Tutorial: Guide to Position Events (Revised)

Description: Casual SMBX discussion.
Moderators: Semi-moderatos, Moderators

Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Topic author, Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #1by Squishy Rex » 3 Sep 2014, 11:54

Recovered from the NSMBX Forums. Made by Chad.
Original Topic:

Since I've noticed a few topics popping up recently regarding how to set up Position events (meaning, the settings next to Music and Background, the one that forces the size of the level section to change during gameplay), I've decided that this tutorial needed a revision. Now it isn't just about eliminating background glitches. It's that, plus how to do this in general.

How to create Position Events:
Spoiler
If you've never done any event of this kind, here is where you should start. First, go into the section where you want this to take place and create an event in which this will happen. Whatever the level boundaries are set to now, change them to what you want them to be once the event takes place. Once you've done that, go into your new event and click Use Current under Position, and it will change to Set. You must be viewing correct section while doing this, or else it will apply to a different one.

That completes the event, because it now knows to make the section focus on that size and that area once the event happens. Now resize the level boundaries to what they're supposed to be when the level first starts. Even after you do, the event still remembers what it must set it to. If the new size is larger than the original or background in any direction, it may glitch up. You can fix this by covering the new areas with BGOs, but there's a more effective way I'll get to shortly.

Auto-Scroll:
Spoiler
Same as the steps in the previous spoiler, but after doing those, just set the speed and direction in which the auto-scroll will go. However, it must be on the "Level - Start" event, it must be in Section 1, the resized screen area must include the player starts, and it can only go one direction and speed. It can be any direction or speed, but once it starts, it can't stop until it reaches the end of the section.

How to eliminate background glitching:
Spoiler
The main reason I made this tutorial in the first place is because creating Position events often causes the background to glitch up if the new level boundary settings are larger than the original. It is largely dependent on what background you're using, but this is a way to solve that without worrying about the size of your background.

The key to this is the original size of the boundary. The original size (as in, the size that it is once the level starts) must be large enough to encompass all changes to the size throughout the section. So as you create the section, feel free to resize the boundary freely and create events for it as desired. But remember what you set everything to, because once all of it is done, make sure the original size covers absolutely every part of the section that will ever get visited. If you do this, your background will never glitch up.

Of course, unless you use one that always glitches up such as the SMB3 cave/sky, airship interior, or anything involving the SMB3 clouds, to name a few. Those will still glitch all the same if the boundary is ever large enough that it would, but I wouldn't suggest using those backgrounds for this anyways unless you had them replace different ones.

Let me know if this tutorial should be revised again in any way. I want it to be as clear as possible - Chad.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #2by Veudekato » 3 Sep 2014, 12:40

ah, i make tutorial about autoscroll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5OHszZ-tOo
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Return to “General”