Urgent for SMBX Users with YouTube Channels

Description: Subforum dedicated to SMBX-38A - a fan-made remake of the original SMBX Engine, made by 5438A38A.
Forum rules: This is official Europan/American community for the SMBX-38A. Suggested to don't post stuff for this engine outside this subforum.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Moderators, Semi-moderatos

N.M.P.B.B. M
Topic author, Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
N.M.P.B.B. M
Topic author, Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
English Pronouns: Buddy
Youtube channel URL

Post #1by N.M.P.B.B. » 7 Dec 2019, 17:14

:letter: I remind to inform about some SMBX users who have a YouTube channel about the issues regarding YouTube changes due to the FTC Regulation by watching this video.

phpBB [youtube]

Original link: https://youtu.be/wNhRMFXaXOs

As of December 9, I'm going to switch to Twitter for trailers based on what I've created about my finished SMBX levels.

EDIT: I wasn't meant to delete this video except some of them. Very outdated...

Thanks for the tip.
Last edited by N.M.P.B.B. on 31 Dec 2019, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
• Check out my take on my SMBX38A levels on my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtjt9CorxN5Dw2SRwEz0Y9Q
• HumanReploidJP's ORIGINAL CONTENT YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpp63M8fQUR5bYvdFKQM_QQ

Lx Xzit M
Lx Xzit M
Website Youtube channel URL

Post #2by Lx Xzit » 8 Dec 2019, 19:30

I understand your preoccupation, and to be honest, this got me worried for a while too. However, over time the FTC has become clearer on what they consider kid's content. So before to panicking and deleting all your YouTube videos, please consider the following:

- Don't forget they are accepting suggestions until tomorrow, so let's see their final statement first.
- They can't fine you unless you're living in the U.S, since the FTC doesn't have jurisdiction in other countries.
- The fact that your video has bright colors and animated characters doesn't automatically mean it is directed for children. The FTC recognizes that adults can enjoy this kind of content too. To get your video be marked as kids' content, you should comply not with one, but with other requisites as well. The way the algorithm detects kids' content is completely contextual (e.g the algorithm may look at things like titles or look for intrinsic evidence that shows the video is made for kids). The fact a kid may watch it doesn't mean it's directed for kids.
- SMBX videos doesn't fall in this category, look:
Spoiler
  • Children or children’s characters.
  • Popular children’s programming or animated characters.
  • Play-acting, or stories using children’s toys.
  • Child protagonists engaging in common natural play patterns such as play-acting and/or imaginative play.
  • Popular children’s songs, stories or poems.

I don't think SMBX videos falls under kids' content according these items. Yes, Mario can be considered a kids' character, but it's not specifically for kids, he's been popular with people from all ages (unlike infantile animation characters). And as long as he's not doing the activities listed above we shouldn't worry about that.

Honestly, I am more concerned about how this will affect animation channels and how YouTube is going to implement an algorithm for detecting kids' content.
Oh by the way, thanks for putting me at the end of the video, I appreciate it!

Return to “Super Mario Bros. X by 38A (SMBX-38A)”