ParalX: ParallaxY Screws Up Positions

Description: Archive discussion
============================
Original description:
Official subforum for LunaLua - an extension framework for SMBX Engine Version 1.3 (which a core of SMBX 2.0). Share your creations that require the use of LunaLUA. You may also share info/tutorials on how to use LunaLUA.

Sambo M
Topic author, Count
Count
Sambo M
Topic author, Count
Count

Post #1by Sambo » 1 Feb 2016, 3:02

I probably just don't understand it right, but when I set parallaxY to anything other than 0, the image completely disappears in a section with no Y-scroll, and moves down WAY too low in any other section.

I know I don't need parallaxY in a section with no Y-scrolling, but there are sections in the level that do have Y-scrolling, and I want to script the BG once for the whole level. So, what are the offsets for the images relative to? This was never really clarified. It seems like it's relative to the start position of the camera, but only with a Y parallax of 0. If the Y parallax is set to anything else, there doesn't seem to be any way to tell where it will end up. This is particularly irritating when it isn't even on the screen, and I have to expand the section boundaries a ridiculous amount to find the layer. In one section, I can't even find the layer at all. I expanded the bounds up and down by 3 or 4 times the camera height, and can't find it anywhere.

I don't really know how this API works, exactly, but maybe the offsets should be relative to the section boundaries instead of the screen. For instance, you could have offsets like "top + 100" to attach the BG layer to the top of the level and down 100 pixels, and it would be 100 pixels from the top of the screen while the camera was as high as it could go. There should be a similar thing for the bottom of the section as well. This way, sections could be any height and it would still display properly. Of course, I don't know how well that would work, but as it is now, I find it completely confusing, and I can't even use it.
Current Project:

Return to “LunaLua - Extension Framework”