Ideas & Suggestions for future versions of PGE

Description: Report bugs and ask questions regarding PGE here.
Forum rules: Here you can ask any question related to PGE Project components:

Any questions related to LunaLUA project please ask HERE (LunaLUA subsection)
Any questions related to SMBX-38A (1.4.x) Chinese project please ask HERE (SMBX-38A subsection)
Moderators: Semi-moderatos, Moderators

What do you think of these suggestions?

They are perfect addition for this Engine.
Wohlstand, CaptainSwag101, John Leagsdurg, IngeniousPlatformer, Squishy Rex, Veudekato, the_end_of_WORLD, DeuxEx, CreatorForce, sky2, DatDude, Elf of H & L, hacheipe399, Fennor, Sambo, itskadenhere, Yoshimoto, Tux-Prowess, Pilzinsel64, Yoshi021, Jayce 777, Bonnies, Caketaco, KesterTank, TheCreator520, Stickman01, Jackson455, Glitchy, MidoriNeko, the GaMERDoG, P3rf3ctXZer0, Axl Gallais, 5438ASPGE71, 3color BombDX, 6824, higgorgao1, PaperMarioYT
73%
They are not bad, could think of some others.
Natsu, h2643, Void, Alucard, Josh16, ellingtonisland, lighthouse64, Saronin, Edward Elric, SamuelNM2, Sammzy, Coolio__, GianaSistersfan64
27%
I disagree with some of them (specify).
tb1024, Infobox
4%
I don't like them at all (specify).
No votes

Total voters: 52
CaptainSwag101 M
Duke
Duke
CaptainSwag101 M
Duke
Duke
YouTube

Post #21by CaptainSwag101 » 29 May 2014, 9:11

I think special gravity would be a great addition to the engine! Also, having dangerous areas like water that hurts you, but slowly, after a specific time. Another idea I have is to add custom scripting of actions and events, such as having the player automatically move to a specific place without pressing any buttons, or spawning new enemies or blocks without using layers.
--The Captain of Swag

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #22by Wohlstand » 29 May 2014, 15:18

CaptainSwag101 wrote:Another idea I have is to add custom scripting of actions and events, such as having the player automatically move to a specific place without pressing any buttons, or spawning new enemies or blocks without using layers.
Oh, with them I have idea to make with "lvlx" the "lvlv", what means the "Video": little theater, where ALL items - actors, and "sections" will be as PowePoint slides. All items will be acting by special event list.
And, my little idea: dialog boxed to characters (PCs and NPCs) by event with direct Point to target character:

h2643 M
Contributor
Contributor
h2643 M
Contributor
Contributor
YouTube

Post #23by h2643 » 29 May 2014, 15:54

Great idea! I really like that.
<Knux> h2643 the super computer

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #24by Wohlstand » 8 Jun 2014, 21:40

Dialog from SMBX Froums
Murmursixtyfour wrote:This is a request to the programmer of SMBX for the next SMBX update. Since I have a camera issue while the screen splits during multiplayer, that is I can't see much vertically during horizontal split-screen and vice versa, I would love to have a new key/button for scrolling the camera.

So when the screen splits vertically, players would press the camera-button to scroll the camera to where the player-character heads.
camera.jpg

As for the horizontal split-screen, players, may want to press the mentioned button to see what's below them; and hold up and press that button to see what's above them.

Thank you for your understanding.
SUpER mario sonic wrote:do you dont know? smbx update will never! project stoped . but i know some other smbx editors in developinng -as PlatGEnWohl.
Redigit is maker. but now he makink terraria becouse smbx unlegal!
GrätselBüchner wrote:
SUpER mario sonic wrote:do you dont know? smbx update will never! project stoped . but i know some other smbx editors in developinng -as PlatGEnWohl.
Redigit is maker. but now he makink terraria becouse smbx unlegal!

stoped, developinng, making, becouse, unlegal.

lol Smbx is not unlegal. Also yeah the original creator stopped working on it you should ask Wohlstand who has replied here if he can do it so.
Wohlstand wrote:My answer:
I will consider your question and I will save this, and when I will start coding of engine part, I can get this for implementing. I think, this option must be exist. Especially in original SMW for SNES it already implemented.

IngeniousPlatformer
Passerby
Passerby
IngeniousPlatformer
Passerby
Passerby

Post #25by IngeniousPlatformer » 10 Jun 2014, 23:20

I have some ideas that weren't in smbx that could improve this engine:
[*]Optional Password Protection: To keep players from cheating and the creator's worlds/levels safe from being stolen/edited.
[*]Save options: SMBX used a dialog box simliar to super mario allstars except you couldn't save in any level except a true hub level. This is good to have but I think some other optional ways may be good to such as:
[*]A block that when hit spawns the question: "Would you like to Save?" and has the options: "Yes" or "No."
[*]Optional auto-saving from specific levels on completion, could be a check box on the level tile in the editor.
[*]Optional SMW style dialog could appear specific levels on completion, could be a check box on the level tile in the editor.
[*]Optional Game Over "Continue without Save," "Save & Continue," "Save & Quit," and "Quit" options.
[*]A Game Over screen... smbx auto saves (which it shouldn't btw) you with zero coins, three lives, zero points, and just plops you back on the title screen without such a screen.
[*]Optional Game Setting to allow players to exit a completed level... of course not keeping any gained powerups/1ups that they got while in said level to prevent powerup/1up farming.

Squishy Rex M
Count
Count
Squishy Rex M
Count
Count

Post #26by Squishy Rex » 13 Jun 2014, 5:49

Okay, here's a small suggestion I think would make a cool addition to the Transport NPCs. This was originally in the Cool Screenshots for SMBX on the old NSMBX Forums and users were discussing ways on how to implement it, though no-one could come up with a good NPC replacement. It was dubbed the Koopa Clown Mech and you may have seen it before. So what do you all think?

Koopa Clown Mech:
Spoiler

If anyone is interested, yes I have the sprite sheet.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Website

Post #27by Kevsoft » 13 Jun 2014, 15:39

Woho, nice sprite ;D

Adding a riding support will be done into the engine. We'll see how progress is doing.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.start() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Wohlstand in interview:
Spoiler

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.end() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #28by Mikepjr » 24 Jun 2014, 17:27

I think, i'd like to see tiles work more like they do in RPG Maker.
Rather then doing each tile individually, and having to use some sort of black and white tile to dictate what is seen.
It can all be part of a tileset maybe, or at least group more tiles together, like for ground graphics.
Point is, it's very difficult in how SMBX has it set up.

Having to work with each tile separately makes work flow very difficult, and consumes time.
I think one large sheet done up in a PNG format would be better, with the alpha parts built in.
I also don't know about what this software will have, but i would like to see more options for sprite sizes, like the player.
Basically i'd like to be able to change "Mario" or who ever to be maybe taller.. or wider.
SMBX does a lot wrong in my opinion, and i hope that a lot in this software being worked on here ends up being better.

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Website

Post #29by Kevsoft » 24 Jun 2014, 19:52

Mikepjr wrote:It can all be part of a tileset maybe, or at least group more tiles together, like for ground graphics.
Wohlstand and me already have a gourpbox in planning. He wanna call it "Bookmarks" but i thinks this name is a bit misleading :biggrin:

Mikepjr wrote:I think one large sheet done up in a PNG format would be better, with the alpha parts built in.
Maybe later, the main purpos is the customization. Custom Tiles... ect... First we have to get the whole engine running :wink:

Mikepjr wrote:Basically i'd like to be able to change "Mario" or who ever to be maybe taller.. or wider.
Will be implemented, as this engine should be at much open as possible.
Wohlstand in interview:
Spoiler

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #30by Wohlstand » 24 Jun 2014, 20:07

Kevsoft wrote:I think one large sheet done up in a PNG format would be better, with the alpha parts built in.
Already possible using PNG, you only to convert all graphics into PNG (for fast converting from a pair of GIFs(src+mask) to a single PNG with it's own transparency, I plan to create a batch utility), and rename the image files in configs INI-files. But it will not be useful without the engine part. For saving compatibility with SMBX levels, in INI Files was set using only GIFs with mask pair.
You can make alpha-channel (starts from 0.1-Alpha) with a gray-grade color of a mask (in SMBX it will create glitches (see my article about the transparency test) ).

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #31by Mikepjr » 24 Jun 2014, 22:26

Ah, well then, good to know.
Looking forward to it.
I have another idea..
SMBX does not allow for any customization of the status area at the top of the screen during play.
You're always stuck with that super mario world look to it.
It would be awesome to at least be able to change the graphics used for the item box and font for text.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #32by Wohlstand » 24 Jun 2014, 22:51

Mikepjr wrote:It would be awesome to at least be able to change the graphics used for the item box and font for text.
As I see, in SMBX these graphics are included inside EXE. I wanna place these graphics in the graphics folder, and make it possible to change them.
About fonts, I will use TTF-fonts instead of the drawn fonts which are used in SMBX, because I want to make it possible to write messages in any language and in any letter, for allowing the possibility to create games/episodes in the main native languages of world (Not only English, And German (umlaut characters), Spanish, French, Russian, which have their own letters in the alphabet, but even Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, etc. 65545 letters of UTF-8 will be helpful :cool: ). In SMBX it's possible to only write with English characters, other characters don't get displayed because there isn't any image/there isn't any variable for displaying the letter, etc.

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #33by Mikepjr » 25 Jun 2014, 18:10

Ah, okay. I see.
Using TTF-fonts might not look right though.
It might be too high resolution and may not match the rest of the graphics aesthetically.
But any improvement over SMBX you can make is a good improvement in my opinion.

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Website

Post #34by Kevsoft » 25 Jun 2014, 19:25

There are pixel TTF-fonts outside the web, I have got one installed by a game. So for me it would do it :good:
Wohlstand in interview:
Spoiler

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #35by Wohlstand » 25 Jun 2014, 20:01

Don't forget the fact that a lot of TTF font creation and editing tools exist, and everybody can draw their own font :cool:

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #36by Sambo » 27 Jun 2014, 4:06

There should be sections in the world map. It's annoying to have to make the whole world map in 1 giant section.

Block collision should work like in SMW, where you can jump through the bottom of slopes. This way you could make blocks that were like the sizeable blocks in SMBX, but with slopes in them.
Current Project:

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #37by Wohlstand » 27 Jun 2014, 13:32

Sambo wrote:There should be sections in the world map
I like this idea, I had idea for made episode settings and world map separately, with multi-world maps support, but multi-section world map is better, for display all differences world maps in one file :cool:
SMBX .wld supports only one section, but new file will be have multiple sections per map. .wldx will be defined in future (at first, will be used only single-section SMBX-compatible .wld).

Sambo wrote:Block collision should work like in SMW, where you can jump through the bottom of slopes. This way you could make blocks that were like the sizeable blocks in SMBX, but with slopes in them.
You give me idea for diagonal sizable blocks :good:

Here I wrote about future "SMBX Extended" config, what will contains improved and new Mario items, and this config will continue the SMBX project as Mario Fan game series:
http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=123
Don't forget about "SMBX 1.3" config, what included into my test builts, it will be saved statically for compatible with old SMBX's (for example, for use your old customized SMBX episodes before transfer them into new "SMBX Extended", what need to update some graphics: (convert into PNG, add forgotten frames into sprite, etc.)).

Here discussion about physics for future engine part:
http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=118

Added after 2 hours 16 minutes:
Few time ago I got idea for gameplay:
While I see this screenshot:
1) Made loading capacity limit for aircrafts (As clown car), I.e. if too many objects stay on them, It will be fall down while player don't drop excess items/enemies, stays on aircraft.
2) If aircraft fall with too fast speed, it will explode.
3) Also possible to break aircraft (Example, if bullet bill will beat clowncar, player character will not get hurt (as SMBX), but aircraft will get damage, and if damage is be too big, aircraft will fall down (and, same: if fall speed too large, it will explode, else, it will never can fly, if player didn't repair them)).

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #38by Sambo » 28 Jun 2014, 1:27

Wohlstand wrote:1) Made loading capacity limit for aircrafts (As clown car), I.e. if too many objects stay on them, It will be fall down while player don't drop excess items/enemies, stays on aircraft.
2) If aircraft fall with too fast speed, it will explode.
3) Also possible to break aircraft (Example, if bullet bill will beat clowncar, player character will not get hurt (as SMBX), but aircraft will get damage, and if damage is be too big, aircraft will fall down (and, same: if fall speed too large, it will explode, else, it will never can fly, if player didn't repair them))
That sounds like a good feature, it could be used to make interesting gimmicks in a level.

I would like it if something like these were implemented:
Spoiler
Current Project:

h2643 M
Contributor
Contributor
h2643 M
Contributor
Contributor
YouTube

Post #39by h2643 » 28 Jun 2014, 23:12

Maybe Wohlstand can also implement Flying ? Blocks? Valtteri, in his third episode Return to Dinosaur Land, made them, but they're attached to invinsible Koopa Paratroopas and Wings are attached to them too. It creates a effect that the ? Block is flying. Valtteri is so smart.
Spoiler
If those blocks will be implemented in the engine, it won't take your time anymore to make them attached to Paratroopas and make Wings attached to Blocks.
But still, this is just a suggestion. Hope my English is understandable.
<Knux> h2643 the super computer

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #40by Wohlstand » 28 Jun 2014, 23:20

h2643 wrote:Maybe Wohlstand can also implement Flying ? Blocks? Valtteri, in his third episode Return to Dinosaur Land, made them, but they're just attached to invinsible Koopa Paratroopas and Wings are attached to them too. It creates a effect that the ? Block is flying. Valtteri is so smart.

Спойлер

If those blocks will be implemented in the engine, it won't take your time anymore to make them attached to Paratroopas and make Wings attached to Blocks.
But still, this is just a suggestion. Hope my English is understandable.
I think, this possible implement, as whole NPC. NPC-Container, what spawn his contents on hit and instantly transforms into grayed block. I will note it as new NPC for "SMBX Extended" config :wink:

Return to “Troubleshooting”