Two little suggestions(?) to improve physics

Description: Report bugs and ask questions regarding SMBX-38A here.
Moderators: Yoshi021, Lx Xzit, 5438A38A, TepigFan101, Moderators

Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Lx Xzit M
Topic author, Moderator
Website

Post #1by Lx Xzit » 22 Jun 2017, 10:04

I'd like to give some suggestions to improve physics (I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, not sure if the following this are errors or things that could be improved)

1- Climbing feels wrong. I'm sorry if I'm not able to explain this correctly but I'll give my best. When you're climbing and jump out, the player may have too much speed sometimes:

Spoiler
With Toad this is a disaster :P

Why this happens? I believe this happens because the player velocity (x and y) won't reset to 0 when he jumps out, a possible way to fix this is that in the exact moment the player stopped to climbing, reset player's x and y velocity.

Talking about climbing, it does not produce the sound effect of "climb" when the player climbs horizontally, it only play when it climbs vertically, could you please add the sound effect when he climbs vertically too?

2- Regarding raccoon and tanooki suits, their physics in the air are a bit too sliperly (compared to the SMBX 1.3 ones), but why? when the player is hovering and turns to the opposite side, a part of the code makes more slider than it should (code of the hover should not affect traction, only the speed which it falls). Why I believe there's a part of the raccoon code that affects the traction when the player is hovering? Well I made a little experiment:

Small Mario is using a script (Player 1). This script will do the same as the raccon & tanooki Mario does when it hovers: limit the player velocity to 2 when it's falling and "jump" key is being pressed. Raccon Mario (player 2) it's not affected by any script, which means it's using the own SMBX 1.4 physics. Both are using the same controllers. The idea is notice how Raccoon Mario has more traction than Small Mario:

Spoiler

In SMBX 1.3, physics works like small Mario does in this gif.
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! LX XZIT

Return to “Troubleshooting”