Topic author, Contributor
Contributor

Post #1by Squishy Rex » 3 Sep 2014, 12:03

Tutorial for SMBX versions more recent than 1.3.0.1 (not counting SMBX 1.4.x):
http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Hardcoded_Image_List_of_SMBX_Engine

Tutorial for SMBX versions earlier than 1.3.0.1 (not recomended):
Spoiler
    1. What graphics can I change?

You can change a lot of graphics in SMBX, such as the logo, box items, you can change some NPCs that in normal SMBX you couldn't, for example recolor boots, recolor the Clown Car, etc.

You can also change some small details, such as numbers, the color of the dialog box, etc. There are a total of 1750 graphics that can be modified.

2. Replacing the graphics.

1) You will need SMBX extractor, download it from here:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?xi8z9pft07jc17q
    NOTE: We will only work with the SMBX exe, so it is advisable to make a backup in case there will be an error.

2) Open SMBX extractor you downloaded, now locate the directory to your SMBX exe. Here is a picture of how you should do it:

Spoiler
    NOTE: You must verify that the "txt" box isn't checked.

3) Select all files with the "+" box. Now when all the graphics are checked (1750 in total), create a new folder and unzip them there.
    Now, click "Start" and wait until unzip process will be finished.

4) Now that you have unzipped all the graphics, locate the graphic you want to change, edit the image and save it in GIF preferably, no matter if it previously was bmp, create a new folder with the new graphics that you changed.

5) This step is the most important one, you should go to this page:
    http://www.gifreducer.com/
    Here, upload images you previously modified, click on "Reduce It". Now this will give you a list of graphics. Select the lighter, (the last in the file) and replace it with the current graphics.

Once you did all of this with all the graphics you have changed, open SMBX extractor and now do the following:

1) Uncheck all boxes with the button "-" and click on "functions" > "Import File" and select your graphics. They must match the same number. eg:

Spoiler

2) Now a window will pop up, saying: "Do you want to replace the existing file?", click "Yes". But if you get this warning:

Spoiler
    Then click NO, otherwise your SMBX will not serve anymore. You should reduce the size of image(s).

3) In case you get this warning:

Spoiler
    Then click "Yes", no matter what is the number of difference.

4) Once you have done all of this with all the graphics you wanted to replace, close the extractor and run SMBX, you should see that the graphics have changed.

5) If you have a problem with opening SMBX, that means you did something wrong.

3. Precautions.

You should be aware that this process can cause major errors in SMBX. Read these important notes:

1) If you are replacing the current graphic with a bigger graphic, your SMBX will not serve anymore.
    2) If you accidentally replaced a graphic of a different number, your SMBX may be damaged and it may have graphical errors.
    3) It is recommended to backup your SMBX exe.
    4) This is a slow process, replace the graphics one by one, be patient.

I hope this helps. Questions? Ask them here.
Last edited by h2643 on 24 Aug 2015, 18:07, edited 6 times in total.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Lx Xzit M
Lx Xzit M
Website Youtube channel URL

Post #2by Lx Xzit » 6 Dec 2015, 7:45

Excuse me, I know this topic is a bit old but I'd like to take credit here. I wrote all the post in supermariobrosx.org, this is completely remade by me. I thought the Darkchao's tutorial was a bit uncompleted and unorganised so I made a one basing in the info he wrote, I didn't copy & pasted nothing just for clarify. Thanks. :)

Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Squishy Rex M
Contributor

Post #3by Squishy Rex » 6 Dec 2015, 12:02

This topic is pretty old now so I think updating it would be a good idea. I'll look up your tutorial on SMBX.org and update the top post, unless you'd prefer to post it yourself, in which case I'll archive this topic.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Return to “General”