Old development news thread

Description: Storage for Sources, File Format Descriptions, Objects tables, algorithms, schemes, etc. (Answering only)
Moderators: Semi-moderatos, Moderators

nexiana
nexiana

Post #121by nexiana » 25 Sep 2014, 16:32

I think you're probably already aware that testing software before it's final release isn't just that simple most of the time (even though in this particular case, it pretty much is). This is true more so, if you're not that familiar with programming or the sort. Patience is the name of the game here, and venting out your personal frustration here repeatedly can be counter productive, especially when you realize that nobody else has reported or had an issue with downloading until now.

I do hope that your issue with downloading gets solved as soon as possible. Remember we're trying our best to work on future guides (which admittedly have a lot of space for improvement) on setting up the PGE editor that are as easy to understand as possible. Just my two cents.

CaptainSwag101 M
CaptainSwag101 M
YouTube

Post #122by CaptainSwag101 » 25 Sep 2014, 22:59

This is just a minor thing, but maybe these last few posts should be moved into the Troubleshooting thread? Just a suggestion.

Also, what operating system are you using? I know for sure that the Mac OS version has the config directory issue you're describing, and maybe the Linux version does too, but I've never had issues with the Windows version.
--The Captain of Swag

Wohlstand M
Topic author, Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #123by Wohlstand » 25 Sep 2014, 23:14

CaptainSwag101 wrote:maybe the Linux version does too
Linux's application is similar to Windows, you have the file without extension which built by ELF binary format. It working perfectly on the any other Linuxes, etc.
For Mac OS I should define the special path detector which will look "../../../" for get config path in the right place

Added after 1 hour 24 minutes:
CaptainSwag101, I was made this fix, but I need test them:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/PlatGEnWoh ... d95f6bf692d1f1f4d5053d7d5aa832

You no more need put configs/data/languages directories inside ".app" directory, put them in the same folder like in the Linux or in the Windows. (I.e. pge_editor.app/Content/MacOS/ should contain only Match-O bynary)

Here is a piece witch converting absolute path to the binary application into relative name.
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/PlatGEnWoh ... 3d7d5aa832/Editor/main.cpp#L72

Also, quick question: is renaming of ".app" folder will rename the binary file or will make bugs in the Mac OS's application?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

WLDX file format

Post #124by Wohlstand » 27 Sep 2014, 22:43

Just implemented a second new file format for PGE - is a WLDX, Is a new World map file format.

Specification:
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_PGE/File format info/WLDX file description.pdf
Implementation:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/PlatGEnWoh ... ea8fa3ba9b6e687229557923a598fd

Differences with SMBX64 Standardized WLD file:
- Customizing of music
- Unlimited item numbers (SMBX WLD technically haven't limits of item numbers and have possible to hold more, but will be caused crash when you will try to open this file in the SMBX [you will get "out of range" error]).
- Unlimited "credits" text-box [SMBX giving only 5 lines for credits of world map], and you can write even "Shakespeare's poem" in them and it will be shown in the credits screen :biggrin:
- WLDX can hold flags for more than 5 playable characters which defined in the configuration pack unlike SMBX WLD.
- Global variables storing and defining (changed values of variables will be saved into gamesave file).

h2643 M
Contributor
Contributor
h2643 M
Contributor
Contributor
Website YouTube

Post #125by h2643 » 28 Sep 2014, 1:06

Now I wonder, will World Map have a Event system, like in Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World?
EDIT: Super Mario Bros. 3 also had a transport thing on a world map (remember that leaf in a water world?).
<Knux> h2643 the super computer

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #126by Squishy Rex » 28 Sep 2014, 4:22

h2643 wrote:Now I wonder, will World Map have a Event system, like in Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World?
EDIT: Super Mario Bros. 3 also had a transport thing on a world map (remember that leaf in a water world?).

Leaf Transport? Do you mean the canoe level that lets you explore the bonus room islands? Also other cool transportation like this would be the Airship retreat points. If you fail the Airship level, it moves to another point on the map. This would also be good for implementing the world map items like the Anchor, Jugem Cloud and the Hammer.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #127by Wohlstand » 28 Sep 2014, 8:23

h2643 wrote:Now I wonder, will World Map have a Event system, like in Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World?
Yes, because WLDX is an extendable, and now was opened all ways for new gameplay features.
Squishy Rex, good idea for a new item types - vehicles wich will allow free movement in one tile ID zone, for example, you can move over water but can't move over ground, and quadrocycle which allow free movement over sand, but you can't move to other tiles which are difference of tile which was be under quadrocycle/canoe when game was started.

Also my little things:
Editor now have all basic features which necessary to create/edit game universe, and after some debug works I will start engine part, and other features like lunatxt in the tools menu which requested by author of original tool or networking which will allow cooperative editing, etc. will be implemented into editor later.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

New Update! (Editor 0.2.1 Beta)

Post #128by Wohlstand » 4 Oct 2014, 18:10

-> PGE Editor 0.2.1 Beta
This is mainly a bug fix and optimization update.
Also, we have great news: we are ready to start development of the PGE engine counterpart! :clapping:
New features will be added into the editor during the engine development process, including: a cross-process module which will allow level/world testing from the editor without using SMBX, and many other useful features!

Changelog 0.2.1
Spoiler
- Added support for multi-selection by holding the shift key
- Added new PGE-only file formats LVLX and WLDX, which support more features and have fewer limitations than the SMBX formats, such as the maximum number of items
- Improved overall performance
- Smarter grid snapping of the selected items group
- Clicking a layer from the list will select which layer new items will be placed on
- Added SDL library to give better music and sound playback
- Fixed grid alignment after duplicating/pasting
- Added semi-transparent paths view for world map
- Added displaying of the items statistics to the debugger box
- Fixed config directory path on Mac OS X
- Fixed bug with item boxes updating when you switch between other applications
- Added SMBX64 standard validator which prevents you from saving a file that would cause SMBX to crash, such as exceeding SMBX's maximum level size, etc.
- Added ability to export images of only a selected portion of a level
- Added support for a Themes system. You can customize the UI and GFX of editor on your own!

Screenshots
Spoiler
Multi-selection with Shift key

Fixed move / aligning / copy-pasting

Semi-transparent paths
You can use them together with "lock paths" flag to work with scenery more convenient

Added new file formats (PGE internal)
LVLX - the future successor of SMBX LVL format. The LVLX file format is flexible and will always be backwards-compatible (can be opened in old versions of the PGE editor).
The file format is highly optimized and organized:
  • data values are separated by sections which you can place in any order
  • each value has its own marker/header which connects the data field with its array variable, you can even create new data fields or exclude unnecessary fields (unknown fields/markers are ignored, undefined fields/markers are set to their default values).
  • equal to default or unused data is never written into the file, which reduces its size to about half the size of a LVL file, even with data-markers.
  • more data types, such as strings which can hold special characters like line feed characters (for example, you can use NPC's messages with just a NewLine character instead of extra spaces)
  • file data is more readable via Notepad

Themes System
Allows you to change not just the editor icons, but even cursors and player spawn-point images:
(you can use any image for the player spawn-point, it will be attached to bottom-center of the cursor automatically)

Tinkerbell F
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
Tinkerbell F
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #129by Tinkerbell » 4 Oct 2014, 21:55

Whats with themes folder? It's empy.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #130by Wohlstand » 4 Oct 2014, 22:28

ViolaCourtes wrote:Whats with themes folder? It's empy.
Because currently is made no themes which can be included into editor as "release", but I have bunch of examples which should help with creation of them:

Examples (unpack into same Themes directory):
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_files_for_posts/Beta/themes.zip

Help and references (data structure and theme.ini references):
http://help.wohlsoft.ru/customizing/editor_themes.html

When Squishi Rex will make own theme, I will open special "themes" site page where I will put any theme packs for editor, and his theme I will add into SMBX config pack which will be config default theme.

You can switch theme in the [ Tools -> Application settings -> View ]

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #131by Wohlstand » 9 Oct 2014, 1:06

Simple dummy application which a developing engine:
This is a basic physics and rendering experiment. It give nothing gameplay features: only walk/jump. It will render all blocks and BGO's at dummy images without any stuff GFX. NPC's are not displayed.
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/EXE_tests/dummy_pge_engine.zip
It can:
- tiny CPU load because used OpenGL which calculate and draw graphics via GPU.
- load any SMBX's .lvl file (drag and drop file into application file to open by them this file)
- single-row background parallax
- move player to opposite side of section when enabled "connect sides" flag (warp section)
- when player fall under section, it will be returned to it's start position
- limiting camera to section (now working only first section, when I will make warps system, I will make support of other sections)
- no any GFX (config manager is not made), for blocks, bgo and background used BMP files which you will found with application.
Notes:
Before I will organize render algorithms, I'm not recommend to open large levels which contain a lot of blocks and BGO's, create any test levels with minimal using of blocks.
Left-right - walk
Space - jump
T - toggle fullScreen/Window
Esc - close dummy application

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #132by tb1024 » 9 Oct 2014, 2:24

Wow. Each footstep we're doing towards a usable engine is important. It's still a dummy application, but think what it'll be able to do in the future...
One question, did you use Box2d (as Veudekato suggested) or did you program the physics system?
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #133by Wohlstand » 9 Oct 2014, 8:10

tb1024 wrote:Wow. Each footstep we're doing towards a usable engine is important. It's still a dummy application, but think what it'll be able to do in the future...
One question, did you use Box2d (as Veudekato suggested) or did you program the physics system?
Box2d already used, also I planned to use Box2d before Veudekato's suggestion, and Veudekato actually learnt about Box2D from me.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #134by Veudekato » 9 Oct 2014, 12:51

yes. its not suggested. wohlstand tell that will use box2d. and i make topic about that

Added after 2 hours 49 minutes:
i dont know where i can post this . anyways.
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1gE_7ihSo

My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Tiny, but useful update

Post #135by Wohlstand » 15 Oct 2014, 3:22

Tiny, but useful for LunaLUA developers update:

Is a "Show zone range data" for physical environment (water) zones:

you can copy this string with range values and use inside your scripts to detect entering of player into this range and trigger event, for example

Updated build is available in the laboratory!
http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_laboratory/

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

New Update! (Editor 0.2.1.1)

Post #136by Wohlstand » 20 Oct 2014, 3:05

-> PGE Editor 0.2.1.1 Release!
After a number of bug fixes and tweaks, we are happy to announce the first ever stable version alternate editor for SMBX!
Bugfixes include: Fixed artifacts bugs, fixed the NPC multi-line messages- it now allows you to use the "NewLine" character instead of extra spacers, and more...

Development of the engine counterpart is already starting to go steady. The engine when combined with the editor, will be able to do things like internal level testing and in general, allow you to play games with a much better system.

Changelog 0.2.1.1
Spoiler
- Fixed zoom icons customization
- Fixed tiny mouse events of locked items bug
- Fixed mouse wheel artifacts while placing mode is enabled
- Added "Show zone range data" which will show X, Y, Width and Height of physical environment zone
- Fixed multi-line messages of NPC and events parsing error for SMBX64 level file format (found in Talkhaus's levels)
- Fixed crash on range erasing on world map

Screenshots
Spoiler

"Super Mario" UI theme by Squishy Rex is including with editor build

Fixed artifacts and displaying of target layer in placing mode was improved!

John Leagsdurg
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
John Leagsdurg
Nice citizen
Nice citizen

Post #137by John Leagsdurg » 26 Oct 2014, 13:21

It looks very great.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #138by Wohlstand » 26 Oct 2014, 19:56

PGE Engine 0.0.2 pre-alpha: little travel into "Sarasaland Adventure 2" by Otabo
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_JsNXCWa_o

John Leagsdurg
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
John Leagsdurg
Nice citizen
Nice citizen

Post #139by John Leagsdurg » 26 Oct 2014, 20:44

Wow, looks good, anyways, how much time do you think it will take to finish the engine?
Remember, don't copy the source code from the SMBX engine...

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #140by Veudekato » 26 Oct 2014, 20:57

phpBB [youtube]

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEDgU9QH5Fg

test too
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q