Ideas & Suggestions for future versions of PGE

Description: Report bugs and ask questions regarding PGE here.
Forum rules: Here you can ask any question related to PGE Project components:

Any questions related to LunaLUA project please ask HERE (LunaLUA subsection)
Any questions related to SMBX-38A (1.4.x) Chinese project please ask HERE (SMBX-38A subsection)
Moderators: Semi-moderatos, Moderators

What do you think of these suggestions?

They are perfect addition for this Engine.
Wohlstand, CaptainSwag101, John Leagsdurg, IngeniousPlatformer, Squishy Rex, Veudekato, the_end_of_WORLD, DeuxEx, CreatorForce, sky2, DatDude, Elf of H & L, hacheipe399, Fennor, Sambo, itskadenhere, Yoshimoto, Tux-Prowess, Pilzinsel64, Yoshi021, Jayce 777, Bonnies, Caketaco, KesterTank, TheCreator520, Stickman01, Jackson455, Glitchy, MidoriNeko, the GaMERDoG, P3rf3ctXZer0, Axl Gallais, 5438ASPGE71, Tricolor BombDX, 6824, higgorgao1, PaperMarioYT
73%
They are not bad, could think of some others.
Natsu, h2643, Void-the-Bat, Alucard, Josh16, ellingtonisland, lighthouse64, Saronin, Edward Elric, SamuelNM2, Sammzy, Coolio__, GianaSistersfan64
27%
I disagree with some of them (specify).
tb1024, Infobox
4%
I don't like them at all (specify).
No votes

Total voters: 52
Christian07 M
Good citizen
Good citizen
Christian07 M
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #221by Christian07 » 1 Dec 2014, 21:13

I thought about this right now. What about a function which deletes every X block? For example, if I want to delete every wood fill block (block-16) in my level, I'd type the ID of the block I want to delete somewhere and that function will delete all the blocks.

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #222by Squishy Rex » 2 Dec 2014, 6:45

I could see how that would work, but I don't know how useful it would be, except for some sort of rapid deletion of blocks. It's definitely a creative idea though and it may serve a purpose in the future. :)
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

Alucard
Our friend
Our friend
Alucard
Our friend
Our friend

Post #223by Alucard » 2 Dec 2014, 17:01

Squishy Rex wrote:I could see how that would work, but I don't know how useful it would be, except for some sort of rapid deletion of blocks. It's definitely a creative idea though and it may serve a purpose in the future. :)
I have already suggested Layer->Destroy(bool perform_effects) which destroys all blocks, BGO`s and NPC`s on given layer with option to play dectruction effects on all affected items.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #224by Veudekato » 2 Dec 2014, 20:05

You can delete layer and objects will be deleted too
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #225by Wohlstand » 3 Dec 2014, 4:30

Veudekato wrote:You can delete layer and objects will be deleted too
Alucard means engine's event action which will destroy all items of target layer in the game process.

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #226by Squishy Rex » 7 Dec 2014, 10:41

Just two suggestions:

1. I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but, what about sizable warps?

2. Extended "No Turn Back" where you can select which direction you want it to work (eg. Left, Right, Up or Down). This could be extremely useful for vertically scrolling levels.

sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend
sky2 M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #227by sky2 » 7 Dec 2014, 13:20

Sizable warps... I want it, for Instant warp type...

IDK if this was mentioned... But what about online play? I'm not talking about the editor or collab levels. Just multiplayer where you can play episodes through internet, hamachi, comodovpn and so on.
Poof!

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Website

Post #228by Kevsoft » 7 Dec 2014, 14:32

sky2 wrote:IDK if this was mentioned... But what about online play? I'm not talking about the editor or collab levels. Just multiplayer where you can play episodes through internet, hamachi, comodovpn and so on.
This will be done for sure.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.start() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Wohlstand in interview:
Spoiler

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.end() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #229by Squishy Rex » 10 Dec 2014, 14:31

sky2 wrote:Sizable warps... I want it, for Instant warp type...

Yeah, that's what I meant. I think sizable door or pipe warps might be a bit pointless. However, special selections for warps that allow only the player to enter under the effects of a certain power-up would be good, especially for a Mini Mario or Frog Mario type player. Frog players could enter some pipes with water jets gushing from them while players without a frog suit couldn't.

Alucard
Our friend
Our friend
Alucard
Our friend
Our friend

Post #230by Alucard » 10 Dec 2014, 19:42

Squishy Rex wrote:
sky2 wrote:Sizable warps... I want it, for Instant warp type...

I think sizable door or pipe warps might be a bit pointless.
Giant pipes, boss doors, and other such stuff.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #231by Wohlstand » 10 Dec 2014, 21:04

Sizable warps already planned ;-)
You can see size fields while you read the LVLX specification. Size will be definable for entrances only, exit - is a target point where player will be teleported. But exception will be two-way warps where will be available resizing of exit because it is also an opposite entrance.

Josh16 M
Citizen
Citizen
Josh16 M
Citizen
Citizen

Post #232by Josh16 » 11 Dec 2014, 3:16

are we going to get more enemy and tileset without replacing it or replacing the custom ones one day?
and that it can be loaded into any level?

its annoying to have no space to add more :blush:

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #233by Squishy Rex » 11 Dec 2014, 8:02

Once SMBX is replicated, work on SMBXtended will begin. This will be like updating SMBX in a sense, where new NPCs, codes etc will be made, so there will be new things that SMBX 1.3 does not have. I believe replacing enemies while keeping the original enemy as well has been talked about. If anything it would come in the form of a Custom NPCs tab, by where you can use simple SMBX NPC codes to basically make a replica of any enemy without replacing the actual enemy itself. An example might be being able to have two entirely different Venus Fire Trap graphics in the same level, where as in SMBX this cannot be done.

Josh16 M
Citizen
Citizen
Josh16 M
Citizen
Citizen

Post #234by Josh16 » 11 Dec 2014, 16:50

that's good news to see :)
hope this project will be good for every one

bossedit8 M
Contributor
Contributor
bossedit8 M
Contributor
Contributor
Website

Checkpoint behavours

Post #235by bossedit8 » 2 Jan 2015, 19:50

What I surely want to suggest is to add a function to the Checkpoint that if you die while the Checkpoint has been touched and go to a different Level that the Checkpoint still has it's function like in Super Mario World since over there, even if you go to a different Level, the Checkpoint from the previous Level is still active and you always start at the Midway until you beat the Level entirely or getting a Game Over by losing all of your existing Lifes (1UPs).

The other thing by the Checkpoint behavour is to manually place the Starting Player for the Checkpoint so you don't have to always Start right where the Checkpoint is and to prevent from any glitching ups like if you put a sizeable tile right at the checkpoint you always start at the top in SMBX which is sometimes a very bad idea.

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #236by Wohlstand » 2 Jan 2015, 23:48

bossedit8 wrote:What I surely want to suggest is to add a function to the Checkpoint that if you die while the Checkpoint has been touched and go to a different Level that the Checkpoint still has it's function like in Super Mario World since over there, even if you go to a different Level, the Checkpoint from the previous Level is still active and you always start at the Midway until you beat the Level entirely or getting a Game Over by losing all of your existing Lifes (1UPs).

The other thing by the Checkpoint behavour is to manually place the Starting Player for the Checkpoint so you don't have to always Start right where the Checkpoint is and to prevent from any glitching ups like if you put a sizeable tile right at the checkpoint you always start at the top in SMBX which is sometimes a very bad idea.
Ow, yea, this is a WRONG calculation thing in the SMBX, it should CALIBRATE, to fit player to NEAR block, but NOT over them (I will make better formula which will solve this issue). Also I will build able use multiple checkpoints. It is SIMPLE and EASY to implementing (I will store special array of checkpoinds and will mark gotten to correctly detect which points was taken and which point is last [where I should put player after it's fail]).
SMBX have a lot's of things which should be solved by re-implementing of physics system from scratch.

Anyway I will write the "Quick Start" for editor's manual and will continue works with engine. Editor now have almost everything and now I should took more care into engine. Also some PGE's things I adding into LunaDLL like SDL2_mixer library to get able play .ogg, .flac, .mid, .it, ,.xm formats which internally supports by PGE, and make able to customize default sounds and musics with INI files. Also we with Kevsoft via LunaDLL made fix of old and wired decimals bug, and GOOD BYE "RUNTIME 13" ERROR FOREVER! :cool:
But by anyway we will build new engine which will be more stable and more flexible than SMBX even with LunaDLL.

bossedit8 M
Contributor
Contributor
bossedit8 M
Contributor
Contributor
Website

NPCs Directional behavours

Post #237by bossedit8 » 6 Jan 2015, 4:30

Oh yeah, I also noticed that on SMBX Level Editor inside the NPC Window that before you can place an NPC in you can change directions to either Left where it goes left first once it is activated, on Right where it goes right first or even at Random which it either goes to left or right. There are other NPCs that goes up and/or down of course and that counts on all of the Para-Enemies and Sushies that connects with the "NPC Advanced Section".

So about my suggestion is to add a Function on the Editor so that in the Game it always goes towards the player once it is activated like if that NPC has been activated to the right side, it goes to the left and if it started on the left, it goes right. The Name of the Button can be anything you like but I would of say something called "Follow" or "Towards" but there are way more possibilities to add in.

The samething goes to an NPC Function that is going away from the player once it is activated like if it has been activated from the right side, it goes to the right and if it has been activated to the left, it goes left. It can be called "Away" but like I said, the Name can be anything.

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #238by Sambo » 9 Jan 2015, 7:50

That sounds like a useful concept (though I don't know why you'd want an NPC to start walking away, it would just leave the screen as soon as it spawned)

What should be implemented is the ability to copy layers and events from one SMBX level to another, because I made a lot of custom levels, and then made a lot of events that need to be in every level for my LunaLUA scripts to work, and it will take hours to implement them into each level. I'm sure this feature could help many people who encounter similar problems when making levels.
Current Project:

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #239by Squishy Rex » 13 Jan 2015, 12:23

bossedit8 wrote:Oh yeah, I also noticed that on SMBX Level Editor inside the NPC Window that before you can place an NPC in you can change directions to either Left where it goes left first once it is activated, on Right where it goes right first or even at Random which it either goes to left or right. There are other NPCs that goes up and/or down of course and that counts on all of the Para-Enemies and Sushies that connects with the "NPC Advanced Section".

So about my suggestion is to add a Function on the Editor so that in the Game it always goes towards the player once it is activated like if that NPC has been activated to the right side, it goes to the left and if it started on the left, it goes right. The Name of the Button can be anything you like but I would of say something called "Follow" or "Towards" but there are way more possibilities to add in.

The samething goes to an NPC Function that is going away from the player once it is activated like if it has been activated from the right side, it goes to the right and if it has been activated to the left, it goes left. It can be called "Away" but like I said, the Name can be anything.

On that note, a new function for the Firebars and Roto-Disc would be good. Basically you can have them start from the top or bottom, however, you can't set which direction you want them to spin in. The same goes for Spike Top enemies. Depending on which side of a block it is placed on will determine which way it will go, even if you set left or right.

Elf of H & L
Marquis
Marquis
Elf of H & L
Marquis
Marquis
Website

Post #240by Elf of H & L » 14 Jan 2015, 16:07

I Hope to add Hello's Super Mario Bros Game Master Configuration pack on PGE
Formerly known as Love Bodhi
Check out my SMBX Projects - Fairy Tale Projects:
Mario in Wonderland 2
Mario in Wonderland Revolution

I can't use Discord on my location anymore, sorry for inconvenience.

I'm working a soundfont which is called The Multi-Elemental SoundFont.
This time is SC-8850 Compatible.
G4, G15, G60, G65, G92, no replacements exist at all......

I'm using setBfree to create organs, as well as ZynSubAddFX, Dexed and Surge to create instruments that other than non-FM organs.

黄色迎春点缀美丽仙境,花仙的精灵啊,请你伴随着我的声音歌唱吧!

Return to “Troubleshooting”