Super Mario Bros. X 1.4.3 - Beginner Tutorials (WIP)

Description: Subforum dedicated to SMBX-38A - a fan-made remake of the original SMBX Engine, made by 5438A38A.
Forum rules: This is official Europan/American community for the SMBX-38A. Suggested to don't post stuff for this engine outside this subforum.
Moderators: Lx Xzit, Yoshi021, 5438A38A, Semi-moderatos, Moderators

Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Website

Post #1by Lx Xzit » 21 Oct 2016, 19:32

The followings tutorials have been asked by some users, hopefully, those will be useful! If you want me to add some other tutorials, please post it or send me a PM and I'll gladly add your suggestion to the list (preferably don't ask advanced tutorials about scripts). Without more to say, here are the tutorials! Remember, this post is lead to the newer users and it's work in progress!

Level Editor
How to make auto-scrolling section?
Spoiler
1.) The first step is to make the camera as smaller as possible, I mean, it only should focus the start point.
2.) Open the "Events" window, go to "Level Start" > "Sections" > "Position 1" > "Custom" > "Use Current". Now, mark "Enable Auto-Scroll" and insert the value (speed) you want for the camera. Here's an image to guide you:
Spoiler
3.) By last, open the "Level Settings" tab and configure the camera of the level in the normal size of it.

NOTE: You can activate the Auto-scroll using others events rather than "Level-Start".

How to use old SMBX 1.3 graphics in SMBX 1.4?
Spoiler
1.) Make a new level and save it (for example, the level that you saved is named "level1.lvl").
2.) Make a folder with the exact name of the level (without the ".lvl" extension of course). Example: "level1".
3.) Insert the SMBX 1.3 graphics there, the ones with mask and in GIF format.
4.) Re-open the level, the game will ask if you want to convert old graphics into the new format.

NOTE: If you play an SMBX 1.3 episode the game will convert the graphics into PNG format automatically. Also, this procedure applies to world maps too. To see this message you must re-open the level instead save it.

How to make moving layers?
Spoiler
WIP

How to put music to the Mega Mushroom and the Starman?
Spoiler
Before to start, make sure you saved your level and the music of the Starman/Mega mushroom are in your level folder,

1.) Go to "Events" and make a new event called "Starman - Start" (without the quotation marks) and press "Enter". If you typed it correctly, you should be able to the phrase "Autorun Event" bolded and in red color.

Spoiler

2.) In the same tab of the events, go to "Sections" > "Music" > "Custom" and type the name of the starman music you will use:
Spoiler

3.) Make a new event named "Starman - End" (again, if typed it correctly you'll be able to see the phrase "Autorun Event"). Here, go to "Sections" > "Music" > "Custom" and type the custom music the level uses by default.
Spoiler

NOTE: If the level uses a music that it's in the game by default (I mean non-custom music), use the buttom "Use Current" instead "Custom":
Spoiler

For use custom music to the Mega mushroom, it's exactly the same procedure BUT you will name your events "Mega mushroom - Start" and "Mega mushroom - End" instead.

How to make item houses? (Tutoriel by Tepigfan)
Spoiler
http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1109

Script Tutorials:
How to make a dark section/field of view?
Spoiler
Firstly, you need to make a new script and add this code to enable the light:

Code: Select all

sysval(enablelighting) = 1

NOTE: to disable the field of view use this code

sysval(enablelightsystem) = 0

Now, if you want to modify the ratio of lightness of the player, use this code:

char(1).brightness = X

X is the number of pixels of the height of the ratio, for example, use 100.

NOTE: You can also choose the ratio of lightness to the second player by using "char(2)". You also can make custom effects through a variable like making the ratio bigger/smaller slowly.

By last, to add brightness to your NPCs, right-click the NPC. In "Behaviours" > "Brightness" you can define the ratio of brightness you want for your NPC:
Spoiler

NOTE: You also can do this manually by making a text document with the ID of the NPC (eg: npc-1.txt) and add the code "brightness=X", X being the number of the ratio in pixels.

How to make rotating layers?
Spoiler
You can find a video tutorial of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtubiM8n0tM

Queue:
- Explain what every tool in the game does
- Give minor and interesting tips/tricks
- ???

Rejected Tutorials:
- How to make a custom HUD
- How to make a custom NPC
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT
Join our 38A Discord server!

TepigFan101 M
Duke
Duke
TepigFan101 M
Duke
Duke

Post #2by TepigFan101 » 30 Oct 2016, 8:58

do you mind if you can add my "How to add Items to World Map Tutorial"? http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1109
Current Project : SMTFA
Coming Soon: NSMB DS Remake

I'm a nice and cheerful guy, so give me a holler if you need something! :gamer:

Discord:https://discord.gg/3HKcnFJ
Come to my discord to learn more about my stuff!

Alvespires M
Count
Count
Alvespires M
Count
Count

Post #3by Alvespires » 30 Oct 2016, 12:41

I think it would be interessanding if you place things like global variables.They're easy enough,I know how to use them,but there is a lot of people that won't.
"This giant fish is a mouth breeder, so it spits babies out of its mouth at Mario." - Nintendo Power Strategy Guide for Super Mario Bros. 3

I didn't left this forum. I still come here every in a while but I don't really have anything to say.

I think I also probably lost it.

I'm supporting:

Spoiler

delete this account
delete this account

Post #4by delete this account » 31 Oct 2016, 0:49

Lx Xzit wrote:How to put music to the Mega Mushroom and the Starman?
Spoiler
Before to start, make sure you saved your level and the music of the Starman/Mega mushroom are in your level folder,

1.) Go to "Events" and make a new event called "Starman - Start" (without the quotation marks) and press "Enter". If you typed it correctly, you should be able to the phrase "Autorun Event" bolded and in red color.

Spoiler

2.) In the same tab of the events, go to "Sections" > "Music" > "Custom" and type the name of the starman music you will use:
Spoiler

3.) Make a new event named "Starman - End" (again, if typed it correctly you'll be able to see the phrase "Autorun Event"). Here, go to "Sections" > "Music" > "Custom" and type the custom music the level uses by default.
Spoiler

NOTE: If the level uses a music that it's in the game by default (I mean non-custom music), use the buttom "Use Current" instead "Custom":
Spoiler

For use custom music to the Mega mushroom, it's exactly the same procedure BUT you will name your events "Mega mushroom - Start" and "Mega mushroom - End" instead.

When I type ''Starman - End'' it doens't tell Autorun Events, I type and retype 5 times but it doens't work. (Maybe I have the wrong version but you tutoriel tell 1.4.3 and I have it already.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.8 KiB) Viewed 3215 times

Pilzinsel64
Count
Count
Pilzinsel64
Count
Count

Post #5by Pilzinsel64 » 31 Oct 2016, 11:18

LuigiCraft7777 wrote:
Lx Xzit wrote:How to put music to the Mega Mushroom and the Starman?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

When I type ''Starman - End'' it doens't tell Autorun Events, I type and retype 5 times but it doens't work. (Maybe I have the wrong version but you tutoriel tell 1.4.3 and I have it already.
Capture.PNG

Use patch 6, because in the first version of 1.4.3 "Starman - End" wasn't in it.

delete this account
delete this account

Post #6by delete this account » 2 Nov 2016, 4:36

Thank you, it work but not for the Mega-Mushroom. I made the same steps but don't work too... :(

LuigiMario79 M
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
LuigiMario79 M
Nice citizen
Nice citizen

Post #7by LuigiMario79 » 3 Nov 2016, 2:01

LuigiCraft7777 wrote:Thank you, it work but not for the Mega-Mushroom. I made the same steps but don't work too... :(

You gotta remove the space between "Mega", & "mushroom". I tried it myself, & it worked.

delete this account
delete this account

Post #8by delete this account » 5 Nov 2016, 0:54

stephan1234 wrote:
LuigiCraft7777 wrote:Thank you, it work but not for the Mega-Mushroom. I made the same steps but don't work too... :(

You gotta remove the space between "Mega", & "mushroom". I tried it myself, & it worked.

That's doesn't work for me...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.52 KiB) Viewed 3106 times

Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Website

Post #9by Lx Xzit » 8 Nov 2016, 6:15

TepigFan101 wrote:do you mind if you can add my "How to add Items to World Map Tutorial"? http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1109
Of course! Added it to the list. Thanks for the contribution.

Alvespires wrote:I think it would be interessanding if you place things like global variables.They're easy enough,I know how to use them,but there is a lot of people that won't.
I may add some things about it but I'm not completely sure what I should talk about. The mainly concept of the global varibles is already in the documentation of the game, but if I find something useful I'll add it!

LuigiCraft7777 wrote:That's doesn't work for me...
This is very weird, because for me it works fine aswell. I don't understand why it isn't working if you have the patch 6 and you typed it correctly. Sorry but I can't help you, you will need to do it in the old way. :(
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT
Join our 38A Discord server!

LuigiMario79 M
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
LuigiMario79 M
Nice citizen
Nice citizen

Post #10by LuigiMario79 » 20 Nov 2016, 1:37

LuigiCraft7777 wrote:
stephan1234 wrote:

That's doesn't work for me...
Capture.PNG

If it doesn't work, use patch 6.

PK Esper F
Lord
Lord
PK Esper F
Lord
Lord
Website Facebook Google+ Twitter

Post #11by PK Esper » 16 Dec 2016, 15:59

Original question I have
(Bit noobish)Quick questions....

How many delays for the Mega Mushroom - Start?I kinda forgot,I've probably watched your video about how to make Superstar and Mega Mushroom have their music but it's gone.
bandicam 2016-12-16 20-51-48-130.png
(Ignore the Mega Mushroom - Start that doesn't work as an autorun event.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it for now!
why i hadn't been in this forum for long when i used to be a super active person
avatar is basically baldi from tumblr
Formerly known as RSupertheGreat.
ImageImage
What I support
ImageImageImage
Personality
Yes, I'm a girl. If you guys are thinking I'm a boy.
I hate most people.
I'm a developer (and a beta tester of):
My level/episode playthrough thread: http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2185

Coolio__ M
Marquis
Marquis
Coolio__ M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #12by Coolio__ » 17 Jun 2017, 15:45

I also wanted to point out that you could use PGE's GIFS2PNG converter to use old gfx in 1.4.4.
~Previously known as DaveDaCat101~
Image (my project)
I Support

PK Esper F
Lord
Lord
PK Esper F
Lord
Lord
Website Facebook Google+ Twitter

Post #13by PK Esper » 23 Jun 2017, 8:03

I'd like to post my tutorial for moving layers.
Spoiler
1- Make a new level. Then save it (to avoid losing your level's progress).
2- Make a new layer first before making a new event. The layer is on view > layers or just use the keyboard shortcut, CTRL + L.
3- After you make a new layer, select any blocks that you want. Make a new event, the event is on view > events or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + E.
3- Next, name the event such as "block up/down", "move up/down" and so on. Protip: If you don't wanna get confused which one is for moving NPC or blocks, then name it after a block or NPC. (Honorable mention, moving layers when using background object works on this.
[b]3A-
On the autostart, set it to "Autostart when game start".
3B- On the movement. First, you have to set the layer (e.g block layer) first and not the default, otherwise your level will mess up. After that, choose any direction. Set their speed such "0.02", put their number of speed either horizintal, vertical or both of them (mixing these together may move the layer diagonally).
3C- On the others, set "trigger events". Next, set how many numbers of delay so it can make them move longer or shorter and also how long will it move in any direction.
4- Test them to see if they works!

Precaution(s):
If you set the number of speed with commas/without 0.0 (e.g .2/ 0,2), this will cause the game will crash.
I guess this tutorial will help new players, if there is something's missing tell me, I'd appreciate your suggestion.
why i hadn't been in this forum for long when i used to be a super active person
avatar is basically baldi from tumblr
Formerly known as RSupertheGreat.
ImageImage
What I support
ImageImageImage
Personality
Yes, I'm a girl. If you guys are thinking I'm a boy.
I hate most people.
I'm a developer (and a beta tester of):
My level/episode playthrough thread: http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2185

Ice
Duke
Duke
Ice
Duke
Duke

Post #14by Ice » 24 Jul 2017, 0:44

I forgot to mention that auto-scroll when doing it vertically it can only go down not up. How do you make it go up?
I-I-I-I-T'S-A-ICE TIME! :cool:

also i don't check this site often so sorry if I reply really late :fool:
My Projecct:

Spectra
Duke
Duke
Spectra
Duke
Duke
YouTube

Ending a dark section

Post #15by Spectra » 12 Apr 2018, 19:40

sysval(enablelightsystem) = 0 doesn't seem to work...

Edit: It does
-No interesting comments here-

Return to “Super Mario Bros. X by 38A (SMBX-38A)”