 59 seconds:
And more power ups too
Such as the cape feather and Boomerang Suit

Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount
Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #9by Erwill » 13 Jan 2022, 9:22

By the way, I'm wonder if someone has tried to change something and recompiled it for testing purpose.

Neito
Our friend
Our friend
Neito
Our friend
Our friend

Post #10by Neito » 30 Jan 2022, 15:11

Erwill wrote:By the way, I'm wonder if someone has tried to change something and recompiled it for testing purpose.
How are we supposed to know?

Added after 20 minutes 36 seconds:
Think of the possibilities we could add a crouching sprite for small mario, finish the seesaw implimentation and add new things including stuff that is already in SMBX2 Beta 4.

Bandit
Our friend
Our friend
Bandit
Our friend
Our friend

Post #11by Bandit » 1 Feb 2022, 7:45

Neito wrote:
Erwill wrote:By the way, I'm wonder if someone has tried to change something and recompiled it for testing purpose.

Think of the possibilities we could add a crouching sprite for small mario, finish the seesaw implimentation and add new things including stuff that is already in SMBX2 Beta 4.
if 38a doesn't return, I think it would be a good idea to merge smbx 1.4 with 2.0 (in case someone can modify smbx 1.4). 38a had been asked to work together and she didn't want to.

Neito
Our friend
Our friend
Neito
Our friend
Our friend

Post #12by Neito » 1 Feb 2022, 14:55

Bandit wrote:
Neito wrote:

if 38a doesn't return, I think it would be a good idea to merge smbx 1.4 with 2.0 (in case someone can modify smbx 1.4). 38a had been asked to work together and she didn't want to.
If that does happen then we won't need to put in the chargin' chucks ourselves anymore.

Added after 1 minute 7 seconds:
Bandit wrote:
Neito wrote:

Let's call this SMBX3

Chanceux2 M
Our friend
Our friend
Chanceux2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #13by Chanceux2 » 4 Feb 2022, 15:49

Bandit wrote:
Neito wrote:

You can't merge 38a with smbx2. Don't forget that smbx2 is based on the source code while smbx38a is rewritten completely. Plus, the way smbx2 npcs act won't feel right with smbx38a since the physics are different.

Neito
Our friend
Our friend
Neito
Our friend
Our friend

Post #14by Neito » 4 Feb 2022, 18:07

Maybe we could add lua support to 38A I know for a fact that both 38A and 1.3 are written in VB6 so we could add lua support to this version, find a way to make it work with 38A's physics and add special slots for custom NPCs rather than having new NPC in place of another one.
That way a new version can be made.
With the decompiled code we could potentially add new NPCs and power-ups without replacing anything else.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
English Pronouns: he/him
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #15by Wohlstand » 4 Feb 2022, 18:10

Chanceux2 wrote:that smbx2 is based on the source code while smbx38a is rewritten completely
Strenge description :doge:

I'll clarify:
  • SMBX2 Is an extension mod, based on LunaLua library that works over old Redigit's October 2010 build of SMBX 1.3
  • SMBX-38A is absolutely different engine written from the scratch and is fully standalone
  • Additionally, TheXTech is another standalone engine, it's based on the source code of SMBX 1.3 that was ported into C++ and got been extended directly, so, it's also a standalone engine like SMBX-38A. And, TheXTech already has a set of features from SMBX-38A working here natively.

So, if speaking about what thing is better to do, is re-implementing of best features of both SMBX2 and SMBX-38A on top of TheXTech.

Chanceux2 M
Our friend
Our friend
Chanceux2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #16by Chanceux2 » 5 Feb 2022, 1:03

Wohlstand wrote:
Chanceux2 wrote:that smbx2 is based on the source code while smbx38a is rewritten completely

I'll clarify:
  • SMBX2 Is an extension mod, based on LunaLua library that works over old Redigit's October 2010 build of SMBX 1.3
  • SMBX-38A is absolutely different engine written from the scratch and is fully standalone
  • Additionally, TheXTech is another standalone engine, it's based on the source code of SMBX 1.3 that was ported into C++ and got been extended directly, so, it's also a standalone engine like SMBX-38A. And, TheXTech already has a set of features from SMBX-38A working here natively.

So, if speaking about what thing is better to do, is re-implementing of best features of both SMBX2 and SMBX-38A on top of TheXTech.

? I'm confused. So I get SMBX38A being rewritten, but SMBX2 ISN'T a unofficial continuation to 1.3?
Umm I stated this wrong. What I meant to say was, the source code for smbx isn't being edited in smbx2? It's just adding on?

Neito wrote:
Bandit wrote:
Neito wrote:

Let's call this SMBX3

Ur taking it too far lol. Reminds me of my old self. I wanted to make 1.5 a thing and didn't know how to code + the source code (for 1.3) wasn't even out that time.

Bandit
Our friend
Our friend
Bandit
Our friend
Our friend

Post #17by Bandit » 5 Feb 2022, 6:19

Wohlstand wrote:

I'll clarify:

Esa sería la idea

Chanceux2 M
Our friend
Our friend
Chanceux2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #18by Chanceux2 » 5 Feb 2022, 19:07

Is there a way to load the decompilation or at least test it out?

Added after 3 minutes 13 seconds:
Void wrote:Do note that this is not the source code, and that a decompilation is not the same as source code, however, I do believe the decompilation could be of use to anybody interested in wanting to potentially remove the anti-cheat measures and enable hidden functions. I unfortunately cannot be much help in doing either of these, as I do not even remotely have the technical knowledge to do such a thing.

I just noticed this part of the post. There is hidden functions? What do they do?

Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount
Erwill M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #19by Erwill » 5 Feb 2022, 20:22

Chanceux2 wrote:I just noticed this part of the post. There is hidden functions? What do they do?

Yes there is. It's a exe compilator, it allows you to export your project but it's standalone so you don't have to download SMBX 1.4.5 to play your project.
However, there isn't any minigame, you have to hack the software to unlock it.

+KZ
Close friend
Close friend
+KZ
Close friend
Close friend

Post #20by +KZ » 8 Feb 2022, 16:27

Chanceux2 wrote:? I'm confused. So I get SMBX38A being rewritten, but SMBX2 ISN'T a unofficial continuation to 1.3?
Umm I stated this wrong. What I meant to say was, the source code for smbx isn't being edited in smbx2? It's just adding on?

Yeah, you can say smbx2 is like a smbx mod with hacks
Last edited by +KZ on 28 Dec 2022, 0:20, edited 2 times in total.
:ɔ ଇ ଈ :Ɖ :ɛ
GOOGLE TRANSLATE

SEE MY PROJECT
lol, it's a fake link

Return to “Super Mario Bros. X by 38A (SMBX-38A)”