Ideas & Suggestions for future versions of PGE

Description: Report bugs and ask questions regarding PGE here.
Forum rules: Here you can ask any question related to PGE Project components:

Any questions related to LunaLUA project please ask HERE (LunaLUA subsection)
Any questions related to SMBX-38A (1.4.x) Chinese project please ask HERE (SMBX-38A subsection)
Moderators: Semi-moderatos, Moderators

What do you think of these suggestions?

They are perfect addition for this Engine.
Wohlstand, CaptainSwag101, John Leagsdurg, IngeniousPlatformer, Squishy Rex, Veudekato, the_end_of_WORLD, DeuxEx, CreatorForce, sky2, DatDude, Elf of H & L, hacheipe399, Fennor, Sambo, itskadenhere, Yoshimoto, Tux-Prowess, Pilzinsel64, Yoshi021, Jayce 777, Bonnies, Caketaco, KesterTank, TheCreator520, Stickman01, Jackson455, Glitchy, MidoriNeko, the GaMERDoG, P3rf3ctXZer0, Axl Gallais, 5438ASPGE71, Tricolor BombDX, 6824, higgorgao1, PaperMarioYT
73%
They are not bad, could think of some others.
Natsu, h2643, Void-the-Bat, Alucard, Josh16, ellingtonisland, lighthouse64, Saronin, Edward Elric, SamuelNM2, Sammzy, Coolio__, GianaSistersfan64
27%
I disagree with some of them (specify).
tb1024, Infobox
4%
I don't like them at all (specify).
No votes

Total voters: 52
Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #81by Sambo » 27 Jul 2014, 7:09

I was looking at the markers and noticed that gravity could be changed. Will we be able to make gravity upside-down or sideways?
Current Project:

4matsy M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
4matsy M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
Post #82by 4matsy » 28 Jul 2014, 1:45

One thing I'd like to see, that SMBX currently doesn't do, is enemies that spawn facing the player, regardless of whether said player spawned them on the left or right side of the screen (like the official Mario games do).

Another thing I'd be interested in seeing is support for more players in co-op, at least as many characters as the selected episode supports (if you don't allow multiple players to pick the same character...), which, given SMBX's current setup, would mean up to 5...but then how would the camera handle the multiple screen splits? And how would the players handle the potentially tiny split screens? They're already pretty much a hindrance during a two-player split, but a three-way split on one half of the screen and a two-way on the other...eeehh. :/ Maybe if there was an alternate co-op option where one single screen was shared and everybody was forced to stay in-bounds like in the NSMB console games? (Though, maybe have an option to turn player collision off, too, except for jump assists off each other's heads...that player collision really got in the way in the NSMB games.)

Something I'd like to see eventually (like, I know it wouldn't be worked on right away, but rather in the far future) would be some sort of online capability, so that games made with the PGE editor could be played over the internet with friends. ^_^
:D

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Website

Post #83by Kevsoft » 28 Jul 2014, 9:57

Sambo wrote:I was looking at the markers and noticed that gravity could be changed. Will we be able to make gravity upside-down or sideways?
Sure why not :P

4matsy wrote:One thing I'd like to see, that SMBX currently doesn't do, is enemies that spawn facing the player, regardless of whether said player spawned them on the left or right side of the screen (like the official Mario games do).
Sure!

Local Multiplayer with more than 4 may get's difficult because of the split-screen.

4matsy wrote:Something I'd like to see eventually (like, I know it wouldn't be worked on right away, but rather in the far future) would be some sort of online capability, so that games made with the PGE editor could be played over the internet with friends. ^_^
Belive me or not, that's why I joined the Project: Playing with friends over the internet! :biggrin:
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.start() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Wohlstand in interview:
Spoiler

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.end() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #84by Mikepjr » 31 Jul 2014, 8:07

New thought/idea just emerged into my head!
Music does not have intros and loop sections.
Why not have it so when you pick a song you have 2 parts to it.. so like.. you have a song called Butter Bridge you play in a level.. it would have 2 parts.. Butter Bridge-A.mp3 and Butter Bridge-B.mp3 A would only get played once each time you enter a level, but right after A finishes B will play but it will loop.
This will fix that issue SMBX has with music being long and repeating the intro. along with the rest of it.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #85by Wohlstand » 31 Jul 2014, 13:23

Mikepjr wrote:New thought/idea just emerged into my head!
Music does not have intros and loop sections.
Why not have it so when you pick a song you have 2 parts to it.. so like.. you have a song called Butter Bridge you play in a level.. it would have 2 parts.. Butter Bridge-A.mp3 and Butter Bridge-B.mp3 A would only get played once each time you enter a level, but right after A finishes B will play but it will loop.
This will fix that issue SMBX has with music being long and repeating the intro. along with the rest of it.
Exists methods for playing into and loop middle by markers in one file. "SMC" and "IT" formats can have original SNES music and loops like SNES. Also I can made possible use loop ranges in current musics, but you need open music file and find positions (in samples) and set loop points manually in the INI file.

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #86by Mikepjr » 31 Jul 2014, 14:31

Sadly i make music, and i have NO clue how to make SMC music, i can make OGG and MP3.. granted there is a way to add said loop points.. it's a method that RPG Maker VX Ace uses.. where you set the LOOPSTART and LOOPLENGTH, which VX Ace reads and knows to loop.
I do that with Audacity.. is that what you're speaking of when you mention the manual thing with INI files?

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #87by Wohlstand » 31 Jul 2014, 16:46

Mikepjr wrote:Sadly i make music, and i have NO clue how to make SMC music, i can make OGG and MP3.. granted there is a way to add said loop points.. it's a method that RPG Maker VX Ace uses.. where you set the LOOPSTART and LOOPLENGTH, which VX Ace reads and knows to loop.
I do that with Audacity.. is that what you're speaking of when you mention the manual thing with INI files?
I will add loopstart and loopend into the music INI file for each music file. For custom musics will need to append loop points values for section settings of LVLX format and for custom music event action. This values need for music formats which not support a the loop points values.

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #88by Mikepjr » 1 Aug 2014, 5:16

Ah alright.
Also, maybe it's been talked about.
But, i noticed that in SMBX you can not have custom sound effects just for your own project or "world".
Any plans to change that so it can read the sound effect files from the world folder if you want, rather than the main sound folder?

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #89by Veudekato » 1 Aug 2014, 12:46

Mikepjr wrote:i noticed that in SMBX you can not have custom sound effects
why? i know how but with LunaDLL and this hard..

of cource editor will can this
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #90by Wohlstand » 1 Aug 2014, 13:23

Mikepjr wrote:Ah alright.
Also, maybe it's been talked about.
But, i noticed that in SMBX you can not have custom sound effects just for your own project or "world".
Any plans to change that so it can read the sound effect files from the world folder if you want, rather than the main sound folder?
What about customizing of sound effects, I will check them. My idea is:
custom sounds will be as "sound packs", is an INI file with redefining of default sounds ID's for game play sound effects and for events with "play sound ID" I will made "play sound file" action which allow to use any extenal files.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #91by Veudekato » 1 Aug 2014, 20:01

what about 'select sound file from folder with lvl file' ? as in lunadll

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #92by Wohlstand » 1 Aug 2014, 21:07

Veudekato wrote:what about 'select sound file from folder with lvl file' ? as in lunadll
This:
for events with "play sound ID" I will made "play sound file" action which allow to use any extenal files.
means the "play sound from folder". Sound file - relative path to sound file which will be played ;-)

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #93by Mikepjr » 2 Aug 2014, 6:41

Ahh okay! Well that's all i got >_< Can't wait.

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #94by tb1024 » 3 Aug 2014, 0:00

Maybe could we place a scripting engine (lunaDLL equivalent) in Platgenwohl?
My idea for custom SFX: Custom SFX will be placed at the graphics folder with the same name from the sound folder. Ex: replace the "Stomp.extension" SFX by putting "Stomp.extension" at the graphics folder. Good?
Last edited by Veudekato on 10 Aug 2014, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not platgewlh
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #95by Wohlstand » 3 Aug 2014, 0:11

tb1024 wrote:Maybe could we place a scripting engine (lunaDLL equivalent) in Platgenwolh?
Yes, because this gives to you lot of many useful features. At first I will try to implement LunaDLL's script language as internal script engine with same modifications of game play staff. For programming NPC I will use the lua and own NPCS language.

tb1024 wrote:My idea for custom SFX: Custom SFX will be placed at the graphics folder with the same name from the sound folder. Ex: replace the "Stomp.extension" SFX by putting "Stomp.extension" at the graphics folder. Good?
Yes, for replace only some sounds and only per level/world ;-)

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #96by Sambo » 5 Aug 2014, 0:48

I just thought of something that should be implemented. The new engine should be compatible with parallaxing backgrounds. Just in case you don't know what that is, that's where the backgrounds have different layers that move at different speeds, to create a sort of 3D effect. Another thing that should be added is the ability to make a background or a layer in the background autoscroll to create a movement effect, like if you wanted moving clouds, or a moving BG for a train level, for example.
Current Project:

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #97by Wohlstand » 5 Aug 2014, 4:32

Sambo wrote:I just thought of something that should be implemented. The new engine should be compatible with parallaxing backgrounds. Just in case you don't know what that is, that's where the backgrounds have different layers that move at different speeds, to create a sort of 3D effect. Another thing that should be added is the ability to make a background or a layer in the background autoscroll to create a movement effect, like if you wanted moving clouds, or a moving BG for a train level, for example.
It WILL be implemented in the engine.
This document talking about background paralaxing and list with settings of SMBX's staff backgrounds: http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_SMBX64/Objects/Backsgrounds%20list.pdf
In the SMBX Extended I will replace some layers to the 3D multilayers. For example, "SMB3 Dungeon" in original "Super Mario All-Stars" have this parallax 3D effect.
SMBX have a big, and very big mistakes with background render:
- In the "SMB3 Blocks", "SMB3 Hills", "SMB3 Ice Hills", "SMB3 Waterfalls", "SMB3 Ice trees" have a bug with top. If your section will be higher than summary height of two background images (bottom and clouds images), you will see traces of the moving images, because it is not-drew space. this is a big graphic error. All must be drew: even empty space.
- background lenght is limited (if your section is too long (>60000 px), in the right side of section you will see same bug, which you see with a "SMB3 Blocks" and similar backgrounds), because Redigit made a simple repeat of background image by 30-35 times. I have idea for better formula for display parallax background which will use the Modulo operation.

Meowflash M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
Meowflash M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #98by Meowflash » 10 Aug 2014, 6:20

Can you add an NPC creator and more SMB1 NPCs, more SMB2 NPCs and more SMB3 NPCs? Also, I'd like Mario Forever stuff and NSMB series stuff. Oh! And don't forget support for .ogg music and music made with a Mario Paint composing program and time limits and a Dragon Coin system based on SMBX's star system and also 4P local multiplayer and 6P online multiplayer.

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #99by tb1024 » 10 Aug 2014, 6:48

Meowflash wrote:Can you add an NPC creator and more SMB1 NPCs, more SMB2 NPCs and more SMB3 NPCs?
NPC Creator is very unlikely. I have a ton of questions, such as how it'll be stored, what about using it in a episode... Wohlstand already said that there will be a Lua scripting engine. And you're probably going to be able to write anything in PGE. Wohlstand said on the IRC that the entire NPC algorithm can be replaced. In other words, NPC's entire behavior can be modified using the Lua script. Which in fact, is a much more user-friendly programming language than the almost assembler level LunaDLL Scripts. Yes. Assembler Level. In LunaDLL there's direct memory manipulation, so it's assembler level. I hope he gives us some nice variables and events (PlayerDirection, NPCDirection, OnCollision).

Wohlstand wrote:
Maybe could we place a scripting engine (lunaDLL equivalent) in Platgenwolh?
Yes, because this gives to you lot of many useful features. At first I will try to implement LunaDLL's script language as internal script engine with same modifications of game play staff. For programming NPC I will use the lua and own NPCS language.
LunaDLL is very hard. Let Lua and the npcs.txt alone, it's much more user-friendly.
Let's say the Lua engine is implemented.
What we could do like this in Lua:

Code: Select all

function Talk()
if (PlayerDirection != NPCDirection) { Message("Hey, turn back and look that!"); } else { Message("Koopa is stealing the mushrooms!"); }
end

In LunaDLL, you're gonna directly manipulate memory and manage a way to trigger the event only when the NPC talks. Taking lots of lines something we needed only three lines in Lua.
Wohl, don't implement LunaDLL. Please.
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #100by Veudekato » 10 Aug 2014, 10:22

tb1024 wrote:Can you add an NPC creator and more SMB1 NPCs, more SMB2 NPCs and more SMB3 NPCs?
NPC Creator is very unlikely. .
you will can male own npcs on the special scripts.

tb1024 wrote:LunaDLL is very hard.
NO,its very easy (for me)

tb1024 wrote:Wohl, don't implement LunaDLL. Please.
LunaDLL can do more functions - what in the interface
It would take too much space. and it is easier than lua

Return to “Troubleshooting”