Ideas & Suggestions for future versions of PGE

Description: Report bugs and ask questions regarding PGE here.
Forum rules: Here you can ask any question related to PGE Project components:

Any questions related to LunaLUA project please ask HERE (LunaLUA subsection)
Any questions related to SMBX-38A (1.4.x) Chinese project please ask HERE (SMBX-38A subsection)
Moderators: Semi-moderatos, Moderators

What do you think of these suggestions?

They are perfect addition for this Engine.
Wohlstand, CaptainSwag101, John Leagsdurg, IngeniousPlatformer, Squishy Rex, Veudekato, the_end_of_WORLD, DeuxEx, CreatorForce, sky2, DatDude, Elf of H & L, hacheipe399, Fennor, Sambo, itskadenhere, Yoshimoto, Tux-Prowess, Pilzinsel64, Yoshi021, Jayce 777, Bonnies, Caketaco, KesterTank, TheCreator520, Stickman01, Jackson455, Glitchy, MidoriNeko, the GaMERDoG, P3rf3ctXZer0, Axl Gallais, 5438ASPGE71, Tricolor BombDX, 6824, higgorgao1, PaperMarioYT
73%
They are not bad, could think of some others.
Natsu, h2643, Void-the-Bat, Alucard, Josh16, ellingtonisland, lighthouse64, Saronin, Edward Elric, SamuelNM2, Sammzy, Coolio__, GianaSistersfan64
27%
I disagree with some of them (specify).
tb1024, Infobox
4%
I don't like them at all (specify).
No votes

Total voters: 52
Christian07 M
Good citizen
Good citizen
Christian07 M
Good citizen
Good citizen

Post #161by Christian07 » 27 Aug 2014, 14:20

Don't know if possible, but there is a way for make so one level can affect another (for example, collecting 10 stars in some levels makes a wall disappear in another level)?

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #162by Squishy Rex » 27 Aug 2014, 15:01

Ah, you must mean conditional branching. See the first post in this topic for more information on it. Natsu first mentioned this, and by the sounds of it, it should be very possible.
Squishy Rex's CGFX Pack v1.7
To show your support add any of these Userbars to your Signature!

DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend
DeuxEx M
Our friend
Our friend

Post #163by DeuxEx » 27 Aug 2014, 21:02

I am at the moment the suggestions from the community, I agree he hoped only in a deployment rpg for the story and a good game engine.

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #164by tb1024 » 27 Aug 2014, 21:42

Conditional branching should be possible through the scripting engine. Even LunaDLL, if it could read the number of stars, it can hide the wall.
I think the Lua Scripting Engine should start with most abilities from LunaDLL.
Wohl has the LunaDLL reference inside his server, I guess he can implement all from LunaDLL, because instead of a heavy hack in the engine (LunaDLL is inserted through heavy engine hacking), it's built-in and the editor can give "standard" variables, such as the number of stars, current powerup, x-axis and y-axis and built-in functions (layers, check whether a NPC is at a specific place, trigger autoscroll (in SMW, autoscroll is triggered by invisible NPCs)...) and even built-in types (class NPC, class Player, class BGO...)

ImperatoreXx wrote:I am at the moment the suggestions from the community, I agree he hoped only in a deployment rpg for the story and a good game engine.
I didn't understand you.

I think everything in the engine should be treated as a NPC. Even BGOs. It'll allow BGOs to be resized and even programmed. For example, the fence BGO, instead of the player recognizing the fence BGO, the fence BGO, even being a BGO, it'll be climbable like a vine NPC.
I also suggest the NPC codes:
climbable=[0,1]: if it is 1, the NPC is climbable. If it is 0, it isn't.
health=[number]: how many times the NPC should be hurt in order to be killed. For example, we can make the player have to stomp a Goomba 100 times in order to kill it or else make the player capable to One-Hit-KO Bowser.
I also think the "no" codes (nofireball, noyoshi) should work with 1 regardless of the NPC.

I think making each episode have its cheats instead of the engine itself it's a nice idea. It'll make cheating harder (you can only cheat if the episode maker wants) and can generate fun easter eggs.

Wohl, would you fix the buggy SMBX autoscroll by letting autoscroll everywhere?
Do you want fries with that?
Mal posso esperar para a versão final da engine de Wolhstand!
English Translation
I can't wait for Wohlstand's Engine final version :D

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #165by Sambo » 28 Aug 2014, 4:39

You should implement the ability to right-click an npc in the itembox to change its configuration, so the user doesn't have to place the npc in the level first.
Also, there should be an option to show BG animations in the editor.
Current Project:

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Website

Post #166by Kevsoft » 28 Aug 2014, 10:30

You can already do that with placed item, if you want to we can also do that with the itembox, if it is important for you!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.start() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Wohlstand in interview:
Spoiler

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Signature.end() ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #167by Squishy Rex » 1 Sep 2014, 6:54

Here's a small suggestion for selecting backgrounds (not BGOs), instead of a drop down list with just the names of what the background is, what about having them appear as thumbnail images or have them set out like Blocks, BGOs and NPCs, where you also can see the image of background. This would be good especially for when using custom backgrounds as currently there is no custom tab and you have to go through the backgrounds list till you find the custom one. This might be a little more convenient for most users, especially those who work better with visuals instead of words.

Sambo M
Count
Count
Sambo M
Count
Count

Post #168by Sambo » 4 Sep 2014, 6:32

Don't know if this quite counts as a suggestion, but in SMBX, layers can be set to a speed with any number of decimal points (ex. 3.75), but PGE only accepts speeds with one decimal place. Sometimes, speeds with more than one decimal place are necessary in the editor, like, for example, if you wanted a layer that moves slowly upward, and then quickly downward, and repeats, you would need precise speeds to keep it from becoming misaligned slowly. Also, event trigger times can only have one decimal place in SMBX because time is entered with a slider, but the game may be able to handle times with more than one decimal place if PGE allowed you to enter them. (would be easier to keep moving layers aligned by adjusting the length of events, rather than changing layer speeds).

I tried not to be confusing, but I'm pretty lousy at explaining things. :comando:
Current Project:

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Website

Post #169by Kevsoft » 4 Sep 2014, 8:54

We can understand you :biggrin: . I think Wohlstand already fixed it....
Wohlstand in interview:
Spoiler

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #170by Wohlstand » 4 Sep 2014, 16:08

Sambo, Kevsoft is right, you have a very old build. Download a fresh one from the laboratory page ;-)

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #171by Squishy Rex » 5 Sep 2014, 7:33

I really only have this small issue for now, and that would be the hitbox for the SMW Bowser Statue. Stand on top of one when it breaths fire and you'll see what I mean if you haven't seen this issue before.

Also, there's this I found on Google Images, it looks pretty cool though it isn't a suggestion, it's probably the best place to put it. Apparently it is some hoaxed SMBX 1.4 NPCs section. It may be fake, but they did well making it. Except for the fact that they forgot the items section in the SMB2 category...

Spoiler

h2643 M
Contributor
Contributor
h2643 M
Contributor
Contributor
Website YouTube

Post #172by h2643 » 5 Sep 2014, 14:58

Another suggestion, should we add expanded versions of already existing SMBX's tilesets? Everything is in New SMBX CGFX Pack, I think.
<Knux> h2643 the super computer

Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator
Squishy Rex M
Advanced Moderator
Advanced Moderator

Post #173by Squishy Rex » 5 Sep 2014, 16:11

h2643 wrote:Another suggestion, should we add expanded versions of already existing SMBX's tilesets? Everything is in New SMBX CGFX Pack, I think.

Now I can see the benefits of this, but I have a feeling that this may have some negatives. Naturally, extending the current tilesets without having to implement custom graphics as well would be time-saving and rather convenient. It would mean that things could be removed from the NEW SMBX CGFX Pack due to them becoming defaulted graphics, which I can see happening with NPCs most over time as SMBXtended takes shape. However, doing so would exponentially increase the size of the download of PGE or SMBXtended. It would be a lot of work to do, since from last count, there is approximately 2000+ tiles if all fully extended tilesets were used (and SMBX doesn't even have 1000 tiles). Lastly, would the engine/editor be able to hold that many tiles, plus all ther graphics without being affected by the combined file size. I think something like this may come down to a vote in the end, though, if the engine/editor could run smoothly without being compromised it would be worthwhile considering in a way.

And yes, everything is in the NEW SMBX CGFX Pack.

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #174by tb1024 » 5 Sep 2014, 21:34

The SMBXtended config can be download separately along with its main physics, graphics and cia. .
The engine's configs is what will make the engine extensible. We will de able to add Metroid config, Zelda config, Sonic config...
I think these will be pseudo-engines like GMK (the GMK engines are pseudo engines because the real engine is Game Maker). I think configs will do that role.
Wait... that means PGE can come on a small "configless" file?
English Translation

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #175by Wohlstand » 6 Sep 2014, 12:03

tb1024 wrote:The SMBXtended config can be download separately along with its main physics, graphics and cia. .
The engine's configs is what will make the engine extensible. We will de able to add Metroid config, Zelda config, Sonic config...
I think these will be pseudo-engines like GMK (the GMK engines are pseudo engines because the real engine is Game Maker). I think configs will do that role.
GameMaker is an univeral game engine. PGE config is not engine, there are a declarating settings only, and lua scripts to define events (what we should do if player was hurted with or without powerup or how many hp we should remove, etc.). For some config settings which is not possible yet I will should write as update of engine part application. GMK is a IDE with own programming system. PGE, is platform games specific engine which can be configured.

Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer
Mikepjr
Grumpy GFX Designer
Grumpy GFX Designer

Post #176by Mikepjr » 7 Sep 2014, 9:50

Anyone mentioned the screen ratio, or screen size?
I kinda can't help but feel it's too tall, but wide enough... if it was shortened some, i think it would work great for wide screen.

Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount
Veudekato M
Viscount
Viscount

Post #177by Veudekato » 7 Sep 2014, 12:32

hmm, you can also press alt+mouse to change size of level window
My channel (PlatGEnWohl news and tutorials , smbx tests):
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6h-42umT14iR1wa3VkOs3Q

Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Kevsoft M
Angry developer
Angry developer
Website

Post #178by Kevsoft » 7 Sep 2014, 12:39

He is talking about the game engine, not the editor.
Wohlstand in interview:
Spoiler

tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis
tb1024 M
Marquis
Marquis

Post #179by tb1024 » 7 Sep 2014, 13:45

Wohlstand wrote:
tb1024 wrote:The SMBXtended config can be download separately along with its main physics, graphics and cia. .
GameMaker is an univeral game engine. PGE config is not engine, there are a declarating settings only, and lua scripts to define events (what we should do if player was hurted with or without powerup or how many hp we should remove, etc.). For some config settings which is not possible yet I will should write as update of engine part application. GMK is a IDE with own programming system. PGE, is platform games specific engine which can be configured.
Some people doesn't want powerups (to cite an example, Xerx's Girl with Scarf has no powerups, no drop item...).
Try to giving tons of freedom to customize the engine, even if the engine drops its "Platformer" focus.
Besides,some Zelda games aren't exactly RPGs, it's a platformer game with RPG elements. It's just not side-scrolling.

My suggestion for the configs
  • Each config has its own NPCs, Blocks, BGOs, Playables, physics, etc.
  • The config should be able to alter the gameplay. The key point for SMBX's strict customization is unchangeable gameplay. Config should be able to change the physics, change how powerups work and even remove them, change the HUD, and etc.
English Translation

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Website Skype YouTube

Post #180by Wohlstand » 7 Sep 2014, 15:26

tb1024 wrote:My suggestion for the configs

Each config has its own NPCs, Blocks, BGOs, Playables, physics, etc.
The config should be able to alter the gameplay. The key point for SMBX's strict customization is unchangeable gameplay. Config should be able to change the physics, change how powerups work and even remove them, change the HUD, and etc.
this is IMPORTANT, and I will do this. Also you already can redefine my current configs and create SMBX non-compatible config. I.e. difference item number, custom number of player characters, etc.

Return to “Troubleshooting”