Ideas & Suggestions for future versions of PGE

Description: It's archive, posting new is here http://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

What do you think of these suggestions?

They are perfect addition for this Engine.
Wohlstand, CaptainSwag101, John Leagsdurg, IngeniousPlatformer, Squishy Rex, Veudekato, the_end_of_WORLD, DeuxEx, CreatorForce, sky2, DatDude, Yingchun Soul, hacheipe399, Fennor, Sambo, itskadenhere, Yoshimoto, Tux-Prowess, Pilzinsel64, Yoshi021, Jayce 777, Bonnies, Caketaco, KesterTank, Newspaper Zombie, Stickman01, Jackson455, Glitchy, Greendan, the GaMERDoG, P3rf3ctXZer0, Axl Gallais, 5438ASPGE71, 3color BombDX, 6824, higgorgao1, anonymousmariofan17
73%
They are not bad, could think of some others.
Natsu, h2643, Void, Alucard, Josh16, ellingtonisland, lighthouse64, Saronin, Edward Elric, SamuelNM2, Sammzy, kitkat, GianaSistersfan64
27%
I disagree with some of them (specify).
tb1024, Infobox
4%
I don't like them at all (specify).
No votes

Total voters: 52
Natsu
Topic author, Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Natsu
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #1by Natsu » 3 Apr 2014, 2:07

Hi, so many people may have heard of me with the GFX design and the logo and all that stuff, but I'm here for something else, to suggest the implementing of a few features that SMBX did not have but I think they should be implemented on PGE. Note that if a few have been decided to be implemented already you're free to ignore it and step to the next suggestion.

● Timer (Once the timer reaches 0 the player dies).
    ● Conditional Branch (All of those who are used to RPG maker and that stuff may know about this feature, it's about triggering something on another level or in the world map after doing something. Say we hit a switch, like on Super Mario World, and all blocks of the same color on all levels change from intangibles to solid, because a Conditional Branch set it to be so).
    Custom sound implementation without modifying the sound folder (just like with custom music).
    Already implemented with support of episode and level specific music.ini/sounds.ini files
    Ctrl+Z option to undo anything we've done in while editing a level/world map. Already implemented
    Fill option (like the In-Level-Editor) for the World Map editor. Already implemented
    ● Random Event Trigger Timer (SMBX lets you choose a certain amount of time you have to wait until an event triggers, what I'm suggesting is to make an event trigger by a random amount of time within the limits the creator states).
    ● Allow to run multiple events at a time (all of them possibly triggered by the same event).
    Fade-In music and sound when warping from a level section to another or from a level to the World Map (Also, a Fade-In warping animation, like the one from the NSMB sagas). Already implemented

These are all I can imagine right now, if I ever come with another one or you'd like to suggest one just go ahead and say so.

EDIT by Wohlstand:
You also can add your idea/wish/suggestion to the special WIKI-page: http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/PGE_Wishlist
Any replies/reviews are still be in this thread.
Last edited by Wohlstand on 9 Dec 2015, 23:52, edited 4 times in total.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #2by Veudekato » 3 Apr 2014, 8:42

● also ctrl+Y to return what you undo Already implemented
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Contributor
Squishy Rex M
Contributor
Contributor

Post #3by Squishy Rex » 5 Apr 2014, 16:56

I would agree with what has been suggested, though I would have a few small things to add, mainly for a more pleasing visual effect though:
- Toggle Weather Events (Rain, Heavy Rain, Thunder Storm or even Wind like in NSMBWii)
- As for a Timer have it as more an optional thing, in case (like me) people prefer no time limits for further exploration.
- World Events, where you can change the look of a World Map like in SMW
- More variety for paths like in SMW (Curves, Diagonals, In-Water)
- Inventory
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #4by Veudekato » 5 Apr 2014, 17:11

Squishy Rex wrote:- Inventory
i too think this.
Squishy Rex wrote:- Toggle Weather Events (Rain, Heavy Rain, Thunder Storm or even Wind like in NSMBWii)

this is eyecandy. in level settings this will be usefull

Natsu
Grumpy GFX Designer
Natsu
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #5by Natsu » 8 Apr 2014, 17:05

@Veudekato: I think he means environment alteration. SMBX lets you create underwater levels altering the environment of the level. Squishy Rex means to let you alternate the environment of the level for various possible weathers.

@Squishy Rex: I like all of your suggestions, really. I think that the World events should embrace more than just changing the look (which I assume you're referring to the effect the World Map takes after you beat the Special World). That's why I shortened it to Conditional Branch.

Let me specify what I meant by that for further questions. All of you may know RPG Maker right? What RPG Maker lets you do, is to have a global dictionary of events that you can trigger with certain conditions to be fulfilled- in other words, we could do something in the last level of the game and change something at the beginning. So technically, my idea bases on creating a global dictionary like the one from RPG Maker so we can change things in all levels and/or World Map by just doing something on one unique level/World Map location.

Hope I've been precise enough here.
Last edited by Veudekato on 3 Jun 2014, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammer

CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
Contributor
CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
Contributor
YouTube

Post #6by CaptainSwag101 » 15 Apr 2014, 3:55

I think I would also like to see a way to stop events that are currently repeating. For example, if you have an event loop that triggers an alarm noise that repeats, maybe breaking the alarm speaker would stop the alarm event from repeating.
--The Captain of Swag

Natsu
Grumpy GFX Designer
Natsu
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #7by Natsu » 15 Apr 2014, 18:52

@CaptainSwag101: That's actually possible with the current version of SMBX, but I agree with the suggestion. Also, I'd like to see a better loop system, the one SMBX had was buggy and many people refused to use it (people wanted to make a power-up switching block like the one from SMW). It should be possible to make it stop, and it should work properly of course.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #8by Veudekato » 16 Apr 2014, 9:55

Yes, i can say: this possible

Natsu
Grumpy GFX Designer
Natsu
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #9by Natsu » 17 Apr 2014, 21:36

I have a few more suggestions to implement:

● Camera Position Switching (Let's you switch the camera position, possible to set it either by X and Y, or focus on a certain object (Block, Background, NPC, etc)).
    ● Animation Display (Lets you display a certain animation in the screen, it'd be better if it's compatible with Adobe Flash's files).
    ● Text (Lets you display a text window with a certain image. Can change some lines or words to other colors such as red or green).
    ● Forbid player movement.

StraightFlame M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
StraightFlame M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #10by StraightFlame » 17 Apr 2014, 22:54

How about a randomized weather option like in Mario Adventure? (For example, it may rain which reveals invisible blocks, or it may snow which makes everything slippery.) This should, of course, be decided on a per-level basis or maybe even a per-episode basis, to avoid the game being ruined.

CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
Contributor
CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
Contributor
YouTube

Post #11by CaptainSwag101 » 17 Apr 2014, 22:58

That sounds like a really cool idea! Maybe certain levels on the world map will send you to a random level from a given list! There are a huge number of possibilities that this could create!
--The Captain of Swag

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #12by Veudekato » 18 Apr 2014, 12:59

Natsu wrote:● Forbid player movement.
this can smbx (scene - controls - up)

StraightFlame M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
StraightFlame M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #13by StraightFlame » 18 Apr 2014, 17:57

Actually, while that does rule out all other button presses, it also forces the player to go into any doors that might be in front of him and/or her.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #14by Veudekato » 18 Apr 2014, 18:34

Welcome to scene power!
StraightFlame wrote:Actually, while that does rule out all other button presses, it also forces the player to go into any doors that might be in front of him and/or her.
i hope platgenwohl will have more powerful scene editor

Natsu
Grumpy GFX Designer
Natsu
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #15by Natsu » 18 Apr 2014, 23:54

@Veudekato: Yeah, it certainly does, but it's a little buggy. In some instances you can move the player even though you've set that option.

StraightFlame M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
StraightFlame M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen

Post #16by StraightFlame » 27 Apr 2014, 17:44

Maybe the delay between events could be set in units that are shorter than seconds, like with Minecraft's "ticks"? I have an idea for a level, which may or may not work with the system as it is now.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #17by Veudekato » 28 Apr 2014, 12:50

StraightFlame wrote:How about a randomized weather option like in Mario Adventure?
oh, now I understand you. I know how to make this with LunaDLL in smbx.
Last edited by Anonymous on 6 May 2014, 8:17, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Grammar

CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
Contributor
CaptainSwag101 M
Contributor
Contributor
YouTube

Post #18by CaptainSwag101 » 6 May 2014, 2:47

A feature that I think would be really nice is the ability to place water or quicksand or sizable block by clicking the top-left corner of where you want it to be placed, and then click the bottom-right corner of where it will be placed, and that will determine the size of the block/water, which will be stretched in between these two points. That would make placing water/quicksand/sizable blocks much easier.
Last edited by CaptainSwag101 on 6 May 2014, 2:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix grammar
--The Captain of Swag

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
English Pronouns: he/him
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #19by Wohlstand » 6 May 2014, 6:47

CaptainSwag101 wrote:A feature that I think would be really nice is the ability to place water or quicksand or sizable block by clicking the top-left corner of where you want it to be placed, and then click the bottom-right corner of where it will be placed, and that will determine the size of the block/water, which will be stretched in between these two points. That would make placing water/quicksand/sizable blocks much easier.

For water and quicksand, oh, and good idea for even "rubber" blocks, I want making placing as rects in Paint editor:

And I will made resizer for "rubber" blocks and for waters/sands (don'r forget about "Resize" item of context menu by sizable blocks):

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
English Pronouns: he/him
Website Youtube channel URL Skype Tencent QQ

Post #20by Wohlstand » 29 May 2014, 8:07

Quotes from SMBX forums
For save interests things, i will put them here. You can do them too :wink:

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:Sizable instant warps would be nice to see.
also i'm starting to have faith in this...
FanofSMBX wrote:Yeah sizeable warps for giant pipe cool.
Wohlstand wrote:
FanofSMBX wrote:Yeah sizeable warps for giant pipe cool.
But, for entrance point only (Exit point is a "move to" point), and this option will be saved only in new file format (non compatible with SMBX), I will use them in new engine.
Oh, I forgot about diagonal warp direction and "two-way warp" (in SMBX we can place two one-way warp for made pseudo two-way warp).
And what are you think about "Projective pipe exit"? (as projective NPC generator)
(see this moment in Super Mario World, where using "Projective pipe exit")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AqturoCh5lM#t=59
FanofSMBX wrote:Cool! I never seen a diagonal blow pipe in SMBX before!

Murphmario wrote:A source code would be nice. Also:

- New Codes: NoHammer, NoStatue, NoTail, NoSpinJump, NoSword, NoBomb, NoThrownItem
- Custom World Map Music
- New Limits
- Better Autoscroll

ImperatoreXx wrote:Woshland how are you? He hoped good!
the project you are making, being born a great job! (He hoped to see a beta soon); I think I thank you and your staff because you have revived some hope.
I have a question for you: In this game there will be gravity, poison water (area or not) and climates (rain, snow, etc.) and that they affect the levels?
Wohlstand wrote:
ImperatoreXx wrote:Woshland how are you? He hoped good!
the project you are making, being born a great job! (He hoped to see a beta soon); I think I thank you and your staff because you have revived some hope.
I have a question for you: In this game there will be gravity, poison water (area or not) and climates (rain, snow, etc.) and that they affect the levels?
Hello, i'm fine!
What about your question:
Good idea for poison water and climates, graviry regulation i think add, for allow "Low gravity" or disable them. As you know, this is the physical environments, and can be used in one object type - "water". And i have idea for add wind (as "Super Princess Peach", where wind be move all items). But at first i must implement all exists SMBX's functional and support, and after I will add new features. New features, as gravity area, climates, wind, will not be saved in SMBX64 file format (for use same level file in original SMBX), but I will be engining the new file formats for save new features.

ImperatoreXx wrote:Woshland I am referring to gravity super mario galaxy!
There may be gravity, and space to represent 2d levels of SMGalaxy?
the other question is whether there gravity will be applied to objects, enemies and so on?
if there is this, there will be events that will affect the galaxies?
thank you again!
Wohlstand wrote:
ImperatoreXx wrote:Woshland I am referring to gravity super mario galaxy!
There may be gravity, and space to represent 2d levels of SMGalaxy?
the other question is whether there gravity will be applied to objects, enemies and so on?
if there is this, there will be events that will affect the galaxies?
thank you again!
With gravity area i can made global gravity variable (as 'underwater' flag), what be applied to ALL items on level, and... set them in event, is important. As you know, all physics using gravity, but not all games changing gravity value, and this will be very useful.

Oh, you mean this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id1FWB5Oyho
This is an own gravity of big object, very good idea: disable global gravity, and big items will be attract objects, but, in THIS mode, i think, need made: if you jump and fly in UP - you will die as you fall down in normal mode

Return to “Troubleshooting”