Page 1 of 2

Suggestions for editing features

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 12:08
by Kevsoft
So as you know we've reached the beta stage of the Editor :beta:!
You decided that we focus on more editing features, and then on the online feature.

We would now like to hear your suggestions about the editing features you wish. If we like your suggestion and it's possible to implement, I'll add them to this list (I've already put my ideas in it):

Spoiler
Static Templates
Static Templates are just like little structure snippets. Like you would copy an area and save it.

Dynamic Templates
Dynamic Templates are like static template, but they are generated by an algorithm. I will decide later how to program these templates, probably lua.

Mirror Selection
You can mirror the selection vertically or horizontally.

Spin (Rotate) Selection
You can spin/rotate your selection clockwise or non-clockwise.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you guys post your improvements to the list!

Happy Editing,
Developer Kevsoft

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 12:33
by Veudekato
i think we need mirror.

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 12:38
by Kevsoft
This everything is same prioritized in the list, so we don't need a poll!

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 12:44
by nexiana
Veudekato wrote:here should be a poll.
This thread's purpose is for hearing the community's voice on what editing features they specifically would like in the editor. So what exactly would a poll be useful for?

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 14:11
by Alucard
As for bucket fill feature, I have an idea to limit "flood" raduis at certain (settable in application settings) amount, usually 25-50 blocks away from click, or use section borders as limit to stop infinite "Flood Fill" and prevent crashing.

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 16:07
by Squishy Rex
By Static templates I assume you mean like the Toad House and Hammer Bros templates like in Mario Builder. The whole level is programmed, all you have to do is select what BG, BGOs and items you want in the section. If that is sort of what you mean I really like the idea.

I do have one suggestion though, what about an in-editor tile map editor like in Lunar Magic. This basically:
Image

I don't know how practical it would be, but it might be good for performing quick tileset edits or fixing small graphical errors rather than opening the whole tileset or selected object in an external program. It may even be good to implement this with the new tileset item boxes.

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 16:52
by Wohlstand
Squishy Rex, is you mean internal graphic editor? Good idea, and with PNG format this will be easier :biggrin:
Oh, saving into GIF is possible with libgif which was integrated in the LazyFixTool and in the PNG2GIFs tools, and I can generate masked GIFs instantly :cool:

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 17:18
by Squishy Rex
Wohlstand wrote:Squishy Rex, is you mean internal graphic editor?

Yes, basically.

Wohlstand wrote:Oh, saving into GIF is possible with libgif which was integrated in the LazyFixTool and in the PNG2GIFs tools, and I can generate masked GIFs instantly :cool:

Oh well that is great and extremely convenient! :)

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 19:13
by DeuxEx
I think that Squishy Rex has a great idea! An internal program to create graphics would be very helpful!

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 19:17
by sky2
A gfx editor like YY-CHR would be nice (internal gfx editor) :)

About selections, if we're going to have mirror selection, so why not something like "Rotate 90 degrees right" and "Rotate 90 degrees left"? People then will be able to easily turn a horizontal section into vertical one.

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 20:16
by Kevsoft
sky2 wrote:About selections, if we're going to have mirror selection, so why not something like "Rotate 90 degrees right" and "Rotate 90 degrees left"? People then will be able to easily turn a horizontal section into vertical one.
That what I meant with spin selection xP

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 20:28
by Tinkerbell
What would be really cool but maybe won't happen would be a in-build recorder tool that let's you record stuff in platgenwohl without using an actual recorder like people normally use for recording smbx stuff. But yeah an in-build Platgenwohl recorder would be really cool.

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 21:02
by Wohlstand
ViolaCourtes wrote:What would be really cool but maybe won't happen would be a in-build recorder tool that let's you record stuff in platgenwohl without using an actual recorder like people normally use for recording smbx stuff. But yeah an in-build Platgenwohl recorder would be really cool.
Hedgewars game have built-in video recorder of gameplay, you can record video of your game and this video will be saved in your user folder. I think to made some feature for my engine part

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 21:36
by Tinkerbell
Yeah if you could do that the format of the videos should be one that is supported by Youtube also. Would be great.

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 21:42
by Wohlstand
ViolaCourtes wrote:Yeah if you could do that the format of the videos should be one that is supported by Youtube also. Would be great.
Post from hedgewars site:
http://www.hedgewars.org/node/3877
It generating the MP4, OGV, AVI, all these formats are supporting by Youtube

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 22:05
by Tinkerbell
So we could choose between those formats?

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 22:05
by Wohlstand
ViolaCourtes wrote:So we could choose between those formats?
Yes!

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 22:19
by Tinkerbell
Alright that sounds amazing Wohlstand thx.

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 23:13
by sky2
Kevsoft wrote:
sky2 wrote:About selections, if we're going to have mirror selection, so why not something like "Rotate 90 degrees right" and "Rotate 90 degrees left"? People then will be able to easily turn a horizontal section into vertical one.
That what I meant with spin selection xP

Ah, sorry. Didn't see that xD

Also, in app menu, there's "Tilesets and Paletts Editor" or something similiar. So why don't add palette system to PGE? It will make preparing graphics much easier, rather than changing every block. It could fit very well with internal editor.

Posted: 7 Sep 2014, 23:47
by tb1024
sky2 wrote:Also, in app menu, there's "Tilesets and Paletts Editor" or something similiar. So why don't add palette system to PGE? It will make preparing graphics much easier, rather than changing every block. It could fit very well with internal editor.
Huh...So we should make Black and White graphics and PGE should be capable of replacing BW by other colors?
Nice idea.