SMB3 Power-up System

Description: Have any suggestions or new ideas for SMBX-38A? This is a place for you. Good suggestions may appear in future versions of SMBX-38A.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, Moderators, Semi-moderatos

Super Mario Player M
Topic author, Duke
Duke
Super Mario Player M
Topic author, Duke
Duke
Youtube channel URL Tencent QQ

Post #1by Super Mario Player » 23 Jun 2016, 20:07

It would be great that SMBX use the SMB3 power-up system instead of the SMB1.
For those who don't know the difference, in the SMB3 system, the player when hit goes back to small Mario if he was Super Mario, dies if he was Small Mario (or Mini Mario as this system was also used in the NSMB series) and goes back to Super Mario if he was anything else (Fire Mario, Ice Mario, Raccoon Mario, etc.) apart from Starman Mario or Mega Mario.
In the SMB1 system (also used in SMW, and currently used in SMBX), the player when hit dies if he was Small Mario or Mini Mario, and goes back to Small Mario if he was Super Mario or anything else (Fire Mario and so on).
I've made sketches so that you can understand more easily:
SMB1 system:
Spoiler
SMB1 Powerup System.png

SMB3 system:
Spoiler
SMB3 Powerup System.png

As said above, SMBX currently uses the SMB1 system, which I think is bad, as it makes the games harder and I think most people are now used to the SMB3 system as it was used in every recent Mario games.
My current project:
Spoiler
The Tower of Challenges

Languages (for PMs):

YouTube channel:

Yoshi021 M
Yoshi021 M

Post #2by Yoshi021 » 23 Jun 2016, 20:29

You have the SMW inventory that kind of acts as the SMB3 system.
Links
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!" :pardon:

Super Mario Player M
Topic author, Duke
Duke
Super Mario Player M
Topic author, Duke
Duke

Post #3by Super Mario Player » 23 Jun 2016, 20:51

Yoshi021 wrote:You have the SMW inventory that kind of acts as the SMB3 system.
Not at all; the inventory lets you store another item to use it whenever you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you become small if you get hit.
Furthermore, NSMB and NSMB 2 both feature an inventory and both use the SMB3 system. So the presence of an inventory has nothing to do with the power-up system used.
My current project:
Spoiler
The Tower of Challenges

Languages (for PMs):

YouTube channel:

4matsy M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
4matsy M
Honourable citizen
Honourable citizen
Post #4by 4matsy » 24 Jun 2016, 9:09

The classic damage system was chosen for game balance reasons; combining the modern damage system with the SMW reserve item system would make the game too easy/unbalanced, as the Mario Bros. would get up to 5 hits total, while Peach/Toad/Link only got 3. :o
:D

Super Mario Player M
Topic author, Duke
Duke
Super Mario Player M
Topic author, Duke
Duke

Post #5by Super Mario Player » 24 Jun 2016, 11:39

Well, in that case, I think there should be a checkbox in the world options that lets you choose which system you want. Plus, a SMB3 system + an inventory does not make a hard game easy, it only makes it a bit easier.
In both NSMB and NSMB 2, there is the SMB3 system and the inventory, while in my opinion, these games weren't easy.
And if it really poses a problem, while not to disable the inventory if the SMB3 system is selected, or put another checkbox for it?
EDIT: The effect of the SMB2 mushroom could also be changed to give Peach, Toad and Link one extra heart like in SMB2, and let them have up to 5 hearts (which would let every character take up to 4 hits without dying).
My current project:
Spoiler
The Tower of Challenges

Languages (for PMs):

YouTube channel:

kitkat F
Marquis
Marquis
kitkat F
Marquis
Marquis
English Pronouns: she/her

Post #6by kitkat » 4 Jul 2016, 2:57

This might be able to be done in vanilla SMBX 1.4.2 (which I was thinking about not too long ago actually, lol) with some scripting involved.
I make stuff, I guess.

Super Mario Player M
Topic author, Duke
Duke
Super Mario Player M
Topic author, Duke
Duke

Post #7by Super Mario Player » 4 Jul 2016, 3:21

DaveDaCat101 wrote:This might be able to be done in vanilla SMBX 1.4.2 (which I was thinking about not too long ago actually, lol) with some scripting involved.
I think this could be done, as there is a way to run a script when the player gets hit, but I'm still wondering whether there is a variable standing for the current form of the player, or the HP they have left. If that's not the case... well, it might be hard to do, we'll have to find another way to get the player to become Super instead of Small.
My current project:
Spoiler
The Tower of Challenges

Languages (for PMs):

YouTube channel:

rotom407 M
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
rotom407 M
Nice citizen
Nice citizen

Post #8by rotom407 » 4 Jul 2016, 5:13

Super Mario Player wrote:
DaveDaCat101 wrote:This might be able to be done in vanilla SMBX 1.4.2 (which I was thinking about not too long ago actually, lol) with some scripting involved.
I think this could be done, as there is a way to run a script when the player gets hit, but I'm still wondering whether there is a variable standing for the current form of the player, or the HP they have left. If that's not the case... well, it might be hard to do, we'll have to find another way to get the player to become Super instead of Small.
According to the help file, Char(1).Status and Char(2).Status stands for the current form of the players. However, I didn't find a variable standing for the HP of a character.

Super Mario Player M
Topic author, Duke
Duke
Super Mario Player M
Topic author, Duke
Duke

Post #9by Super Mario Player » 4 Jul 2016, 12:43

rotom407 wrote:According to the help file, Char(1).Status and Char(2).Status stands for the current form of the players. However, I didn't find a variable standing for the HP of a character.
Thanks for the help, I'll try to make a script using this.
Edit: Unfortunately, it seems not to work, as the value of Char(1).Status is 1 when Player 1 is in normal form, and 0 if it is anything else. :/
Forget what I said! I succeeded to make it, the only flaw is that if you get hit as Fire Mario or equivalent forms, both the "Shrink" sfx and the "Grow" sfx are played at the same time. But I guess it doesn't matter; enclosed the level I tested it with.
smb3_powerup.zip
(20.9 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
My current project:
Spoiler
The Tower of Challenges

Languages (for PMs):

YouTube channel:

Sammzy M
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
Sammzy M
Nice citizen
Nice citizen
YouTube

Post #10by Sammzy » 10 Aug 2016, 19:54

Super Mario Player wrote:Well, in that case, I think there should be a checkbox in the world options that lets you choose which system you want.
Thats what I'm thinking... SMBX is supposed to be a customizable tool, right? So, let the player decide how they want their game to play like.
Forget what I said! I succeeded to make it, the only flaw is that if you get hit as Fire Mario or equivalent forms, both the "Shrink" sfx and the "Grow" sfx are played at the same time. But I guess it doesn't matter; enclosed the level I tested it with.
Yes, it works but it can be done better. Maybe it could possibly be polished and added to SMBX 1.4.3 .
"I Think I Deserve A Celebratory YEET" :dance2:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCukTer992x6Si4anxiXBVzw My Channel (Its not Much, But...)

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”