Ideas & Suggestions for future versions of PGE

Description: Report bugs and ask questions regarding PGE here.
Forum rules: Here you can ask any question related to PGE Project components:

Any questions related to LunaLUA project please ask HERE (LunaLUA subsection)
Any questions related to SMBX-38A (1.4.x) Chinese project please ask HERE (SMBX-38A subsection)
Moderators: Semi-moderatos, Moderators

What do you think of these suggestions?

They are perfect addition for this Engine.
Wohlstand, CaptainSwag101, John Leagsdurg, IngeniousPlatformer, Squishy Rex, Veudekato, the_end_of_WORLD, DeuxEx, CreatorForce, sky2, DatDude, Elf of H & L, hacheipe399, Fennor, Sambo, itskadenhere, Yoshimoto, Tux-Prowess, Pilzinsel64, Yoshi021, Jayce 777, Bonnies, Caketaco, KesterTank, TheCreator520, Stickman01, Jackson455, Glitchy, MidoriNeko, the GaMERDoG, P3rf3ctXZer0, Axl Gallais, 5438ASPGE71, Tricolor BombDX, 6824, higgorgao1, PaperMarioYT
73%
They are not bad, could think of some others.
Natsu, h2643, EXEcutor-The-Bat, Alucard, Josh16, ellingtonisland, lighthouse64, Saronin, Edward Elric, SamuelNM2, Sammzy, Coolio__, GianaSistersfan64
27%
I disagree with some of them (specify).
tb1024, Infobox
4%
I don't like them at all (specify).
No votes

Total voters: 52
DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend
DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #181by DeuxEx » 7 Sep 2014, 19:16

I think that:
first necessary to mount the engine that is the most important part.
For the second insert other implementations! :warning:

CaptainSwag101 M
CaptainSwag101 M
YouTube

Post #182by CaptainSwag101 » 9 Sep 2014, 1:00

I have an idea for BGOs, NPCs and possibly even player characters: could we implement a way to change the Z-Offset/Sorting value (I.E. The foreground/background ordering property of BGOs) during an event, etc? For example, you have an NPC who gets scared, so the NPC runs away and jumps BEHIND a BGO of grass and hides, and the NPC's Z-Offset is changed so that it is now drawn behind BGO objects, but normal objects and items still appear in front of the BGO objects. I know it sounds complicated, so I apologize if my idea isn't clear.
--The Captain of Swag

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #183by Wohlstand » 9 Sep 2014, 1:02

CaptainSwag101 wrote:I have an idea for BGOs, NPCs and possibly even player characters: could we implement a way to change the Z-Offset/Sorting value (I.E. The foreground/background ordering property of BGOs) during an event, etc? For example, you have an NPC who gets scared, so the NPC runs away and jumps BEHIND a BGO of grass and hides, and the NPC's Z-Offset is changed so that it is now drawn behind BGO objects, but normal objects and items still appear in front of the BGO objects. I know it sounds complicated, so I apologize if my idea isn't clear.
Oh, good idea :D
And because I made specification of "action-styled" events, I can make event "change Item Properties", and by special connection, we will able change even Z-value of item ;-)

Meowflash M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
Meowflash M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #184by Meowflash » 9 Sep 2014, 3:33

It should come with an episode manager and a GFX pack manager.

Alucard
Our friend
Our friend
Alucard
Our friend
Our friend

Post #185by Alucard » 9 Sep 2014, 6:51

Here is a couple of suggestions from me:
1. Infinite checkpoints per level. Pretty self explanatory. Being able to have only one checkpoint per level makes me want to rate all SMBX levels that are too long at most 2/10.
2. Solid-on-top slopes. Combine slopes and jump-trough platforms. For instance: stairs in ghost houses or for CastleVania config.
3. World map sections and borders. I always found SMBX world maps being too "open". Being able to limit what player can see will reduce efforts needed for overworld designer to create good world maps. Also it can create more claustrophobic feel to "indoor" maps like caves.
4. More special variables for NPC`s. 8 for normal NPC`s and 17 for containers seem enough. This allow NPC scripters to be more flexible with coding and not to rely on hardcoded variables.
5. Attach layers to player characters. Many gimmicks can be created using this option.

More events and actions for events:
1. Trigger event when level is restarted certain amount of times in a row, like Mercy Mode in NsmbWII or SM3D series, or in DCKR.
2. Action: Destroy Layer. This, when called, destroys all blocks, BGO`s and NPC`s that is on target layer. Their "death/broken" and "Layer Empty" events are also triggered. Good for creating death effects for layer&event driven custom bosses
3. Action: Create effect at X/Y. Again for making events less ugly.
4. Conditional branches for event algorithms. This allows events to do(or don`t) certain stuff depending on specific circumstances (like position of player character, global variable value, random value, powerup(or temporary one) status, timer status, etc.) This will allow to create even more complex events and usem as base for even more bizzare gimmicks.

Hope these things will be good addition for such promising project. And sorry, if something is already suggested. :wacko:

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #186by Sambo » 11 Sep 2014, 8:25

I think those are good ideas. Conditional branches have already been planned, though.

I think another thing that should be added is the ability to put flags on NPCs that are inside blocks, so that, for example, the user can set a mushroom in a box to "don't move" or make a friendly Goomba that talks to the player come out of the box.
Current Project:

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #187by Squishy Rex » 12 Sep 2014, 3:05

Sambo wrote:I think another thing that should be added is the ability to put flags on NPCs that are inside blocks, so that, for example, the user can set a mushroom in a box to "don't move" or make a friendly Goomba that talks to the player come out of the box.

Or to add to that further, what about being able to set the number of NPCs that come out of the Block like Coins. Say you place five bombs in a block, you then can hit the block five times to dispense 1 bomb per hit. Basically the same principle of choosing how many coins are inside a block, except this supports every other NPC as well.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

kil
Contributor
Contributor
kil
Contributor
Contributor

Post #188by kil » 13 Sep 2014, 7:42

I wouldn't worry about putting lunadll in pge. It doesn't really fit in pge anyway because PGE is already an open engine, but lunadll is very specific to smbx and windows API anda fixed memory format. PGE wouldn't need to worry about memory editing since all of the data structures will be known to designers. And also, I'm making a new interpreted scripting language for lunadll anyway, so might as well just forget about the old one scripts format.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #189by Wohlstand » 13 Sep 2014, 12:29

kil wrote:I wouldn't worry about putting lunadll in pge. It doesn't really fit in pge anyway because PGE is already an open engine, but lunadll is very specific to smbx and windows API anda fixed memory format. PGE wouldn't need to worry about memory editing since all of the data structures will be known to designers. And also, I'm making a new interpreted scripting language for lunadll anyway, so might as well just forget about the old one scripts format.
Hi, kil, LunaDLL script interpreter can be as integrated module of engine part which allow any available by LunaDLL manipulates and I will apply Lua module to as new scripting system. Also, NPC's algorithms will be written in Lua (and additional NPCS script which my own but concept only), also some block's algorithms too (switches, playable switches, invisible block, etc.).
Also, all will be written on the C++, but I'm using mingw compiler (you can get Qt 5 (which is used by PGE) and MinGW will be installed too), because writing cross-platform (should be compilable under Linux and under MacOS X, I have Linux, but only CaptainSwag has MacOS).

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #190by tb1024 » 14 Sep 2014, 19:46

I now think that pallete system should go through reformulation.
If it only accepts grayscale hue, the graphic's practically monochrome with shading.
I think that the engine, instead of it, it should be able to detect HSV Hue and Saturation and replace these values, maintaining the brightness.
For example: Engine detects yellow hue and maximum saturation. Replace it with red hue and 50% saturation. Brightness is maintained as-is.
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

zlakerboy357 F
Passerby
Passerby
zlakerboy357 F
Passerby
Passerby
Post #191by zlakerboy357 » 15 Sep 2014, 16:47

So far this is turning out to be a great engine. This is even beating SMBX and it's still Beta 2, though it has some flaws that I think should be fixed.

- First off is that when you're using the Level item box (the huge box in the left side) and then open Chrome for example to check your emails it scrolls up again when you open PGE. That's a bug that really bugs me :/
- Second thing is that the when you're adding stuff for your custom tileset (in PGE) it should be organized like the level item box. It's a bit annoying to search the NPC/Block/BGO/etc. when it's kinda messy.

But that's the only few complaints I got. Otherwise I simply can't wait for the full version. Kudos for your work Wohlstand :)

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #192by Wohlstand » 15 Sep 2014, 17:20

zlakerboy357 wrote:- First off is that when you're using the Level item box (the huge box in the left side) and then open Chrome for example to check your emails it scrolls up again when you open PGE. That's a bug that really bugs me :/
this is a issue because when you change activity state of subWindow, should be updated item boxes, because need display custom graphics from target level file (don't forget, each level always have own set of custom graphics), But, It shoudn't be updated on WHOLE WINDOW activity change.

zlakerboy357 wrote:- Second thing is that the when you're adding stuff for your custom tileset (in PGE) it should be organized like the level item box. It's a bit annoying to search the NPC/Block/BGO/etc. when it's kinda messy.
Regular Item box have "[custom]" category which display all your customized items by selected type. Available filter search by item name and by ID.
Is you mean filter search by tileset title? I think, good idea ;-)

zlakerboy357 F
Passerby
Passerby
zlakerboy357 F
Passerby
Passerby
Post #193by zlakerboy357 » 16 Sep 2014, 10:17

Well what I meant about the custom tileset is that it's kinda annyoing to search through all whole list of blocks when you're looking for a SMW Purple Pipe for example. I honestly think it should be more organized like the level item box. It'll be a lot quicker and saves me a lot of time.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #194by Veudekato » 16 Sep 2014, 19:04

you can see search box on top..
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #195by Sambo » 28 Sep 2014, 6:05

The tileset item box needs to have an option for vertical tabs. It's a bit annoying to press little buttons to see more tabs. Also, the "New Tileset" Button needs to stay visible after a tileset is added to the category.

By the way, this program is pretty awesome so far. Looking forward to trying out the engine. :)
Current Project:

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #196by Wohlstand » 28 Sep 2014, 8:35

Sambo wrote:The tileset item box needs to have an option for vertical tabs. It's a bit annoying to press little buttons to see more tabs. Also, the "New Tileset" Button needs to stay visible after a tileset is added to the category.
Tileset item box - is a flexible toolbox, you can resize them and it can be vertical: all tileset are flowing. Also you can move tileset item box into right part of editor's window and it will be docked to them (horisontal bottom or vertical left/right)

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #197by Sambo » 30 Sep 2014, 5:05

Wohlstand wrote:Tileset item box - is a flexible toolbox, you can resize them and it can be vertical: all tileset are flowing. Also you can move tileset item box into right part of editor's window and it will be docked to them (horisontal bottom or vertical left/right)
I know you can resize the box and dock it to the side and stuff. :) I was talking about the tabs on the top of the box that say "Misc.," "Super Mario Bros.," "Super Mario Bros. 2," etc. Those should be able to be set vertical.
Also, I was just looking at the tileset editor and noticed that the "Current Level/World Specific" option is only visible if you press the "New Tileset" button in the tileset window. You should probably fix that. It should have "episode specific" as an option too, just in case you had certain custom special blocks that you wanted to use in the whole episode.
Current Project:

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #198by Wohlstand » 30 Sep 2014, 6:45

Sambo wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:Tileset item box - is a flexible toolbox, you can resize them and it can be vertical: all tileset are flowing. Also you can move tileset item box into right part of editor's window and it will be docked to them (horisontal bottom or vertical left/right)
I know you can resize the box and dock it to the side and stuff. :) I was talking about the tabs on the top of the box that say "Misc.," "Super Mario Bros.," "Super Mario Bros. 2," etc. Those should be able to be set vertical.
Also, I was just looking at the tileset editor and noticed that the "Current Level/World Specific" option is only visible if you press the "New Tileset" button in the tileset window. You should probably fix that. It should have "episode specific" as an option too, just in case you had certain custom special blocks that you wanted to use in the whole episode.
Oh, I will add into "View" tab of application settings the tabs direction of tileset item box too.

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #199by Squishy Rex » 30 Sep 2014, 15:57

I saw this in the E3 demo of Mario Maker and I thought it might be a useful tool for this editor. When play-testing a level in Mario Maker, the editor records how the course was run and when you return to the editing feature you can view a trail of transparent Marios from where the character ran in play mode. These shadow Marios make for a useful tool when adjusting block positions, the size of pits and things like that. Here's an image of what I mean:
Spoiler
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #200by Sambo » 1 Oct 2014, 5:46

I was working with the editor, and I noticed that it places objects on the layer that you have selected now. This could be useful, but if you don't have the "layers" tab visible, there is no indication of which layer you are editing, so you could forget you weren't on the "Default" layer and end up placing a bunch of objects on the wrong layer. :comando: To fix this I would suggest something like in the SMBX editor where it attaches the name of the layer you are editing to the cursor.
Current Project:

Return to “Troubleshooting”