The Level Selector - Now with Level Warp ID support!

Description: Subforum dedicated to SMBX-38A - a fan-made remake of the original SMBX Engine, made by 5438A38A.
Forum rules: This is official Europan/American community for the SMBX-38A. Suggested to don't post stuff for this engine outside this subforum.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Moderators, Semi-moderatos

Void
Topic author, Bat
Bat
Void
Topic author, Bat
Bat

Post #1by Void » 24 Mar 2020, 21:08

Hey guys! I'm back with something that will hopefully really help those making episodes out there. I'm here to introduce...
Debug.gif

...The Level Selector. This uses TeaScript to allow the user to modify the only warp in this level to take them to whatever level in their episode they want! This will be very useful for features that normally require using the main game in order to work.

The highlight of this is it's simplicity. No scripting knowledge is even required to use this!

How does it work? It's very simple. Extract the archive into your episode folder (or drag and drop the folder and level file, as I always tend to do) and modify your HUB Level or World Map so that it has a method to easily access this specific level, and then go to said level in the main game mode. Hit the block, type in the filename of your level, and enter the pipe! Simple as that! Once you clear a level that doesn't take you to a different level or die in a level (if restart level on death is disabled, of course) It will take you right back to where you entered the debug level, with no changes or alterations aside from what you had done within the level(s) you tested.

New update! The Level Selector now has support for level entrance warps! Use the O and P keys to change what warp ID to spawn at, shown by the number above the pipe. Setting the Warp ID to 0 will start the player at the default starting point.

Version 2 Download:
LevelSelectV2.zip
(35.54 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

Version 1 Download:
LevelSelect.zip
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

(Note that the level in the archive looks different from the one shown in the GIF. I had to rework the one in the GIF into a public format. If the GIF isn't animating or is glitchy, click on it to view it in a new tab.)

Possible issues you could run into:

"The pipe just warped me back out! What happened?"
Make sure you actually enter a level filename and click the Okay button. The pipe will warp you back out if it doesn't detect any form of text.

"The pipe isn't working! What do I do?"
The pipe is preventing you from warping because you typed in a level that doesn't exist. Hit the block again, type in the filename correctly, and make sure the .lvl or .elvl extension is added after the file name.

"The pipe isn't taking me to the proper level entrance warp!"
Unfortunately, that is one of the main flaws with this tool, if this was Version 1 that is. Version 2, the current version, now has support for choosing what warp to start the level at!
Join the SMBX 38a Discord Server!

sweep a leaf sweep away a troubles

Void
Topic author, Bat
Bat
Void
Topic author, Bat
Bat

Post #2by Void » 25 Mar 2020, 21:06

A new update has been released! This version now supports choosing which warp ID to start at when being sent to the level of your choice.
Join the SMBX 38a Discord Server!

sweep a leaf sweep away a troubles

Return to “Super Mario Bros. X by 38A (SMBX-38A)”