Issue when replacing a BGO with a smaller image than the original

Description: Report bugs and ask questions regarding PGE here.
Forum rules: Here you can ask any question related to PGE Project components:


Any questions related to LunaLUA project please ask HERE (LunaLUA subsection)
Any questions related to SMBX-38A (1.4.x) Chinese project please ask HERE (SMBX-38A subsection)
Moderators: Moderators, Semi-moderatos

Sambo M
Topic author, Count
Count
Avatar
Sambo M
Topic author, Count
Count
Age: 20
Reputation: 13
Posts: 264
Joined: 27 Jun 2014

Post #1by Sambo » 26 Oct 2016, 3:00

After I updated the PGE editor and the SMBX-Int config pack, there started to be black and white pixels filling the part of a BGO that was not replaced by an image. This is probably really confusing to read, so here is a picture:
BGO issue.PNG
BGO issue.PNG (2.8 KiB) Viewed 250 times

This image is a PNG, and it is smaller than the original by 2 pixels in width and height. You can see that there are random pixels in that space that are usually black and white, but there are occasionally other colors (like that bit of brown on the bottom). This was not an issue before I updated. These weird pixels are not consistently visible, but they show up in most tests in SMBX. I don't know how PGE could have caused this (LunaTester maybe), but there wasn't anything else I did that could have messed this up.
Image
Current Project:
Image

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Avatar
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Age: 26
Reputation: 372
Posts: 1340
Joined: 15 Feb 2014
Location: Moscow, Russia
Website Skype YouTube

Post #2by Wohlstand » 26 Oct 2016, 12:31

Seems it's a LunaLUA-side bug (which prepares internal API to process testing, and accidentally applies mask to image which doesn't needs it). LunaLUA must be always-latest (after downloading regular archive, you must download night-dev build and patch your just-downloaded LunaLUA with it).

EDIT: I just remembered, yeah, LunaLUA had a strong bug with images smaller than original, and empty space was being filled with junk stuff (random frame buffers, even other sprites, etc.) which is already fixed in latest version

Sambo M
Topic author, Count
Count
Avatar
Sambo M
Topic author, Count
Count
Age: 20
Reputation: 13
Posts: 264
Joined: 27 Jun 2014

Post #3by Sambo » 28 Oct 2016, 5:04

I just updated, and the problem didn't go away.
Does it have something to do with these weird extra mask images that appeared for some reason, maybe?:
weird mask files.PNG

This is really irritating, actually. Their names are so similar that I can't single them out for deletion with a search. The only difference is the "-" which doesn't work when I search for it.
Image
Current Project:
Image

Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Avatar
Wohlstand M
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
Age: 26
Reputation: 372
Posts: 1340
Joined: 15 Feb 2014
Location: Moscow, Russia
Website Skype YouTube

Post #4by Wohlstand » 28 Oct 2016, 14:23

Junk masks are must be afraid to PGE since it looking absolute names. You just can make sub-folder "xxx", from command line move all useful images

Code: Select all

move background-*.gif xxx

, then delete all useless images and move useful back

Sambo M
Topic author, Count
Count
Avatar
Sambo M
Topic author, Count
Count
Age: 20
Reputation: 13
Posts: 264
Joined: 27 Jun 2014

Post #5by Sambo » 29 Oct 2016, 2:43

I figured it out like 5 minutes after my post. The problem was singling out the ones that had a "-". Searching for that character didn't work. It must be a search syntax character or something (like the "-" on the Google search engine).

Anyway, I don't know what is causing this rendering problem, but I am working on an API that should serve as a temporary fix by making the BGO itself smaller. It will also allow you to make custom BGOs bigger than the originals, and change their render priority. :)
Image
Current Project:
Image


Return to “Troubleshooting”

Who is online (over the past 5 minutes)

Users browsing this forum: 1 guest