Making A Standalone Game with PGE?

Description: Place for custom configuration packages which contain graphics, musics, sounds, settings and scripts, which are required to create & play levels and episodes with PGE.
Moderators: Moderators, Semi-moderatos

Bagu
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby
Bagu
Topic author, Passerby
Passerby

Post #1by Bagu » 23 Jun 2018, 20:54

Hi, I have some basic questions with regard to making a standalone game with PGE (i.e. no copyrighted material from Nintendo, Capcom, etc.).

1) Can you use PGE to make a sellable game (i.e. on Steam)?

2) Where is the best place to start making a standalone game with PGE?

It seems to me like most of the development emphasis has gone towards Super Mario Bros X 2.0 with (as I read) LunaLua no longer receiving standalone updates outside of SMBX2. Is it better to make a standalone PGE game, or somehow try to make it within SMBX2? I'm just trying to sort out the divisions between these platforms?

It seems like the first step is to take use an existing configuration package as a reference so you can build all your scripts and assets the right way. If this is true, what is the best config package to look at?

5438ASPGE71 M
Passerby
Passerby
5438ASPGE71 M
Passerby
Passerby
Website

Post #2by 5438ASPGE71 » 25 Jun 2018, 12:48

The best PGE config pack is SMBXpanded

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #3by Wohlstand » 25 Jun 2018, 17:18

Standalone PGE is STILL receive updates, as the work slowed due some lack of the time, look into GitHub repo and you will see lot of changes are in work. SMBX2 only uses PGE as DevKit part, and later, when PGE Engine will be completed, it will completely based on PGE (will be SMBX3) and no more will use legacy engine and LunaLua, most of API will be ported to PGE Engine directly.

Bagu wrote:1) Can you use PGE to make a sellable game (i.e. on Steam)?
You can make the config pack from scratch, it's totally unneeded to follow any existing config packs, as when you creating a new game from scratch, you don't need to rely on custom media as you are completely free to declare everything in config pack directly. The only purpose of custom media is modding allowing and ability non-vendor (anyone except of you and your team) users make own levels, episodes and add-ons for your existing game without of direct hacking of config pack.

Bagu wrote:2) Where is the best place to start making a standalone game with PGE?
Use absolutely any config pack as example (but don't use media from it, only basics of config pack creation).
As first experience, create the config pack that will contain only one element of each type, and then extend it with any other elements.

Here is the full specification of config pack setup you can use for you: https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Game_Configuration_Pack_References

And also, if you gonna to use some extras of audio engine: https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/SDL_Mixer_X#Path_arguments

Some stuff related to PGE Engine scripting system (which is not so completed and will receive massive updates): https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Category:PGE-Lua_API and http://pgehelp.wohlsoft.ru/_tech/pge-lua/

PGE Engine will be completely re-licensed into MIT and you will be able to use it's modified versions without of opening your source code parts you have embedded into PGE Engine assembly. However, if you are producing config pack, levels, episodes, and media, just by using current PGE Engine assembly with no modifications (you can take same assembly for every platform: Linux, Windows and macOS), you are free to do anything. If you will modify code, you will need to publish source parts you have changed.

Return to “Configuration Packages”