Ideas & Suggestions for future versions of PGE

Description: It's archive, posting new is here http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

What do you think of these suggestions?

They are perfect addition for this Engine.
Wohlstand, CaptainSwag101, John Leagsdurg, IngeniousPlatformer, Squishy Rex, Veudekato, the_end_of_WORLD, DeuxEx, CreatorForce, sky2, DatDude, Yingchun Soul, hacheipe399, Fennor, Sambo, itskadenhere, Yoshimoto, Tux-Prowess, Pilzinsel64, Yoshi021, Jayce 777, Bonnies, Caketaco, KesterTank, Newspaper Zombie, Stickman01, Jackson455, Glitchy, Greendan, the GaMERDoG, P3rf3ctXZer0, Axl Gallais, 5438ASPGE71, 3color BombDX, 6824, higgorgao1, anonymousmariofan17
73%
They are not bad, could think of some others.
Natsu, h2643, Void, Alucard, Josh16, ellingtonisland, lighthouse64, Saronin, Edward Elric, SamuelNM2, Sammzy, kitkat, GianaSistersfan64
27%
I disagree with some of them (specify).
tb1024, Infobox
4%
I don't like them at all (specify).
No votes

Total voters: 52
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
English Pronouns: he/him
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #381by Wohlstand » 15 Aug 2016, 13:48

Yoshi021 wrote:1) If you mean to make custom graphics that will be implemented in the future
He meant user-friendly editing of the custom configs (since I recently implemented full support of block-*.ini, background-*.ini, background2-*.ini, tile-*.ini, scene-*.ini, path-*.ini, level-*.ini custom config files to customize many features from animation metrics to internal roles, even extra switch buttons!)

Shadowblitz16 wrote:- more zelda 2 and metroid content and in their separate categories
Yoshi021 just replied you

Shadowblitz16 wrote:- combine lava water and quicksand into single liquid region and make it have properties
this will allow the player to create water, water currents, lava, acid, and different strengths of quick sand
Yoshi021 wrote:3) I don't think Lava needs to be a liquid since it can't really be customizable, its just a inta-death block
That just will be a sets of flags over custom physical environment zone which will apply it's effects to everything contacts it

Shadowblitz16 wrote:- make everything in the editor and game a lua script!
this will allow people to add additional config properties to their level editor. something like what you have going in the additional setting tab in scripts
Yoshi021 just replied you. In the latest SMBX config you will find a lot of examples against NPC-AI's, but when I'll implement most of things, I'll make a detail documentation for it to allow everybody code own NPC-AI scripts as for overriding exists and making new from scratch in the new config pack. P-Switch already coded in lua and it's not a hardcoded part of PGE Engine. Other things are will be writtein in lua too. PGE Engine itself going to contain only super-common sub-systems and actions.

Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend
Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend

Things I think should be implemented

Post #382by Shadowblitz16 » 15 Aug 2016, 21:32

Added after 8 minutes 9 seconds:
Things I think should be implemented
Yoshi021 wrote:
Shadowblitz16 wrote:- Block, Npc, Background and Player Editor within PGE Editor
- more zelda 2 and metroid content and in their separate categories
- combine lava water and quicksand into single liquid region and make it have properties
this will allow the player to create water, water currents, lava, acid, and different strengths of quick sand
- 4 player support
- make everything in the editor and game a lua script!
this will allow people to add additional config properties to their level editor. something like what you have going in the additional setting tab in scripts
1) If you mean to make custom graphics that will be implemented in the future
2) That could be added into the SMB Xpanded configure pack
3) I don't think Lava needs to be a liquid since it can't really be customizable, its just a inta-death block
5) The AI for NPCs and other data are in Lua.

1) I meant like custom blocks not just custom graphics
2) that's fine
3) I really think water quicksand and lava needs to be implemented similarly with custom properties
5) that's good. I also meant like being able to configure separate objects lua properties in a config window or something

I also have some other suggestions

EDITED:
ok so I rethought my second round of suggestions
1) res revamp
- simple textures should be a default of 16x16 but able to be changed to a lower or higher resolution
2) editor tileset revamp
- every block, and npc in the editor should be made up of at least 1 tile tiles can be more then one tile(16x32, 32x32)
but they should not be scaled to fit into a 16x16 tile. it makes blocks and npcs hard to see
- npcs and blocks still use sprite strip graphics they just are rendered in tilesets in the editor
3) block revamp
- blocks should be able to have a single hitbox flag/mask and a single palette(no need for duplicates)
- hitbox flags/mask should be expandable/moddable and should not be bound to a single tile but to a single instance of it on screen
4) npcs and customization
- all npcs should be able to have an unlimited number of ai
- they should be able to have palettes as well but like blocks one active per instance
- npcs should be able to change palettes on events or in scripts
5) all objects should be modifiable and expandable
- all objects should be based on a config pack that means if you open the editor without any config it should be a blank level with no npcs blocks tilesets or
any resources that aren't hard coded

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #383by Sambo » 19 Aug 2016, 21:25

There should be configurable hotkeys in the editor, using a system similar to this feature in GIMP:
hotkey config.PNG

This is a list of various functions of the program, and a hotkey can be set for any of them. To set a hotkey, all you do is click under "shortcut" for the function you want a hotkey for, then input the desired hotkey. It has support for use of a single key or Ctrl/Alt/Shift combinations.
Current Project:

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #384by Wohlstand » 20 Aug 2016, 0:58

Sambo wrote:There should be configurable hotkeys in the editor, using a system similar to this feature in GIMP:
hotkey config.PNG

This is a list of various functions of the program, and a hotkey can be set for any of them. To set a hotkey, all you do is click under "shortcut" for the function you want a hotkey for, then input the desired hotkey. It has support for use of a single key or Ctrl/Alt/Shift combinations.
Thanks for remembering that, and that is not so hard to implement (because now I using some to redefine "Testing" key when SMBX Integration (to use LunaTester for level testing) or regular modes (to use PGE Engine for a testing))
Anyway, that already in my tasks list for Editor: https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/PGE-Project/issues/128

Stickman01
Citizen
Citizen
Stickman01
Citizen
Citizen

Post #385by Stickman01 » 16 Sep 2016, 0:13

I've got a suggestion for the PGE. Perhaps an ability to rotate blocks, npcs, and BGOs if needed? Similar to how you can rotate shapes in paint, or Microsoft word. I don't know, just thought it'd be interesting to see a level that's sort of flipped upside-down or side ways or something.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #386by Wohlstand » 16 Sep 2016, 0:24

Stickman01 wrote:I've got a suggestion for the PGE. Perhaps an ability to rotate blocks, npcs, and BGOs if needed? Similar to how you can rotate shapes in paint, or Microsoft word. I don't know, just thought it'd be interesting to see a level that's sort of flipped upside-down or side ways or something.
Latest PGE Editor can flip/rotate groups of elements (or even entire sections!, just walk through "Edit" and "Level" -> "Section modification" menus), but if you wish also transform blocks into their rotated variants, you also must fill the "rotation_table.ini" with rules. It stored in config pack's directory, but also can be customized per episode.

Syntax of every rule is simple:

Code: Select all

[any-unique-non-repeatable-section-title-as-you-want]
type=block         ;block, bgo, npc, tile, scenery, path, level
id=317               ;actual ID of flippable-rotatable element
rotate-left=318    ;transform element into other ID when it has been rotated left
rotate-right=316  ;transform element into other ID when it has been rotated right
flip-h=318          ;transform element into other ID when it has been horizontally flipped
flip-v=316          ;transform element into other ID when it has been vertically flipped

When you no need transform block into other, just don't declare "rotate"/"flip" fields

I wasn't implemented yet a right gui to do that in user-friendly mode, but possible to fill that by hands (just keep in mind IDs of blocks to rotate between theme selves, etc.)

EDIT: even my old experiments which I done on moment when I finally implemented that: viewtopic.php?p=2701#p2701

Stickman01
Citizen
Citizen
Stickman01
Citizen
Citizen

Post #387by Stickman01 » 17 Sep 2016, 0:36

Wohlstand wrote:
Stickman01 wrote:I've got a suggestion for the PGE. Perhaps an ability to rotate blocks, npcs, and BGOs if needed? Similar to how you can rotate shapes in paint, or Microsoft word. I don't know, just thought it'd be interesting to see a level that's sort of flipped upside-down or side ways or something.
Latest PGE Editor can flip/rotate groups of elements (or even entire sections!, just walk through "Edit" and "Level" -> "Section modification" menus), but if you wish also transform blocks into their rotated variants, you also must fill the "rotation_table.ini" with rules. It stored in config pack's directory, but also can be customized per episode.

Syntax of every rule is simple:

Code: Select all

[any-unique-non-repeatable-section-title-as-you-want]
type=block         ;block, bgo, npc, tile, scenery, path, level
id=317               ;actual ID of flippable-rotatable element
rotate-left=318    ;transform element into other ID when it has been rotated left
rotate-right=316  ;transform element into other ID when it has been rotated right
flip-h=318          ;transform element into other ID when it has been horizontally flipped
flip-v=316          ;transform element into other ID when it has been vertically flipped

When you no need transform block into other, just don't declare "rotate"/"flip" fields

I wasn't implemented yet a right gui to do that in user-friendly mode, but possible to fill that by hands (just keep in mind IDs of blocks to rotate between theme selves, etc.)

EDIT: even my old experiments which I done on moment when I finally implemented that: viewtopic.php?p=2701#p2701

Oh sorry, didn't know it was already a feature. But thanks for letting me know :D

Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend
Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend

Post #388by Shadowblitz16 » 25 Sep 2016, 0:14

@Wohlstand

is it possible to create a compiler for PGE so that players can compile PGE episodes into executables?

there could be some sort of rule that compiled content must not have copyrighted content in it.
or it could be that it just can't be distributed commercially or it will be removed from these forums.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #389by Wohlstand » 25 Sep 2016, 3:12

Shadowblitz16 wrote:is it possible to create a compiler for PGE so that players can compile PGE episodes into executables?
That planned, but as solid package game file, not as stuff embedder: it will be a packer which will build the solid file of "game" which will contain:
  • used part of config pack (unused data will not be packed to don't growl size of archive)
  • one or multiple episodes with all content stuff
If you wish distribute your game commercially, you must have everything (music, sounds, graphics, characters, ideas) made by yourself or used stuff is allowed for commercial usage. PGE itself isn't closed to specific universes like legacy engine, therefore allows free creativity with own-made config packs (example of tiny config pack i'll send later, which will contain "1 of everything" as example).
Don't forget that PGE is a cross-platform engine and one solid game file, which doesn't requires any config packs, will work on every platform where PGE Engine is built. Instead will be possible a deploying a game file and PGE Engine without placing dev tools and without packing editor: only required DLLs/SOs/DYLIBs (dependent to operating system). PGE Engine's executable can be freely renamed into any name, and I will make a detection of "game.datapak" (may be different in resulted implementation, will think about that) file which will be an archive of the game. I will even allow ability to deploy game for all supported platforms at one time without requiring you have all of those platforms (especially OS X is hard to take, how as real Mac (expressive), also hackntosh (hard to take it working from any way: virtual machine or installing on real hardware) )

PGE Engine is GPL Licensed, and that means, you CAN sell your game together with pre-including PGE Engine and solid game file (GPL allows doing with binary EVERYTHING, even sell for money, and alone restriction - source code must be opened OR sent by first request of receiver). Since game package file isn't embedded into PGE Engine's executable, it can have any license you wish apply to it. Embedding stuff into GPL-licensed software requires the opening of the source code of that embedded stuff.

Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend
Shadowblitz16
Close friend
Close friend

Post #390by Shadowblitz16 » 25 Sep 2016, 3:46

cool are you planning on selling PGE when 1.0 comes out? or maybe selling config packs?

I wouldn't mind if it helps you out, as long as it doesn't require a continuous payment

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #391by Wohlstand » 25 Sep 2016, 4:13

Shadowblitz16 wrote:cool are you planning on selling PGE when 1.0 comes out? or maybe selling config packs?
I would sell some games built with PGE, but PGE itself will be free for everyone. Pre-created config packs are will be just an examples and stuff for a free community-made games. Selling pre-made config packs is not so useful in commercial case when many different game developers will sell similar games. Therefore is suggested to every game developer make own config pack from scratch. Anyway, I plan to build the utility to build from scratch and edit config packs easier than manual making ini-files with digging a tonn of specifications. Any exist lua scripts like common in-game utilities, playable character mechanics and skills, NPC-AI scripts are can be combined, changed, expended and applied for any different purposes.

Mr General Guy
Passerby
Passerby
Mr General Guy
Passerby
Passerby

Post #392by Mr General Guy » 30 Jan 2017, 3:43

Really, aside from a few other stuff, all I want to see in future 2.0 versions is for all the remaining assets (power-ups, etc) from 1.4.3 to be added to 2.0.

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #393by Yoshi021 » 30 Jan 2017, 4:41

Mr General Guy wrote:Really, aside from a few other stuff, all I want to see in future 2.0 versions is for all the remaining assets (power-ups, etc) from 1.4.3 to be added to 2.0.
That has to be done on the 2.0 side, and not on the PGE-editor side.
Links
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!" :pardon:

Mr General Guy
Passerby
Passerby
Mr General Guy
Passerby
Passerby

Post #394by Mr General Guy » 31 Jan 2017, 2:06

Yoshi021 wrote:
Mr General Guy wrote:Really, aside from a few other stuff, all I want to see in future 2.0 versions is for all the remaining assets (power-ups, etc) from 1.4.3 to be added to 2.0.
That has to be done on the 2.0 side, and not on the PGE-editor side.

Well, that's embarrassing.

Dato24
Passerby
Passerby
Dato24
Passerby
Passerby

Post #395by Dato24 » 16 Feb 2017, 18:14

I will suggest to include parallax backgrounds in the editor as the original SMBX editor
~~~ :tux: ~~~

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post #396by Wohlstand » 16 Feb 2017, 19:04

Dato24 wrote:I will suggest to include parallax backgrounds in the editor as the original SMBX editor
Would be possible with the new ItemScene feature (which will replace current core in next versions, it can don't lag while have over million elements, and will support multi-threading). Anyway, when export big screenshots, don't forget that background is very sensitive to it's specific for small screens (usually parallaxing, non-repeating, repeating horizontally/vertically, etc.), So, you see the attempt to fit the background compatible with small screens to huge unlimited space. I saw many "Ignore background because PGE". In true the background itself! The image itself is not compatible with huge areas, and when result is a static image!.
Another thing: WHEN parallax is exists, AND, you have unreal huge screen, and possible you have similar render result as render into static exportable image. What about bottom-aligned and horizontal-only repeatable backgrounds - the free space where is no image is filling the the left-top pixel's color (for most images where top side has solid-filled color, is fine, and result is nice. But if image has complex armament, filling of free space will be very dependent from left-top's color), but if top-aligned - left-bottom pixel's color.

Mr Briney
Passerby
Passerby
Mr Briney
Passerby
Passerby

Post #397by Mr Briney » 21 Jun 2017, 12:04

Build helper in Geometry Dash is very helpful! Why not implement it in PGE Editor? Build helper consists of create edges, create base, and create outlines. I think the Create edges feature can be applied to PGE editor.
phpBB [youtube]

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuVZ4JiH26c

sken130 M
Citizen
Citizen
sken130 M
Citizen
Citizen

Post #398by sken130 » 26 Jul 2017, 12:38

Hello, any plan to support my posted idea in the future?

Config pack for SMW behaviours 1
Post #324by sken130 » 30 Jan 2016, 21:29

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #399by Yoshi021 » 28 Jul 2017, 20:02

You may start your own config pack, but it is not recommended since the engine is still in Alpha.
Links
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!" :pardon:

sken130 M
Citizen
Citizen
sken130 M
Citizen
Citizen

Post #400by sken130 » 31 Jul 2017, 6:09

So, you mean config packs will be able to change the physics, and store the physics logics as some kind of Lua scripts or Javascripts or in some other scripting languages?

If so, it will be great.

Return to “Troubleshooting”