Old development news thread

Description: General discussion regarding the current engine development.
Moderators: Moderators, Semi-moderatos

Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Contributor
Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Contributor

Post #181by Squishy Rex » 15 Mar 2015, 15:24

tb1024 wrote:Sounds promising having PGE on smartphones. However, it'll take a long time to fix the UI and massive memory usage of the editor.
btw, when this project is finished, most gamer phones and tablets will play it fine, I think.

With the leaps and bounds in technological advancements being made right now, I think it would be safe to bet that pretty much and phone or tablet (or Apple watch apparently) will be able to bear the load. I have to admit, I was excited for SMBX online back in the day, but I never would have thought of this. This could essentially be our best chance of "getting it out there" into the wide world of games/engines. Let's face it, most people, if they have a computer, then they'll most likely have at least one Smart device.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Wohlstand M
Topic author, Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
English Pronouns: he/him
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #182by Wohlstand » 16 Mar 2015, 7:45

Small news!

I just added Linux Mint x64 and Android builts of the editor into laboratory.

Also: Who uses Linux Mint or Ubunti-like distros now please check is my deploy works for you or not?

You can try the hardcore on your tabled or with more hardcore - on smartphone now! :biggrin:

Rock with unstable Android built here:
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_laboratory/

Note for Android: Unpack config packs into "/sdcard/PGE Project Data/configs" folder. It will be created automatically when you will run editor even with no config packs.

But by anyway,
Beta has been came now!

-> PGE Editor 0.3.0-Beta
-> Download Windows x86 binaries

-> Download Linux Mint x64 binaries

-> Download experimental Android built of the PGE Editor

Installers coming soon!

Changelog 0.3.0-beta
Editor 0.3.0
- Fixed group collision random crash
- Fixed 'too large weight' crash
- Added update checking
- Better history manager
- Added support of user specific settings and logs
- Interprocess communication system is fixed for Linux and Windows systems!
- Fixed freezing on reading some NPC.txts with mistakes
- Added ability to save progress on file reload
- Added more soft parsing of NPC.txt files. Instead of rejecting, you will be warned about wrong values but file will be loaded!
- Added more smart reloading of files
- Added basic communication with LunaDLL to run test of current level in the opened SMBX Editor. This feature will work on Windows platform only. (LunaDLL with LUA v0.5.3-beta and higher is required in the SMBX)
- Added "force-portable" settings to keep using of application directory instad of ~/.PGE_Project folder if you was installed editor by installer
- Added crash autosave which will give chance to keep most of your progess even crash happened
- Added history manager limit to prevent memory overflow.
- Fixed a lots of bugs in the layers and events tool-boxes.
- Fixed blinking of toolboxes on startup.
- Added SoX autio converter GUI to provide quick and easy audio files fixing toolset.
- Added message box event creator for blocks context menu.
- Fixed bug of events toolbox when changing language.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

Post #183by Wohlstand » 26 Mar 2015, 22:37

Laboratory mirror was moved!

Hello!
I have a good news for people whom annoyed to download via slow-speed connection!
PGE Project now is registered on the Gna!,
and we are got ability to host PGE builts and config packs on the server with a better download speed!

Welcome to the new laboratory place!
http://home.gna.org/pgewohlstand/

P.S. Later I will re-program online installer to take it download from GNA instead of wohlsoft.ru, but not online installer will still download packages from slow connection with wohlsoft.ru server.

EDIT: Online Installer has been updated! http://download.gna.org/pgewohlstand/dev/win32/pge-online-downloader.exe
(The download speed should be faster than was before)

EDIT November 16, 2019: GNA service is dead by itself

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #184by Veudekato » 27 Mar 2015, 18:28

Have Many bugs in android tablet. Will give screenshots later
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

Post #185by Wohlstand » 10 Apr 2015, 2:28

PGE Engine 0.0.7-pre-alpha long test
Here is a test of PGE Engine version 0.0.7-pre-alpha which took the ability to play world maps and episodes. Currently world maps renders without textures, but basic episode system is works.
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuCuudtAh0

Here was tested episodes:
The Invasion 2
Sarasaland Adventure by Otabo
Super Mario Magical Paintings (old DEMO 1.0) by Airship

About Box2D physics:
Here the character (blue rectangle) can float like Peach, can in some cases climb on the walls, and slides while stay on slopes, but when it jumps and hits diagonal celling, it would get speed-up of movement. Character can't staticalyl stay on slopes and will slite down. Box2D implements physics of real world and would be used to create games with progressive physics, etc. By anyway will be constructed new physical engine which will more similar to SMBX and will provide same physics which in the SMBX and also we can take full control with physics and will be possible to add any other physical things which impossible or too hard to do with Box2D case.

How to put episodes into PGE to get able play them?
It's simple and easy:
- If you downloaded PGE package as ZIP and unpacked into any folder, you can make "worlds" folder in the PGE folder like SMBX and you can put any levels into them should familiar to you if you has a skills with SMBX.
- If you installed PGE via installer, the "worlds" folder shoud be created in the "%UserProfile%\.PGE_Project" *.
* where %UserProfile% - is a system variable which contains path to your user profile folder which is writable without admin rights.

Note: If you have configured "SMBX Integration" config pack, PGE Engine will show all episodes from your SMBX!

Which controls?
Controls are like standard SMBX:
Arrow keys to walk and enter into warps
Z - jump
X - run faster
PGE specific keys:
T - toggle full screen mode
F3 - enable/disable debug information
i - disable/enable walkable zone limit on the world map (you will have able to walk anywhere)
F12 - take screenshot (will be saved in the screenshots folder which will be in PGE folder or in the %UserProfile%\.PGE_Project). Screenshots will be written into PNG format and will have timedate based filename.
More information in the Readme.txt of engine application.
Esc - Exit from level [you will return to world map], or exit from episode [if you on the world map or in the main hub level]
Enter - show dummy message box

sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend
sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #186by sky2 » 11 Apr 2015, 14:42

Wow! That's a big step forward in developing the engine, I mean, ability to play episodes... I see it hasn't even any NPC AI or even rendering, but this test definitely shows a major update to making the game feel more finished (even if it's long time when the engine will be fully stable)
Poof!

DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend
DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #187by DeuxEx » 14 Apr 2015, 11:19

After some time you return on the forums, and I realize the excellent work of wolhstand and his team. really a great job.
But I have a question, the engine how long it takes to produce it?
:clapping: :clapping:

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

Post #188by Wohlstand » 14 Apr 2015, 11:23

ImperatoreXx wrote:After some time you return on the forums, and I realize the excellent work of wolhstand and his team. really a great job.
How I see, I can finish it faster than 1 year, but life will show how much time I will have to work (at parallel I currently have diploma project in my university and I have less free time for anything).

DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend
DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #189by DeuxEx » 14 Apr 2015, 13:49

I understand you, even I am studying for a degree, I realize that it is to realize projects or to study, time to do things and little. So good luck. :bye: :bye:

Alucard
Our friend
Our friend
Alucard
Our friend
Our friend

Post #190by Alucard » 14 Apr 2015, 15:17

Wohlstand wrote:
ImperatoreXx wrote:After some time you return on the forums, and I realize the excellent work of wolhstand and his team. really a great job.
How I see, I can finish it faster than 1 year, but life will show how much time I will have to work (at parallel I currently have diploma project in my university and I have less free time for anything).
I don`t think it can be finished such fast. I think, it may take 4-5 years depending on circumstances.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

Good news for Mac OS X users!

Post #191by Wohlstand » 19 Apr 2015, 7:05

ImageImage

Hello! Today I have a good news for owners of Mac computers!
After some works and with help of my friend I finally got working Mac OS X built!
Image Get Editor 0.3.0-beta, Engine and Tools [Mac OS X, Intel x64] (dmg)
I think, it should work now, if it is NOT work, please report me!

Screenshots:
Spoiler
Editor:

Engine:

How to start usage:
1) Plug in dmg image
2) drag&drop folder "PGE Project" into "Applications" shortcut
3) Go to config packs page and get any config pack except "SMBX Integration" which for Windows builts to integrate with SMBX.
4) Find in the copied PGE Project folder the "configs" sub-folder, put downloaded zip file into it and unpack!
5) Everything should work!

You also can make "worlds" subfolder and put any your SMBX episodes to get stuff to test in the engine!

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

New Update! (PGE 0.3.0)

Post #192by Wohlstand » 3 May 2015, 12:43

-> PGE 0.3.0
Updated version of editor and working experimental engine part to test your stuff and having more fun!
EDIT: Bugfix has been applied!

Changelog 0.3.0.1
Spoiler
Editor 0.3.0
- Fixed group collision random crash
- Fixed 'too large weight' crash
- Added update checking
- Better history manager
- Added support of user specific settings and logs
- Interprocess communication system is fixed for Linux and Windows systems!
- Fixed freezing on reading some NPC.txts with mistakes
- Added ability to save progress on file reload
- Added more soft parsing of NPC.txt files. Instead of rejecting, you will be warned about wrong values but file will be loaded!
- Added more smart reloading of files
- Added basic communication with LunaDLL to run test of current level in the opened SMBX Editor. This feature will work on Windows platform only. (LunaDLL with LUA v0.5.3-beta and higher is required in the SMBX)
- Added "force-portable" settings to keep using of application directory instad of ~/.PGE_Project folder if you was installed editor by installer
- Added crash autosave which will give chance to keep most of your progess even crash happened
- Added history manager limit to prevent memory overflow.
- Fixed a lots of bugs in the layers and events tool-boxes.
- Fixed blinking of toolboxes on startup.
- Added SoX autio converter GUI to provide quick and easy audio files fixing toolset.
- Added message box event creator for blocks context menu.
- Fixed bug of events toolbox when changing language.
- Added soft refusing of file saving into LVL/WLD on excite of the SMBX64 limits
- Added working file association for Linux
- Fixed crash on attempt to undo while resizing mode in process and when resizing was applied
- Added "Transform all Item-ID into" context menu feature which works like "swap blocks" in the SMBX.
- Fixed crash on wrong log path, added log rotation on each start-up of editor like made in the engine.
- If configuration package is failed, config status window will pop-up automatically
- Added testing of world maps!
- Added ability to install config pack into %UserProfile%\.PGE_Project, ~/.PGE_Project or ~/Library/Application Support/PGE Project folder
- Added "delete tileset" button to provide built-in removing of junk tilesets
- Fixed bug with music boxed placing undo history action
- Loading speed has increased
Minor updates after release (updated version since 11 may 2015 build date):
- Fixed musicbox history
- Fixed history of z-values
- Copy-pasting bugs has been fixed
- Added support of custom music on world map (WLDX files only!)

Screenshots
Spoiler
PGE Editor in action
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHKAFdfapJ8

PGE Engine v0.0.8 pre-alpha - Gameplay Footage
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PImwSLhuokA

Experimental engine part in work (0.0.7-pre-alpha):
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PImwSLhuokA

Note: If you looking up for engine controlling, read this text file. In next builds of engine I will add ability to set up custom control keys.

Online installer
Image Get updated Online Installer for Windows. Online installer will download and install all necessary stuff automatically!

Portable packages
Standalone archives are including Editor, Engine, Playable Character Sprite Calibrator, GIFs2PNG, PNG2GIFs and LazyFix Tool. To get PGE working you must download one of configuration packages here

Image Download PGE 0.3.0 for Win32

Image Download PGE 0.3.0 for Linux Mint/Ubuntu

Image Download PGE 0.3.0-beta2 for Mac OS X
(be careful, this build is older than current builds for Windows and Linux. It works fine, but contains small unfixed bugs, to fix them I need rebuild it, but temporary I can't make new Mac builds)

Image Download experimental Android built of PGE Editor 0.3.0
(Recommended usage on tablets. Sound and music is not works. Install config pack into /sdcard/PGE Project data/configs folder)

Source code
Image Download source code (zip)

Image Download source code (tar.gz)

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #193by tb1024 » 3 May 2015, 14:29

Wohlstand wrote:(be careful, this built is older than current builts for Windows and Linux. It is working, but contains small unfixed bugs, fixed built coming soon)
Wohlstand wrote:experimental Android built of PGE Editor 0.3.0
I think you meant "build" and "builds", not "built" and "builts".

What's the problem of building PGE in Mac? I know the problem in Android build: nearly unusable UI and high memory usage in low-end phones (through I have no 'smart' device here, besides my PC, which is normally not considered as smart device).

I thought you worked around the problem in building in Mac.
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

Post #194by Wohlstand » 3 May 2015, 14:57

tb1024 wrote:What's the problem of building PGE in Mac?
The main problem is accessible to use of Mac OS computer for me to I can do builds (they are usually expressive, but I have friend who provided me his VM where I made latest build, but now he maintaining his system and I can't use it). Without Mac OS I can't refresh mac build. I made latest built at april 25, and wasn't updated it. Since than time I have some bugfixes which I already applied for Linux, Windows and Android builds. Mac build works fine, but it still not updated, with bugs which I fixed since to April 25.

tb1024 wrote:I think you meant "build" and "builds", not "built" and "builts".
Oops, thanks ;-) (I mean "The build" which a result of "to build", but in last time I had "built" word. I know than "built" is a past form of "build" verb)

lighthouse64 M
Duke
Duke
lighthouse64 M
Duke
Duke

Post #195by lighthouse64 » 11 May 2015, 13:05

Wohlstand wrote:
The main problem is accessible to use of Mac OS computer for me to I can do builds (they are usually expressive, but I have friend who provided me his VM where I made latest build, but now he maintaining his system and I can't use it). Without Mac OS I can't refresh mac build. I made latest built at april 25, and wasn't updated it. Since than time I have some bugfixes which I already applied for Linux, Windows and Android builds. Mac build works fine, but it still not updated, with bugs which I fixed since to April 25.
Um... I think there might be mac emulators that let you use mac os. They both use intel so it should work.
Player of hedgewars!!! :)
And hi... it's me from smbx
Currently bug testing for Mac :apple: And Windows :windows:

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

Post #196by Wohlstand » 11 May 2015, 13:50

lighthouse64 wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:
Um... I think there might be mac emulators that let you use mac os. They both use intel so it should work.
The problem is than I have x64 machines AMD-based, but lots of Intel x86 :P

DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend
DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #197by DeuxEx » 16 May 2015, 13:53

Hello everyone, woshland I have to ask you something, but in a future structure openworld 2d (Terraria example), you may have for the project?
Because I would have ideas, but with smbx I feel limited in building what. :SOS:

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #198by Veudekato » 17 May 2015, 11:34

Engine is platformer,no ideas for craft,survive
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Contributor
Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Contributor

Post #199by Squishy Rex » 21 May 2015, 9:18

ImperatoreXx wrote:Hello everyone, woshland I have to ask you something, but in a future structure openworld 2d (Terraria example), you may have for the project?
Because I would have ideas, but with smbx I feel limited in building what. :SOS:

Nothing like that has been planned as of yet, but in future builds, namely SMBXtended, this could be done possibly to be able to make a world map that mimics the free roam maps of SM3DW or as you said more level based openworlds like Terraria. It certainly would be a fun concept to introduce, especially for the online mode.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer

Post #200by Wohlstand » 5 Jun 2015, 2:58

PGE Engine 0.0.10 and PGE Engine 0.0.10.1 videos

Gameplay footage of PGE Engine 0.0.10 by bossedit8
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yc2dGCzrQM

Interprocessing message boxes: Old gimmick of PGE Engine which wasn't documented before this moment
(Tested on the PGE Engine 0.0.10.1)
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtAypGP5yng

How to get working of the interprocess message boxes:
1) create or open any level
2) run testing (first menu-item "Run testing", not "run testing of saved file"!)
3) Open development console from "? -> Show development console" menu
4) To spawn message box, type command:
engine the testing text
when the "the testing text" message will be spawned in the game!

Return to “Engine Development”