The Cosmic Catastrophe

Description: SMBX projects that are currently WIP belong here.
Moderators: Moderators, Semi-moderatos

CaptainSwag101 M
Topic author, Contributor
Contributor
CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
YouTube

Post #1by CaptainSwag101 » 9 Sep 2014, 3:38

Alright, so I actually started this project years ago with 2 of my friends, but we never finished it. Now, I'm planning to redesign/remaster the project using our editor, and I will gladly accept any help with the project. If you want to help out, feel free to PM me, send me a request on Skype, or send me an email.

Plot:
Original Plot Summary (Contains Spoilers for first half of episode!)
Note: this summary only explains about the first half of the story, so that the rest of the episode isn't spoiled.
One spring day, the Mario Bros. received a letter from Princess Peach. It said, "Please come to the castle for an urgent meeting." After reaching the castle, the Bros. learn from the princess that a strange meteor crashed down a few hours ago, and seemed to be emanating a strange energy. Princess Peach then requested that the Mario Bros. head out in search of the meteor and bring it back to the castle for research. As they are about to leave, however, a sudden wave of freezing air swept through the castle and across the rest of the kingdom, coating the ground, plants, and nearly everything else with snow or ice. Then they heard a cackle split the air, and saw the Crystal King fly up to the meeting room window on an airship. "Mwahahahaha!" he said. "The power of the meteor will be MINE!" Quickly, the Mario Bros. ran outside and began to chase after the Crystal King. After making their way to his frozen lair, the Bros. are able to defeat him. After doing so, the Crystal King tells them that Bowser was using him as a distraction, and that while they were fighting him, Bowser is already well on his way towards the meteor. After travelling through the forest, the Bros. reach the meteor's crater. They find that Bowser is already there, waiting for them. As Bowser gloats about getting the meteor, a loud cracking noise emanates from the crater. They see a strange dark orb of energy appear out of the meteor, and begin to lazily float around. Suddenly, when the orb nears Bowser, it suddenly flashes brightly, and morphs into a shadowy duplicate of the Koopa king, and looks at him expectantly. Bowser roars with laughter, and, pointing at the Mario Bros, says, "Destroy them!"

Here is the progress we had already made before the project was put on hold:
Original Project Completion
  • Level Design: 60%
  • World Design: 50%
  • Graphics Design: 65%
  • Story Design: 55%
  • Boss/Custom NPC Design: 35%

And now, here is the current progress of the remake:
Current Project Completion
  • Examining old levels, remaking bad ones: 5%
  • Creating new levels: 0%
  • Redesigning bad parts of world map: 2%
  • Improving custom graphics: 5%
  • Story Improvements/Design: 30%
  • Boss/Custom NPC redesigning: 0%

I will try to update this post frequently, so keep checking back!

Some screenshots of the old levels:
http://imgur.com/a/0NQJn

Download the project here!
Original version 0.1.0

And here's a trailer I made for the project a while back:
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5eGTPH3OcM

--The Captain of Swag

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #2by Veudekato » 9 Sep 2014, 12:19

okey. not bad. tip: add more dec (BGO) and slopes blocks . i like when ice cubes replaces thwomp.
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #3by tb1024 » 9 Sep 2014, 21:12

I played it a bit, and it's ok for a beginner (I bet you were a beginner when making this).
Some characteristics of this episode are especially nice, such as the nostalgic level design. This trait should be conserved.
However, the levels are too short, some levels are just boss battles (instead of some travel through a castle and stuff). The level design also misses BGOs a lot, some levels doesn't even feature then.
And I think you should add some level theme variation, because we're stuck at overworld snow most time on the first levels. Care about the first level, that's the place where the player forms his/her initial impressions about the game.
One comment: I think you should learn a bit of video editing. This trailer is, frankly, very boring.
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
YouTube

Post #4by CaptainSwag101 » 9 Sep 2014, 21:48

Yeah, I made that trailer over a year ago, and my skills with Sony Vegas have improved a lot since then! Also, what do you mean by "nostalgic level design"?
--The Captain of Swag

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #5by tb1024 » 9 Sep 2014, 22:16

CaptainSwag101 wrote:Yeah, I made that trailer over a year ago, and my skills with Sony Vegas have improved a lot since then! Also, what do you mean by "nostalgic level design"?
Vanilla level design.
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Contributor
Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Contributor

Post #6by Squishy Rex » 10 Sep 2014, 15:02

Firstly, you've got my support on this. It is great to see projects and episodes being reborn into even more beautiful games. If you need graphics, you know who to talk to. :) Secondly it doesn't look all that bad. It fits the look of most projects from a few years back, where vanilla levels, with a bit of clash and cut-off didn't matter as much as it does today. The Invasion 2 and STTB are prime examples. If you need a Beta tester with this then sign me up too. It will be good to see this project finally see the light of day as an episode after all this time. Good luck! :)
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
YouTube

Post #7by CaptainSwag101 » 17 Sep 2014, 1:19

Quick bump: Updated the post with a (kinda long) plot summary, and new/updated information.

Also Squishy, I would love to have your help designing custom GFX for this project! If you want, I can send you a list of some of the graphics I'll probably need and also some ideas for possible character designs, etc. Just let me know, and I'll start coming up with the list so I can send it as soon as I'm done. Or, perhaps I could create a Google Drive folder for holding the project info and lists, graphics, story ideas, etc. and share it with you. Either way, thanks for your support!
--The Captain of Swag

Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Contributor
Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Contributor

Post #8by Squishy Rex » 18 Sep 2014, 2:31

Cool, it would probably be better if you sent me a list. I like the Google Drive idea, but I can't use it as I've had problems with it before, I guess my computer just doesn't like it. Anyway, I'll wait till you're done and then I'll get to work and see what I can do. ;-)
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Return to “Projects”