A Little Help Here...

Description: Subforum dedicated to SMBX-38A - a fan-made remake of the original SMBX Engine, made by 5438A38A.
Forum rules: This is official Europan/American community for the SMBX-38A. Suggested to don't post stuff for this engine outside this subforum.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Moderators, Semi-moderatos

P-Switch
Topic author, Nice citizen
Nice citizen
P-Switch
Nice citizen

Post #1by P-Switch » 25 May 2019, 19:24

Recently, I've been trying to make something in SMBX-38A 1.4.4 that involves spinning layers. And those layers need NPC's on them. The problem is, it doesn't seem like NPC's want to spin aside from the Vines (which I can't figure out to make them solid to the player and disallow them to be climbed), so, is there any way to force NPC's to move on spinning layers?
I honestly can't tell whether this belongs out here or in the scripting help topic.
Nothin' to see here...

Lx Xzit M
Lx Xzit M
Website Youtube channel URL

Post #2by Lx Xzit » 25 May 2019, 20:57

You can't force most of the npcs to move like if they were layers, but you can set their movement pattern through scripts. You also can't modify vines to make them non-climbable

P-Switch
Nice citizen
P-Switch
Nice citizen

Post #3by P-Switch » 25 May 2019, 21:12

Thanks, although it might be tricky to set the movement for each considering these NPC's all need to be in the same ring shape, all at different locations along the ring. Also since I know next to nothing about the scripting engine. The only one I use is the LSpin command, really. Also, you never answered the issue with that coin script you gave me in the help thread, for some reason, it doesn't increment past 99 if the coin has the extra coin script, it only provides the 1UP if the coin is unscripted.
Nothin' to see here...

Alvespires M
Count
Count
Alvespires M
Count
Count

Post #4by Alvespires » 27 May 2019, 3:58

Since I don't know exactly what you're trying to do with those "NPCs" other than the vine, I'm just going to post a general answer, however, if it's something more complex, then you should really use scripts.

It's just worth mentioning that you can just change graphics and configurations of some blocks or NPCs that can spin and use that instead.

For example, for the block-vine, you can change one of the blocks that can follow LSpin that you're not using in the level into the graphic of a vine (All graphics are kept on the "Graphics" folder that comes with SMBX, so you can just copy it from there and change it's behavior the way you want to, if you want to change it even more)
Not really up to it.

Omega02 M
Our friend
Our friend
Omega02 M
Our friend
Our friend
Youtube channel URL

Post #5by Omega02 » 5 Dec 2020, 13:49

Lx Xzit wrote:You also can't modify vines to make them non-climbable

Yes you can. All you need to do is go to your file explorer, copy the vine NPC from the graphics folder, copy it to your level, and rename it to a background. I hope that makes any sense what I just said.

Return to “Super Mario Bros. X by 38A (SMBX-38A)”