Copyright violations - the big and dangerous weapon

Description: All web-site's announcements are kept here.
Moderators: Moderators, Semi-moderatos

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Website

Post #21by Kevsoft » 9 Aug 2014, 19:47

You know, that's what CC is for. To make easy license without complex text! It still contains the "lawyer speak", but the front page is always the human readable version!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.start() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.end() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #22by Mikepjr » 9 Aug 2014, 20:52

Lol... well i just.. even when i click the "?" beside the entries to see what they're for, i still don't get it.... guess i am pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff.

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #23by tb1024 » 9 Aug 2014, 21:03

A good point of CC licenses (yes, plural) is that they always provide a summary of the license. And the summary is clear enough for you don't accidentally violate the license following only the summary and simple enough for even a kid understand that. (Yes, I was 11 when I first read the CC summary).
My two CC recommendations are (links go to the summary):
CC By
CC By-SA
Some other license I recoomed is the Zlib and Libpng license.It's something like "Credit not required but appreciated". Actually, this license is meant for programs, so I ported it to "work" in general.
tb1024's Zlib/Libpng License Port
Spoiler
Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

This work is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this work.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this work for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you made the original work. If you use this work in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.

2. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original work.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
I hope it's now useful for you.

I don't recommend the GPL for art, graphics and such. GPL's copyleft is especially made for programs, and using the art in a non-free game (non-free-software) or even under another F/OSS license does trigger the copyleft, reducing a lot where your art can be used.
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #24by Mikepjr » 9 Aug 2014, 21:08

*goes cross eyed* I think i will just not worry about it right now.

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #25by tb1024 » 9 Aug 2014, 21:13

It's better simply do "give credit if used" or "credit not needed" etc. if you don't want to go through licensing and other legal stuff.
English Translation

nexiana
nexiana

Post #26by nexiana » 9 Aug 2014, 21:15

Mikepjr wrote:Wish i could wrap my head around this thing, i don't get any of what it's asking for.. it's all lawyer speak... it's not in simple english. It's in complex english.

Creative commons licenses (at least a bunch of them) are just nice public licenses that make it easier for FOSS (Free open source software) projects to legally use your works, in short. There are a bunch of them and you might want to check which one suits you (i.e do you want yourself to be attributed or not? .etc), and I believe that's what the http://creativecommons.org/choose/ page is supposed to help you with.

Personally I've found this license to be popular, but it's up to you!

And I'll quote what this STK dev team member says here about releasing it under such a license: "oh when you upload a file, suffices to say something like "I release this file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license", nothing very complicated :)"

Hope this helps! (edit: good page to read : http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FOSS_Licensing/How_t ... Open#Creative_Commons_Licenses )

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #27by Mikepjr » 9 Aug 2014, 21:37

Thanks, that made the most sense.
So basically make it plain as day what people can and can not do with my works.
I have seen those...
"You may edit or use, but give credit"
That sort of thing... alright i gotcha.

Luigifan2010 M
Developer
Developer
Luigifan2010 M
Developer
Developer

Post #28by Luigifan2010 » 10 Aug 2014, 0:28

If you're like me and you really just don't care, (what i code isn't that difficult just very repetitive) then you can use this WTFPL. This is what the NPC Code Editor is licensed under :D

Wohlstand M
Topic author, Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
English Pronouns: he/him
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #29by Wohlstand » 10 Aug 2014, 0:38

Luigifan2010 wrote:If you're like me and you really just don't care, (what i code isn't that difficult just very repetitive) then you can use this WTFPL. This is what the NPC Code Editor is licensed under :D
Oh, this license only as joke and not good for serious project because haven't validity :comando:

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #30by tb1024 » 10 Aug 2014, 4:39

Wohlstand wrote:Oh, this license only as joke and not good for serious project because haven't validity
Oh... It is badly written but still has legal value.
For these stuff, a BSD Style, MIT or other permissive stuff is good too.
English Translation

radel1996
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
radel1996
Nice citizen
Nice citizen

Post #31by radel1996 » 19 Feb 2015, 15:15

The project still planned to compatible with SMBX?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

Post #32by Wohlstand » 19 Feb 2015, 15:36

radel1996 wrote:The project still planned to compatible with SMBX?
Yes, this is a main technical concept of project and compatibility will be saved. Technical stuff is content independent.

lighthouse64 M
Duke
Duke
lighthouse64 M
Duke
Duke

About gfx

Post #33by lighthouse64 » 20 Feb 2015, 18:13

Wait, if this is true about the mario gfx, doesn't this mean that pokemon and kirby gfx can't be made either?
Player of hedgewars!!! :)
And hi... it's me from smbx
Currently bug testing for Mac :apple: And Windows :windows:

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

Post #34by Wohlstand » 20 Feb 2015, 19:15

lighthouse64 wrote:Wait, if this is true about the mario gfx, doesn't this mean that pokemon and kirby gfx can't be made either?
There are copyright stuff too and those projects should be independent to our main stuff. (For example, make your own web site or forum topic, and provide your stuff in them).

All config packs which provides on "Documents"/"Config packs" page which contains copyright stuff are have the copyright notification.

Any usage of copyright stuff should be independent from important technical stuff:
- We providing binaries of project without any content, but later we will have our own GFX pack which will be completely Creative Commons with no copyright stuff.
- Any configuration packages (which contains any content: some configs has free content, some contents has partial or full copyright stuff) are providing separately to main stuff. If we receive the complaint according to copyright, we will be compelled to remove illegal content. But because content are separated from engine stuff, project will takes no damage from this.

Everybody can use anything with PGE Project, but all copyright violators will take responsibility thyself.

Remember main rule: DON'T USE COPYRIGHT STUFF WITH COMMERCIAL PURPOSES - It is a great fail of Redigit which provided ads on site.
This means:
- ALL commercial ads forbidden (ads of commercial services or various goods)
- Providing of paid services are forbidden (You can't earn money with copyright stuff)
- You can's sold anything if you provides even some tiny copyright stuff

Any usage of copyright stuff with commercial purposes - direct parasitism.

lighthouse64 M
Duke
Duke
lighthouse64 M
Duke
Duke

Post #35by lighthouse64 » 20 Feb 2015, 20:58

Wohlstand wrote:
lighthouse64 wrote:Wait, if this is true about the mario gfx, doesn't this mean that pokemon and kirby gfx can't be made either?
There are copyright stuff too and those projects should be independent to our main stuff. (For example, make your own web site or forum topic, and provide your stuff in them).

All config packs which provides on "Documents"/"Config packs" page which contains copyright stuff are have the copyright notification.

Any usage of copyright stuff should be independent from important technical stuff:
- We providing binaries of project without any content, but later we will have our own GFX pack which will be completely Creative Commons with no copyright stuff.
- Any configuration packages (which contains any content: some configs has free content, some contents has partial or full copyright stuff) are providing separately to main stuff. If we receive the complaint according to copyright, we will be compelled to remove illegal content. But because content are separated from engine stuff, project will takes no damage from this.

Everybody can use anything with PGE Project, but all copyright violators will take responsibility thyself.

Remember main rule: DON'T USE COPYRIGHT STUFF WITH COMMERCIAL PURPOSES - It is a great fail of Redigit which provided ads on site.
This means:
- ALL commercial ads forbidden (ads of commercial services or various goods)
- Providing of paid services are forbidden (You can't earn money with copyright stuff)
- You can's sold anything if you provides even some tiny copyright stuff

Any usage of copyright stuff with commercial purposes - direct parasitism.
ok ;) So u can do them, but they have to be independent from the PGE. That makes complete sense. :) Anyways I am planning on making a really weird gfx pack... But :bads: might happen to it.
Player of hedgewars!!! :)
And hi... it's me from smbx
Currently bug testing for Mac :apple: And Windows :windows:

P3rf3ctXZer0
Good citizen
Good citizen
P3rf3ctXZer0
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #36by P3rf3ctXZer0 » 1 Jul 2015, 9:00

Nexia wrote:
Alucard wrote:Ok, You think, that using any material, that is even remotely looking like copyrighted ones (down to last tile and sound effect) can instantly lead to massive takedown by copyright holders, like Nintendo? If it`s true, why things, like Mario FanGames Galaxy(hosts Mario fangames), SmwCentral (has Super Mario World ROM Hacks and resources to create them), Zelda Classic (A freeware, but closed source, engine for Zelda-styled Action Adventure games. His download even bundles with carbon copy of original Zelda 1 game.), not to mention the massive copyright voilators, like Mushroom Kingdom Fusion and his sister projects, are still live and healthly? All it takes is one properly written Cease and Desist letter to devastate each of these communities with no proper way to fight back. Those communities look nothing more like giant bubbles hidden in bunkers in the eyes of Nintendo

The goal isn't only to be out of Nintendo's so called "reach", or give them a chance to claim that we're doing copyright infringement. But it's also to be a legitimately "free" open source project. This isn't 'just another mario fan-game' project, it's an open source platformer engine project (and not restricted to mario only). Remember that this project is licensed under the GPLv3 License, and that we obviously have to somewhat strictly conform to certain things.

On a side note, in my personal opinion we should be able to comply with things like the "Debian Free Software Guidelines"

So to say the least, there's some major things that are different about this project in comparison to the sites/fangames you referred to as examples. Besides, unlike them, after the changes Wohlstand makes, we shouldn't be in any danger of being shut down if Nintendo decides to take any action.
Okay so eventually the engine will allow 360 Loop physics and level System simialer to the Castlevania Franchise? The true plateform game engine right?.?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

Post #37by Wohlstand » 1 Jul 2015, 9:43

P3rf3ctXZer0 wrote:Okay so eventually the engine will allow 360 Loop physics and level System simialer to the Castlevania Franchise? The true plateform game engine right?.?
INI files are doing everything, also Lua scripts too. What about sprite rotation required to have 360 loop physics OpenGL natively supports it ;-)

P3rf3ctXZer0
Good citizen
Good citizen
P3rf3ctXZer0
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #38by P3rf3ctXZer0 » 2 Jul 2015, 0:10

Okay so if I understand you 100% I could add Sonic in the engine and make my dream sonic game with a story that does not suck?

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #39by tb1024 » 2 Jul 2015, 15:27

P3rf3ctXZer0 wrote:Okay so if I understand you 100% I could add Sonic in the engine and make my dream sonic game with a story that does not suck?
The PGE Engine itself will avoid any copyright violations; it'll not include by default copyrighted content and Wohl's servers won't host this content (Wohl will move SMBX config to another server after the final release).

What users do with PGE is not Wohl's business. You can include as much Sonic graphics, music and sound you want to your game; Wohl is not responsible. (Better add a footnote on the future PGE Episodes section "Wohlhabend Networks/Vitaly "Wohlstand" Novichkov is not responsible for content posted by users in this section.")
English Translation

Return to “Announcments”