(Bug-report) Some errors with players that needs to be fixed (SOLVED)

Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Website Youtube channel URL

Post #1by Lx Xzit » 8 Aug 2016, 3:30

I've been doing extensive research for a while and now I'm finally ready to post this. I have given some suggestions and I pointed out all kinds of problems, from the smallest to some remarkable ones (the smallest problems are most like a personal opinion which aren't really important), I tried to make this topic as complete as I could. Without more to say, here are the problems and my suggestions:

MARIO AND LUIGI
  • When Mario and Luigi slides to the left side, they will "float" some pixels:
    Spoiler
  • This is really a minor problem. Mini Mario and Mini Luigi, when they run (and slide), his animations are 2 pixels below than they should. There's no way to re-calibrate these sprites because if you do, you will break some animations. That's why I'm pointing this here. ;)
    Spoiler
  • Another minor problem. Mega Luigi should be 2 pixels above. :P
    Spoiler

PD: I'd like to make a request now we're talking about the Mega Mushroom. Can these blocks be brockeable with Mega forms? (like if they were bricks)
    Spoiler
    Sometimes you're happy breaking everything and you need to stop due these blocks.
  • When Frog Mario and Frog Luigi slide down a slope, it's a bit weird.:
    Spoiler
    (In my opinion, they shouldn't be allowed to slide down a slope on this form, or they could have a totally normal slide).
  • Here's a totally personal suggestion: Remove the sound effect when Mario and Luigi are sliding down a slope. In SMBX 1.3 there don't have a sound effect, it would be more polish if they don't make sounds.

PEACH AND TOAD
  • Peach's fly is wrong. Peach only should be able to fly one time per jump, however you can press repetidely "jump" key while you're failing and you can make a weird jumps:
    Spoiler
  • Toad and Peach in shell suit, won't bounce when they hit a block:
    Spoiler
    When they destroy a block they will stop and stand automatically loosing his "shell form" (even when you have "run" key pressing). This doesn't happen with Mario and Luigi.
  • When Peach has the Penguin Suit and it's on the water, she doesn't have animations. I guess this is because lack of graphics and the team couldn't find them, I understand this. I will try to help by making animations for Peach when she's swimming. ;)

LINK
  • While Link's attacks with his sword he can move a bit (it's like what happened with Yoshi before it got fixed):
    Spoiler
  • There's more like a minor suggestion rather than a problem: When Link will shoots something, it should shoot it instantly (like in SMBX 1.3), actually in takes some miliseconds. It makes the preciseness a bit harder.
    Spoiler
    In SMBX 1.4

In SMBX 1.3
  • When Link is on Frog Suit and Penguin Suit status, when he's on the water he swims very weird, it's obviously this is because Link doesn't have swimming graphics, In my opinion Link should have normal swimming like in the other statuses I don't think Link should have "special swimming" with these Power-ups. :P

PROBLEMS WILL ALL CHARACTERS:
  • I know I've already pointed this but the purpose of this topic is point all the current problems, then I will point this again to make this topic more completed. When players transforms into a statue and they're ducking, the statue sprite will be under than it should:
    Spoiler
  • The players doesn't support multiple stomp per jump. What's wrong with this? This may cause some problems and unfair hits like...
    Spoiler
    Characters should be able to stomp multiple enemies per jump (like in SMBX 1.3). Also I would like smash various goombas at the same time. :P
    Here's the download link of the level showed in this gif in case someone want investigate this bug deeper:
    Stomp-problem.lvl
    (2.61 KiB) Downloaded 237 times

I don't think it's needed pay attention to all problems I've pointed, anyway I hope some of them get fixed in the future!
Last edited by Lx Xzit on 13 Aug 2016, 20:02, edited 2 times in total.

4matsy M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
4matsy M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
Post #2by 4matsy » 9 Aug 2016, 4:28

Lx Xzit wrote:MARIO AND LUIGI
  • When Frog Mario and Frog Luigi slide down a slope, it's a bit weird.:
    Spoiler
    (In my opinion, they shouldn't be allowed to slide down a slope on this form, or they could have a totally normal slide).
I like it, actually. You're right; Frog Mario isn't supposed to slide down slopes, so when you try anyway, it's normal that you'd get either no response, or something silly/awkward like this. :p
(I don't think Frog Mario/Luigi is supposed to have the hammer suit shell on his back when sliding, either. Looks kinda weird... <_<;)

Lx Xzit wrote:
  • Here's a totally personal suggestion: Remove the sound effect when Mario and Luigi are sliding down a slope. In SMBX 1.3 there don't have a sound effect, it would be more polish if they don't make sounds.
I think the idea of there being a sound effect for sliding down slopes comes from one of the Super Mario Advance games, actually. Either 2 or 4, I don't remember which. Maybe both, now that I think about it...heh. :p

Lx Xzit wrote:PEACH AND TOAD
[list][*] Peach's fly is wrong. Peach only should be able to fly one time per jump, however you can press repetidely "jump" key while you're failing and you can make a weird jumps:
Spoiler
BTW I'd like to make a request. Currently, if you jump with Peach with "Alt-Jump" key, you can keep pushing this key and Peach will make a jump and she will fly. But when you make a jump normally with "Jump" key, you can't keep flying, she only will make a normal jump. My request is: Can the Peach's "normal jump" be like the "Alt-jump"? I mean, you can make a jump with fly by keeping pushing the "Jump" key (like in the original SMB2 game).
Things were set up this way back in 1.3 so that you could actually make use of all of Peach's hover time in one jump; without, say, accidentally letting go of the jump key and then pressing it again, only to no avail. Were you crossing a long gap at the moment? Whoopsies - kiss that life good-bye. :D -_- And so then, the original "jump with hover" behavior was put on alt jump instead, so you didn't have to worry about whether or not you aborted your high jump early enough to avoid wasting all your hover time (sooooo annoying in the original SMB2... -_-)

Lx Xzit wrote:[list][*] Toad and Peach in shell suit, won't bounce when they hit a block:
Spoiler
When they destroy a block they will stop and stand automatically loosing his "shell form" (even when you have "run" key pressing). This doesn't happen with Mario and Luigi.
This is because they're wearing the SMB2 shell - which, if you'll recall the NES and SNES versions, self-destructs when it hits a solid tile from the side, rather than bouncing back.
:D

Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Website Youtube channel URL

Post #3by Lx Xzit » 13 Aug 2016, 8:19

I think the idea of there being a sound effect for sliding down slopes comes from one of the Super Mario Advance games, actually. Either 2 or 4, I don't remember which. Maybe both, now that I think about it...heh. :p

Oh I didn't know, anyway I see these sound effect is removed in the latest patch. :P
Aw I love when my suggestions are listen

Things were set up this way back in 1.3 so that you could actually make use of all of Peach's hover time in one jump; without, say, accidentally letting go of the jump key and then pressing it again, only to no avail. Were you crossing a long gap at the moment? Whoopsies - kiss that life good-bye. :D -_- And so then, the original "jump with hover" behavior was put on alt jump instead, so you didn't have to worry about whether or not you aborted your high jump early enough to avoid wasting all your hover time (sooooo annoying in the original SMB2... -_-)

I also didn't know at some point the Peach fly was working by this way, then I'm glad the things were set up back. Thanks for clarify it, I will delete this to my suggestions.

This is because they're wearing the SMB2 shell - which, if you'll recall the NES and SNES versions, self-destructs when it hits a solid tile from the side, rather than bouncing back.

That's a good point, but in my opinion it should be more similar to the standard shell to replicate better the NSMB power-up. I guess this power-up will be used on this way:
Spoiler
For Mario and Luigi, it shouldn't be a problem break these blocks, but with Toad and Peach... I think it will be a bit glitchy (when you destroy the second and the third block), the players will stand and will lost their shell forms. Also SMBX doesn't exactly replicate some things, so I guess if Toad and Peach's shell form would act like Mario & Luigi ones it wouldn't be a problem. :P

Return to “Troubleshooting”