Ideas & Suggestions for future versions of PGE

Description: Report bugs and ask questions regarding PGE here.
Forum rules: Here you can ask any question related to PGE Project components:

Any questions related to LunaLUA project please ask HERE (LunaLUA subsection)
Any questions related to SMBX-38A (1.4.x) Chinese project please ask HERE (SMBX-38A subsection)
Moderators: Semi-moderatos, Moderators

What do you think of these suggestions?

They are perfect addition for this Engine.
Wohlstand, CaptainSwag101, John Leagsdurg, IngeniousPlatformer, Squishy Rex, Veudekato, the_end_of_WORLD, DeuxEx, CreatorForce, sky2, DatDude, Elf of H & L, hacheipe399, Fennor, Sambo, itskadenhere, Yoshimoto, Tux-Prowess, Pilzinsel64, Yoshi021, Jayce 777, Bonnies, Caketaco, KesterTank, TheCreator520, Stickman01, Jackson455, Glitchy, MidoriNeko, the GaMERDoG, P3rf3ctXZer0, Axl Gallais, 5438ASPGE71, Tricolor BombDX, 6824, higgorgao1, PaperMarioYT
73%
They are not bad, could think of some others.
Natsu, h2643, EXEcutor-The-Bat, Alucard, Josh16, ellingtonisland, lighthouse64, Saronin, Edward Elric, SamuelNM2, Sammzy, Coolio__, GianaSistersfan64
27%
I disagree with some of them (specify).
tb1024, Infobox
4%
I don't like them at all (specify).
No votes

Total voters: 52
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #201by Wohlstand » 1 Oct 2014, 13:30

Sambo, done ;-) https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/PlatGEnWoh ... f9794d9a6c5124206339300d710682

I'm now going to be offline for a bit. But when I return, I plan to make some changes to the guides, along with updating the Beta release.
That all, plus I'm starting the work on the engine.

The editor now can actually do everything which is necessary to create and edit a game universe, with even the LVLX/WLDX formats implementation being completed.
This means that I'll now start the counterpart engine's development, and the editor's next update should be probably released alongside the engine's development process.

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #202by Sambo » 3 Oct 2014, 8:21

Thanks. :)
There's a "find" function in the level editor. This is a good feature, but why not add a "replace" function as well?
Current Project:

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #203by Wohlstand » 3 Oct 2014, 11:47

Sambo wrote:There's a "find" function in the level editor. This is a good feature, but why not add a "replace" function as well?
Good idea (better implementation of "swap blocks" in the SMBX, but it will allow find any items and replace settings of them)
I will write this into plan, but I will do it with engine development process.

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #204by Sambo » 9 Oct 2014, 8:01

Ok. That sounds good. Thanks :)
I noticed you can't roll your cursor over an item to see its ID in the tileset item box. You should probably add that feature.
Current Project:

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #205by Squishy Rex » 23 Oct 2014, 6:45

I don't know if this was mentioned already or not, but what about more enemy SFX. For instance, in SMW, Swooper (the Bat) makes a flapping noise when it flies down from the roof. The SMB3 Boos made that signature laugh and Bullies, although technically not in any of the 2D platformers made their own noises both when being hit and attacking the player. I suppose some player SFX could be good as well, like Mario's "lucky" phrase from SMA2 when he gets a 1-Up, though not everyone likes player SFX, so maybe they could be toggled on and off.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #206by Veudekato » 23 Oct 2014, 17:50

i think poll should be deleted, becouse many users tell that he wants (idea) . and poll is not need. my opinion.
Squishy Rex , good idea. i think in scripts should be dir of sound.
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

John Leagsdurg
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
John Leagsdurg
Nice citizen
Nice citizen

Post #207by John Leagsdurg » 25 Oct 2014, 0:01

Hey Wohlstand, i've got a suggestion for the engine and editor, there could be a feature where there's a editor to make a custom HUD with specific elements, like some text, variables, containers, anything you want in the HUD. That would be nice for the engine.
Last edited by h2643 on 25 Oct 2014, 1:24, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Moved post from the "Engine Development" section into "Troubleshooting" section and please, all the ideas and suggestions you want to post, post in this topic.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #208by Wohlstand » 25 Oct 2014, 3:53

John Leagsdurg wrote:Hey Wohlstand, i've got a suggestion for the engine and editor, there could be a feature where there's a editor to make a custom HUD with specific elements, like some text, variables, containers, anything you want in the HUD. That would be nice for the engine.
1) you can edit LVLX-file via notepad and insert between any data sections (XXX - begin of data section which named 'XXX' and XXX_END - end of same data section. Put text between XXX_END and YYY) this text:

Code: Select all

JOKES
Write any text here
Second message...
etc...
JOKES_END

and when you try to open this file in the editor, you will see pop-up messages with your text lines, but when you will save file via editor, those messages will be removed.
2) WLDX format supports global variables which will can be used for events (instead old SMBX-evens I will make the action-style evens which will be more flexible and compactly. Main difference those events is actions list. Each event have special list of event commands which you was add into this list. This way give possible to apply conditions, loops in one event, delays between commands, etc.)

3) Text labels is a good thing, and I will add them into development plan

4) Anything will be editable and programmable, and you can make HUD any by your own.

John Leagsdurg
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
John Leagsdurg
Nice citizen
Nice citizen

Post #209by John Leagsdurg » 25 Oct 2014, 15:41

And...it is possible to do Metroidvania games like Metroid, including functions for items for weapons, upgrades, ammo, and extra stuff, and Megaman-like games (custom weapons, power-ups, etc.)?
When both the engine and editor will be officially released, i have thinked to make a mixed genre platformer game with it, featuring some metroidvania elements, and a health system for the player (including a graphical bar for the HUD), and etc.

There should be aswell also a easy programming system like the Drag n Drop system in Game Maker and the event system in RPG Maker series.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #210by Veudekato » 25 Oct 2014, 19:19

I think yes(if someone will make this). all elements* will edited by scripts

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #211by Wohlstand » 27 Oct 2014, 0:47

(17:52:08) Elsa: Wohlstand i have suggestions regarding the tileset editor
(17:52:31) Elsa: make the arrow things stay still when you edit the size of the tileset
(17:52:45) Elsa: and also, i tried to type in 20 as the new height of my tileset
(17:53:02) Elsa: and it was 2 for a moment and i lost everything that wasn't on rows 1 and 2
(17:53:25) Elsa: can you please make it so it doesn't erase everything outside the boundaries when you change the size of the tileset
It erasing when you decreasing size, because you removing no more using cells. But good idea for reserved tiles which should add back when you increase size after decrease.

sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend
sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #212by sky2 » 12 Nov 2014, 1:54

Kinda re-digging this whole topic again but I have a one, simple question - when we will start making the whole internal graphics editor thing? I know now the development mainly focuses on the PGE Engine, but having internal GFX editor would be extremely awesome and helpful - it can be even integrated somehow with GIFS2PNG and PNG2GIFS.
Poof!

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #213by tb1024 » 12 Nov 2014, 16:18

sky2 wrote:Kinda re-digging this whole topic again but I have a one, simple question - when we will start making the whole internal graphics editor thing? I know now the development mainly focuses on the PGE Engine, but having internal GFX editor would be extremely awesome and helpful - it can be even integrated somehow with GIFS2PNG and PNG2GIFS.
I think they won't do that, unless PGE is going to have its own graphics format.
It will be just an additional charge to Wohlstand. He's probably having a hard time developing its own physics system to perfection, and the engine.
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #214by Veudekato » 12 Nov 2014, 18:49

i dont understood you . PGE uses .PNG . You can conver gif to png with GIF2PNG

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #215by Wohlstand » 12 Nov 2014, 19:38

tb1024 wrote:I think they won't do that, unless PGE is going to have its own graphics format.
It will be just an additional charge to Wohlstand. He's probably having a hard time developing its own physics system to perfection, and the engine.
He means additional editing tool which helps you draw sprites for game (Like, re-color tool, palette creator which will automatically recolor sprite. You can use this gimmik to make characters of difference colors for each level but using of alone gray-scaled image file, for example; Also saving/loading masked gif format without any troubles with masks). PGE will use .png at first format and masked .gif+m.gif which need to save compatibility with SMBX's episodes.

Christian07 M
Good citizen
Good citizen
Christian07 M
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #216by Christian07 » 17 Nov 2014, 22:13

Don't know if those are already in the engine, or if this was already suggested, but I'd like the debugger and the fill button in the world map editor.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #217by Wohlstand » 17 Nov 2014, 22:54

Christian07 wrote:Don't know if those are already in the engine, or if this was already suggested, but I'd like the debugger and the fill button in the world map editor.
For both: worlds and levels already implemented line tool and square fill tools:
http://help.wohlsoft.ru/levelediting/level_items_tool_squarefill.html and also "Overwrite mode" which will remove collided items when you placing new.

Also you have debugger in the [view -> debugger] which will display mouse position, give able to jump into any coordinate of map, and display statistics about placed items.

http://help.wohlsoft.ru/tools/debugger.html (Sorry, information on that page partially legacy, and I should update them)

Christian07 M
Good citizen
Good citizen
Christian07 M
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #218by Christian07 » 18 Nov 2014, 19:29

Oh, okay then.

FanofSMBX
Contributor
Contributor
FanofSMBX
Contributor
Contributor

Post #219by FanofSMBX » 27 Nov 2014, 21:03

In final version could you please make a theme where Sednaiur's SMB3 tiles be able to all be used together(

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #220by Wohlstand » 27 Nov 2014, 21:09

FanofSMBX wrote:In final version could you please make a theme where Sednaiur's SMB3 tiles be able to all be used together(
I think, with Sednaiur's packs I can build SMBXtended faster, I will merge his packs into united configuration package which will contain all in one, and also will contain new NPC's (current will be re-programmed, because have errors and will be extended (like adding new frames for big boo and for SMW-koopas, like rotating animation (left-to-right and back)) )

Return to “Troubleshooting”